or Connect

Posts by IronChefATL

If I ever need a lawyer to argue either side of a "cooked/not cooked" issue I am calling Boar_d_Laze!:roll:
Could somebody help to fill me in on the steps to being qualified for a chef instructors position. We have a good (so I hear) community college program here, plus LCB (wouldnt work there), and an Art Institute. The idea of teaching in the community college really excites me. I have about 10 total years experience and an AOS degree. At some point I recall that seeing the CHE requires two years as a Chef. I will have been The Chef (:smiles:) in December of this year...
if you have the book of yields what more are looking to find,as far as yields and conversions, that it doesnt cover?
I cannot recall making a roux/slurry thickened sauce in the past decade in a professional kitchen. One of my most forgetable restaurant sauce making experiences was the reduced cream sauces. (veal stock) Reductions, puree/puree-thickened, and salsa/relish type sauces (do/should) rule the day, IMO, in restaurants today.
cold pan add olive oil add sliced garlic heat on medium until garlic browns (toasty brown) remove garlic turn heat to high when really hot and smoky add mushrooms (crimini or whatever you like, oysters would have a fun texture and shape with ravioli) let the mushrooms get toasty...add some white wine/water/both return garlic, season, herbs (parsley, SAGE sure, even tarragon yum) reduce heat low, and wait for the pasta to finish. (under cooked finish in mushrooms...
So you have experienced that one too...sometimes you gotta wonder what is going is some peoples mind :crazy:
I would also recommend this site, to ask for answers on this subject. Some definite pros of home meat grinding around there......Smoking Meat Forums - Welcome to Smoking Meat Forums!
Likewise, having an inventory of some whole dreid chiles is better. As needed, you can make your own toasty fresh powders for dry seasoning, and superior chile sauce ,using whole vs. powder. For example when making Texas Chilli....Sweat down a mess of onions, toast chiles, cumin, beef broth, and so on.. Then puree and strain.
So whats this old deal with whistling in the kitchen "its bad luck" or "it means you want to kill the chef"? I hate it because if a cook is whistling then they aren't working fast enough. If a server is whistling, then they are causing noise in the kitchen, that isn't needed when people are concentrating.
I think that would be a stretch:beer: