or Connect

Posts by GreenGuy

I currently have a fairly nice collection that I am happy with, but I'm always looking to pick up some new tools, so I'm planning on getting a some new knives in the coming months.   First, I'm looking for a knife to use while on the line during service.  What do you pros prefer to use?  I'm leaning towards a short suji/long petty.  I hear they are pretty common to use on the line, and it makes a lot of sense.  Currently, I mostly use a 270mm suji or sometimes a...
I think it is a wise choice to stick with the Mercers for now, and learn proper care and maintenance before spending a lot of money of a new knife.  Mercers are not the greatest knives, but they are just fine to learn on, and are great to practice sharpening on.  FWIW, when I started cooking I just used house knives for a while.  They were pretty awful and rarely got sharpened, but they worked until I eventually got my own.  I started with a cheap 8" Henckels...
Personally, I would stay away from most of those, especially the Henckels everedge/eversharp.  Also, you probably don't need a set, as most of those knives are unnecessary and redundant.  Of the ones you listed, the only decent option is the Wusthof, which are okay at best.  Wusthofs are pretty standard German knives, not horrible, but not great, and pretty pricey.  Also, I wouldn't want to go into debt and pay interest just for a couple knives.  What are you using now?...
The Messermeister is also listed at "1200" but like you said, it doesn't mean it's the same as Idahone's 1200, which is probably finer.  I still have half of it attached to the handle, maybe I can still use it on my petty, haha.   Out of my better knives (Misono sweden, Kikuichi Carbon Elite suji, and Misono 440 petty) which would you say are actually worth taking up to 8k?  Right now, I finish all of these on my 8k.  Would some of them be better off stoping at 4k,...
I'm not really sure why I didn't like the ceramic rod, but it just felt weird using it, and also left my knives feeling a bit rough.  I'm not sure if maybe the Idahone would be better, or I'm just used to the feel of a more polished edge.  But to be fair, I had barely used it before it broke, I would have like to give it some more time to get a good idea of what is does.  I used the strop (unloaded leather) to deburr after sharpening, and it seemed to work quite nicely,...
Got the Messer, it broke.  To be honest, I didn't really like it so much.  I'm going to try the F. Dick polished packing steel.  It's cheap and much less likely to break.  I'm also gonna pick up a strop to try out, although I'll still need a steel at work.
This has probably been addressed before, so I apologize in advance for redundancy.  I've been using a grooved steel and realize it is not the best option and probably does more harm than good, so I want to upgrade.  I have a Misono Swedish gyuto and Kikuichi Carbon Elite suji as well as some Forschners.  I sharpen my most used knives (gyuto and suji) 1-2 times a week on 1000, 4000, and 8000 grit stones.  I have worked mostly with fish, but will be working with meat on a...
It could just be the restaurant you are working at.  I've only got a few years experience, but I started at a restaurant that I enjoyed working at and then took a job at a very good restaurant that made me feel pretty much how you feel.  Even after a few weeks I hated it and it killed the passion I once had so I began looking for jobs outside of the restaurant industry and was about to change careers completely.  I didn't stay there very long, and while looking for jobs...
Has anyone noticed that the prices for Misono has dropped over the last month or two?  Does anyone know why?  I feel like I got ripped off buying mine a few months too soon.
Lenny, sometimes I wonder that, too, haha.  I enjoy and take pride in what I do, and I like having nice equipment to work with, so I don't mind spending the money on the knives that I have in my hand for hours every day.  I'm still relatively new to the biz, but I worked very briefly at a michelin star restaurant in NYC and everyone there had high end japanese knives and I realized that the properties of a well made knife can make a difference when working with very...