or Connect

Posts by GoodChef

You left out one important point, every student whether still in school and or who has just graduated classifies them self a Chef, They haven't qualified as a good dish washer. My observations when presented with a station or a job other than what tey were hired for they fall apart.   I have watch cook shows and have been aghast at how many Chefs are so unfamiliar with certain foods, from around the world, I watch one Chef complain because his restaurant only sells...
Need some help in the use and comparison of Lye, I realize that Red Devil seems to be the Lye of choice, how ever with the over reaction of big Brother, and certain Agencies it is almost impossible to buy.   Now I did find a Lye here locally, sorry i can't remember the name and it is a course grind vs., the powder grind of Red Devil, I have read about checking some of the Hobby soap making stores but I would like to stay with the Red Devil brand if...
You might want to check some of the local motels in the area that have kitchens, some are floundering and looking for new blood and you might pick up a small restaurant to boot in the deal.
I would like to commend you are pursuing your dream. Might I offer some advice,first research the area you are going to, as you stated you are in AR, not to many oceans their. Next with the developments of the last few years might I suggest that you do some very heavy research on the fish in your area, you will find out much like crops, fish runs seasonal as well.   The developments of the last year years and kept pretty quiet is the Chemical contamination of fish...
What type of yeast are you using? dry and or active, one you do not have to bloom the other has to be bloomed. Inown this sounds wierd but double check the yeast.  
        Here we go, hope this helps. Most sheets weight about 1/10 of a oz. (3 g), The amount of liquid to soften is not that important, if you use 2 teaspoons (10 ml) per sheet.Once softened you can place in a Bain - Marie to melt. To use the sheets on a recipe calling for sheets make sure the weights are the same or calculate 1 sheet of gelatine to 3 teaspoons (3 g) of powdered gelatine.Squeeze the water out of the sheets omitting any of the water from the...
Here is a recipe for making White Chocolate it is from Chef Bo Friberg book,   1 1/2 oz (40g) coca butter 1 pound 5 ounces (595g) white chocolate 5 ounces (140g) light corn syrup 1/2 cup (120ml) simple syrup  Cut the cocoa butter into small pieces, place them in a bowl over simmering water. Stirring constantly, just until melted. DO NOT over heat. Remove from the heat stir in the corn syrup and the simple syrup, mix until smooth.   Work the mixture into a...
Just read your concern, have you tried lightly dusting with cornstarch, don't go crazy or it will dry it out. I don't know the size of the fondant but if it is 1 LB (454g) ,add 2 tsp (10) (CMC) or gum tragacanth.   I sure hope this helps.
Hope this helps and since you have said this is your first time either eating or working with Figs, one thing you will notice is trying to find just the right one that isn't to old or hard or wrinkled.Try Carmel dipped Figs, after making the Caramel let it cool and come to the consistency of syrup . Insert a skewer or point knife into the base if using skewers have them Raddy for how many figs you have and are going to dip, place a spoon or ruler at the edge of the work...
This recipe will yield 3 cups 1 pound of sugar,(455g), 1/3 c (80ml) water, 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) lemon juice, 2 Tblsp 930 ml) glucose or light corn syrup, 1 1/2 C (360 ml)heavy cream, 2 oz (55g) unsalted butter.Sure hope this wrks out for you.