or Connect

Posts by NadineC

Has anyone ever used one of those metal croissant cutters? Up to now I've been cutting them by hand with a pizza wheel, which has worked out fine for small-medium batches. Now that my business is increasing, I'm getting more requests for large croissants and cutting them to size consistently is getting tough. I saw a few rollers on Amazon, but the sizes looked rather small - 3"x8", or 5"x4". Those sizes never proof up large enough for the large & jumbo sizes I...
Has anyone used the ConAgra White Spray Pastry or King Midas Special flours? I recently switched to King Arthur, but with gas prices as they are my usual distributor raised their shipping charges and now it's going to cost me over $300 just for shipping, so I'm looking at ConAgra instead because I can get it locally. Does the CA White Spray equate to the KA Round Table Pastry flour? Same with the CA King Midas Special - is that the equivalent of KA's Special Spring...
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! My supplier is working hard to find me some alternatives in the companies you've recommended!
My current supplier has informed me he's longer able to get my preferred brand of pastry and whole multi-grain flours. They were produced in a very small mill which has gone out of business.    Can anyone recommend good quality pastry and multi-grain flours (prefer whole-grains) made without additives or bleaching? I use King Arthur AP and Bread flours and love them. Does anyone have a supplier who knows if King Arthur distributes any other flours wholesale for...
Any Nashville, TN area chefs know of any decent pastry or baking classes at Volunteer State Community, or maybe another local community college? I'm new to the area and didn't see anything offered at VolState. I'm completely self-taught to this point and I really want to improve my skills do be able to do more than a ciabatta loaf and Pillsbury ready-mix muffins. :) Not sure where else I could look that might offer non-credit classes for the home pastry...
Hi Boar,Thanks for the additional thoughts. The loaves always hold their shape and rise very nicely- maybe a little flatter than desired, but they definitely rise and definitely keep their shapes. I'm going to be reading up on many of the suggested texts above, and I'm going to try my hand again later this week. Hopefully, a little more knowledge and a lot more practice will start to yield some better results!
Thank you all so much for the great advice! I'm definitely going to be looking into the recommended books, and I'm going to take more time to keep working the dough by hand, rather than the food processor. Thanks again to everyone! Wish me luck this time around! Baking Day is today! :)
Thanks for the advice, Koko. If I add more water, then the dough gets very wet and sticky and I can't work with it unless I add more flour, thus drying it out again. What ratio of flour to water do I need to use to get that smooth dough, rather than a wet, sticky blob? My food processor is sadly only able to handle about 4 cups of flour max, so maybe I need cut the recipe in order to get the correct ratio?
Thank you both so much for the responses! I really appreciate them. Jock, here's the recipe I used for the french bread:4 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting2 teaspoons kosher salt1 1/2 teaspoons instant/rapid-rise yeastabout 1 cup of waterCombine flour, salt, and yeast in food processor. Pulse until processed. Turn processor ON, add water - pour, don't drizzle. Process until dough forms into a shaggy ball. If dough is too wet, add flour 1/4 c at a time and...
I've been attempting various bread baking endeavors for about two months now, and I've come across a problem that's really been the absolute thorn in my side of baking. No matter what I do, the bread always comes out dense and heavy. I've tried kneading the dough less, kneading it more, adding less/more water/flour, less rising time, more rising time, hotter oven, cooler oven. Instant yeast, active yeast, fresh yeast. All the same results; dense, heavy bread. I'm really at...