or Connect

Posts by Wildwood

When I make a Thai red or Panang curry using lamb, the meat never comes out REALLY tender, and I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.   Here's what I currently do. For the meat, I've tried using the generic "diced lamb" sold in the shops, or lamb leg cutlets, a cut referred to as "escalopes" (but don't really know where that cut comes from), and boneless rolled shoulder which I then cut into chunks (versus sliced). I then marinade the meat for about 45 minutes in...
This weekend we had guests spend the night and for breakfast served :--Bloody Mary's--Eggs Benedict with salmon and dill-hollandaise--Roasted asparagusIt turned out to be a warm and sunny Sunday, so we all took a long leisurly walk with the dogs and popped into the pub for a pint. Before they left in the late afternoon :--Sautéd Queen scallop "Po boys"--Oven chips/fries--Sliced tomatoes with basil and fig-balsamic syrupDinner that evening for just the two of us (we were...
Thanks to everyone who responded. We had our little dinner party Saturday night and took BDL's suggestion for the mashed potatoes with parsnips - they were wonderful and really did give them a new dimension. We'd paired the spuds and started boiling them when we served the soup, and they were perfect for mashing by time we finished the soup and salad, so that they only took 5 minutes or so to plate up. In answer Skatz and DC Sunshine, the liver was fresh rosé veal from...
This is a follow-on from my original post "Critique of special menu required please". To summarize, we're planning a mains of calves liver with polenta or mashed potato, prepared as much in advance as possible.Last weekend we did a trail run to test timing, texture, taste, and presentation (using white china). Here are the results:The liver was cut into equally sizes (3 pieces pp), quickly pan fried with a wee bit of garlic, fresh sage leaves, parsley, lemon juice, red...
Speaking of pesto, for those who haven't come across it, Nigella Lawson has a fabulous recipe for Pea and pesto soup. It's great as-is, but I make my own pesto and use half chicken (or sometimes vegetable) stock and half water, and add a potato. A swirl of cream on the top is a fancy touch. Serve with a nice crusty roll. Lovely!Makes enough for 2 hearty bowls 750ml water 375g frozen peas 2 spring onions, trimmed but whole 1 tsp Maldon salt or ½ tsp table salt ½ tsp...
All-Clad pots and pansConcentrated stocks by More Than GourmetOld BayAroy-D coconut milkHand Brand Thai curry paste (as yet have only tried the red and Panang)Barkeeper's FriendE-Cloth (polishing cloth)Oven Pride oven cleanerMaldon Sea SaltGuinness (pulled, not canned!)Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
Thanks to all for the input. Our friends have their hearts set on liver and might be disappointed if it wasn’t the star attraction, so that has to stay. BDL, your points are well-taken concerning timing! All our friends gravitate to the kitchen, and I enjoy this during early prep stages, but not during time-critical bits when it’s all too easy to get distracted with conversation and...um...a wee tipple or two! A very tidy cook, I've most but not all timings figured out,...
Hi all...new member here.Hubby and I are planning an intimate dinner for two special friends. Offered a choice of dishes that might please them, one of their suggestions was calf's liver as a special treat. I've never put together a menu using liver before and would appreciate opinions on some of my choices. I want everything to work together and each course to compliment the others.* Green pea and pesto soup -- OR -- Crepes with sauteed field mushrooms and creamy chive...