or Connect

Posts by Zane

Hello, Been a few years since I posted. I did a year in culinary school but had to drop out because I needed full time work to pay bills. At the time I dropped out I was working a stage for a few weeks at a local french restaurant. This was maybe 4 years ago. I'm now a little older but for the past few years have been doing work outside of culinary. I now find myself laid off and looking for a new job.   I want to get into a kitchen. I've noticed during my time off my...
Our school uses http://www.chefworks.com/
Got a new chef coat yesterday, and this morning I'm making sure my knifes are cleaned and honed. I'll  let you guys know how it goes.
Im in no position to argue, im just going to do what they tell and show me to do. Hopefully it makes me come across as bright and a hard worker.
So I've gone from the networking process to the doing process.  I'm working my first stage this Tuesday!
Im sorry if this comes off as a blog type post...   Today I had my first practical exam. We were to chop a carrot with four different cuts, dice an onion , chop parsley and fabricate a chicken into 8 pieces.   I did decently with the cuts, but fell apart with the chicken. I'd cut one leg and when I'd go to the other it wouldn't be as easy, same with the wings and getting the breasts off was hard to do.   I ended up getting a C, and teared up a bit when my...
Thanks, I'm just worried I don't have enough skill. The places that have offered to me are high class and I'm just worried of embarassing myself and wasting someones time.
I've started to network with some local chefs here in San Diego and have multiple offers to work a stage once or twice a week. I have one semester of baking under my belt and almost one semester of savory (regular cooking) done. I have basic knife skills. What do professional chefs look at when people are working a stage?
I'm craving something spicy, very spicy and hot. Anyone have any good recipes?
This might sound a bit odd but how did they (in this case the CIA since my textbook is from their company) find out that the danger zone is 40 - 140 (f)? How does 1 degree (39) change the concept of food turning? Am I to assume that if I stored my food at 39 degrees it is safe, but all of a sudden at 40 it will turn? How was this range determined?