or Connect

Posts by ferryman

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SUCCESS OF YOUR DINNER!   The last time I had goat was while I was traveling in the Marquesa Islands and was amazed when I read about your last culinary venture.  For future reference, when I was in French Polynesia, they usually stewed goat in coconut milk similar to braising, as it can be so tough.  The results were quite tender but had a residual 'gaminess', something I found unappealing.  Perhaps, if they marinated the goat in...
I recently discovered a stash of home-made preserves and jams that seem to have discolored over time. Does this discoloration affect the quality of the food? What causes it? The jars were stored in a cupboard adjacent to a refrigerator; could this affect the quality?
I love Sophia Loren's cookbook, Recipes & Memories.  Along with very basic-but-great recipes, her life in film is also woven amidst the culinary.  She is one great actress who insists on cooking while on-location; rumor has it she always had a kitchen included in her dressing trailer.  AND, she was not above scrubbing the kitchen floor when it did not meet her approval for cleanliness!   I use her cookbook as an inspiration for classic but simple Italian dishes that...
Welcome to the Chef Talk forums, Chris!   I, too, started late in life but always had an interest in food, thanks to Dad; he told his sons that to appreciate fine food one must learn to prepare it.  Well, I never went to culinary school but have learned quite a bit from friends who have.  My background is architecture and I worked in hotel design and construction for many years until the current recession.   I admire your determination and wish you all the best...
My experience with induction cooktops on a commercial scale was as a hotel/resort facility planner for Marriott International.  Some cities in the world have no natural gas service and the cost of LP gas would have been prohibitive on that scale.  In those cases, induction equipment is specified and the culinary staff is trained in how to use them.  Commercial induction surfaces are not as polished as those for household use and therefore do not show as much surface...
I cooked on both Jenn-Air and Sears Kenmore induction cooktops (not portables) for about two years and the results were exemplary as compared with gas.  Their speed equaled or exceeded a gas cooktop's but without the extraneous heat.  And, clean-up was minimal as nothing was cooked onto the cooktop.  As a wonderful side note, I used the previous day's Washington Post as a liner: place one sheet of newsprint on the cooking surface and fire away!  When you're finished...
I like "Gastronomica" which discusses the more intellectual side of food and cooking.  Great reading!
What's so amusing is that as restored to original design and appearance as Williamsburg buildings are, they still meet current building, fire, and health codes.  Chowning's Tavern was considered the working man's gathering place as opposed to the more patrician King's Arms Tavern; both are somewhat authentic in their interiors but open those kitchen doors and the 20th century awaits.  I guess they use the modern recipe for rarebit as it works in today's kitchens, let...
I never lend a cookbook unless I know that the recipient has a long history of returning any borrowed books, let alone undamaged.  So far, that comes down to just one person; the rest are either given info as to where to find a certain recipe or a PDF version.  I have some autographed volumes that are never let out of my sight!
Here is the version served at  Chowning's Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg: http://www.history.org/almanack/life/food/fdwrare.cfm   Bon appetit!