or Connect

Posts by Naim Andy Hilal

Great competition and some mouth watering submissions...!
  It's not a crock at all. Antibacterial agents may kill 99.97% of the bacteria, but guess what? The .03% that's left over is immune, and will multiply unchallenged. Next thing you know you've got an entire generation of resistant germs running wild in a monoculture on your countertop. Over time bacteria develop robust resistance and the antibacterial agents we use become useless. Keep in mind that antibacterial chemicals are themselves toxic (that's why they work) and...
Vitamin B12 is produced by bacteria in soil and not by fruits and vegetables. If you wash your produce too obsessively, you strip it of this essential trace vitamin.   If your husband is concerned about pesticides, he should be eating organic. Washing does not effectively remove pesticides, which may be absorbed in the tissues of the plant itself.   Most produce is already washed repeatedly by the time it reaches your shopping basket. There's really little need...
Wow there are so many things I would never eat... I'm pretty picky. I recently ate pate and intestines, each purely by accident, otherwise those would be on my list. I knew right away that something was wrong in my mouth but I went with it, at least for the 1 bite   Although I am not an adventurous eater, I have eaten insects. I had an entomology class in college and it was extra credit to cook something with insects and then eat a sample in front of the class. I...
Love: meats, snacks, hummus, coffee, alcohol, prices, dairy products, staff Hate: produce   Seriously, TJ's is great for almost everything, but produce really seems outside their skill set. It's as if their whole purchasing and delivery system is optimized for goods with at least a 10 day shelf life. They bend over backward to have a produce section, but it just isn't any good.   There are 3 problems with their produce: 1) General quality is not high. Flavor,...
Good perspectives, everyone. I guess it depends a lot on what's on the menu. If we're eating lasagna, period, there's not much harm in serving plates to everyone ready made. Of course if it's Thanksgiving dinner with 7 different dishes, plating is of course not appropriate. Visual presentation is nice but not the key issue for me. I think more important is getting it in front of people HOT and having fewer dishes to clean up at the end of the night. Also - depending on the...
I learned to cook by working the dinner shift in a restaurant, and since then I have always served my home dinners in a very particular way. I wonder if you do it too. (I'm partly wondering what other people do because I want to know if my way is rude or not). Basically, I don't put out serving dishes. Each guest gets a plate with food on it, assembled by me, and it is placed right in front of them at the table, nice and hot and beautiful. I like being able to wow my...