or Connect

Posts by PBCook

We went to a bakery on vacation called Layers that specializes in cakes and they appeared to be doing a booming business.  There is one named Icing on the Cake in Los Gatos, CA.  Stella's is a good name, simple and not a name you hear everyday.  The literary reference is especially good if you live in the South.
Best frozen mini croissants ever at TJ's.  They are made by Galaxy, the same company that makes them for Williams-Sonoma.  $3.99  for 8 vs.  $39.95 for 24.  As the article pointed out, many of their products are made by companies that put a TJ label on them and TJ's sells them for a fraction of the price.
One of the best around here (Monterey, CA) is Lula's.  Both milk and dark are outstanding.  They are a local company but are sold at Whole Foods here so maybe they are sold at all Whole Foods.  See's is my all time favorite, it's not the best when matched up with gourmet chocolate but it's the chocolate equivalent of comfort food. They've been around for forever and a store that will hand you a piece of chocolate the minute you walk in the door will always have a special...
Shrimp is high in cholesterol but the jury is still out on whether the cholesterol from fish will cause a rise in cholesterol levels.
 I had my own list of things I wouldn't eat unless I was starving and maybe not even then but after reading everyone's replies, my list has grown.  I wouldn't eat snake meat, I don't care how it's prepared and seasoned. Monkey meat,  blood pudding, brains, tongue, chitlins, the list goes on but everything on it was once alive or it's life force, blood.  If I actually had to kill anything, I don't think I could eat it.  The mere description of slaughtering a cow or a pig is...
Thanks Diana!  Sometimes the simplest solutions elude me.  Reminds me of Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces ordering a chicken salad sandwich in an attempt to get toast.
No argument from me.  Unfortunately, the selection at BB&B as far as All Clad is pretty limited.  I haven't found any copper core AC there and the d5 AC line is still exclusive to W-S. If the item is at both stores, hands down buy at BB&B.  If you get a gift and don't have a gift receipt,  W-S won't take it back even if the W-S tag is on the box.
Customer service at W-S can be largely up to the store manager.  I worked at one for about a year just to get the discount and the store where I worked was wonderful, we would take back anything and bend over backwards to make customers happy.  Store policies changed in February 2010 though and now you can't return or exchange anything without a receipt, no exceptions.  If you do have a receipt, it's good for 90 days, after that, you can't even exchange.  I don't know what...
 We have a french door Amana that is six years old.  We didn't get the water and ice, just one more thing to break down. My favorite feature on ours is the big shelf at the bottom that will hold a giant party platter.  I also love the way the bottom freezer is designed, the baskets are perfectly positioned in my opinion.  I'm really happy with it and with the company, the compressor gave out 2 months after the warranty expired and Amana still replaced it for free!  And the...
 I have sent back an undercooked steak that I asked to be prepared medium and it looked as though it had been turned once or twice on the grill for 30 seconds and put on the plate.  It came back well done and I just left it.  I won't go back there.  I have sent back iced tea and asked for Coke instead.  Many of the restaurants in this area now serve only some sort of flavored iced tea only it isn't indicated on the menu and the server never mentions it.  It's happened...