or Connect

Posts by chefedb

I use olive oil, butter, clarified butter, and canola oil ( sometime sesame and pnut orierntal foods)  each for a different purpose.
Watch TV  Restaurant Impossible  with Chef Robert  Irvine   All different scenerios
Go to a reputable store look at all the knives. Don't look where they are from or how much . Pick them up and see how comfortable they feel. I feel a good 8 inch French knife for beginners is best. Don't try and keep up with the Joneses.re price. Some of the people on her spend fortunes for nothing. America and Germany are sometimes as good as the Japanese knives. Depends how you take care of it. Good Luck   PS  I have seen kids in first semester culinary schools spend...
In New York in large on premise caterers.  Deposit anything on signing in 2 weeks 50% of minimum guarantee. . Balance due day of function . Final guarantee as to # Guest night before. It must be above or same as original guarantee.   In event of cancelation, if room resold for same amount as function all back less 10% admin.fee If not sold  patron is libel for 50% of contract.(unless death or serious injury)   Keep in mind people that came in after them and...
Should be made as close to actual service as possible  Maybe ask your cook to eat a dish of them himself. Your in charge and buck stops at your door, you are responsible. If he does not listen , tell him there are 2 million people in your state, therefore you have 1 million and more to choose from for the job.
Buzzy O Keefs former place as was River Café a buddy of mine was a manager there. Was a great place
Sausage and corn chowder.   A corn and sausage Rattattuoi type dish. Stuffed peppers with corn sausage and potato stuffing. All sautéed and ground up as a stuffing or forcemeat.  Can't think of a dessert?
Chef Ross Indy steaks are also  handled like you state. Then depending on time of service be held. I do not like to use Cambros because they trap wet heat and I prefer dry heat of low oven for holding. I found best way is mark them at job sight if possible.
If your talking sliced tenderloin that's different then individual steaks. That  can be seared at your commissary and put in oven at the sight to finish. Indi steaks I would grill or sear at the sight of actual party (cook real rare) , then put on sheet-pan and finish or hold in oven till service. This is the way most caterers do it.
Commercial already made sauces are thickened with all types of things. Home made as Old School says is all in the  cooking,  longer you cook the thicker it gets. Which is the real way. Adding all those additives and thickeners is great  for a school lunch program.