or Connect

Posts by sweetchefny

My research into trying to find a basic POS system for my upcoming, small, bakery-cafe has left me confused and frustrated.  My experience is mostly BOH in bakeries, so my knowledge of these systems is minimal and I'm not even sure what the right questions are to ask.  As a result, everyone is trying to sell me the "kitchen sink".  My menu includes bakery, as well as some savory items (soups, salads, chilis).  Is there anyone out there running a similar operation that...
Hi ChefBillyB -  These are great too!  Thanks.  
Hi Momandchef! Yes, I loved FREEdom bakery also, but I found out its copyrighted.   
 Hello Swinne - Yes, its possible, but the #1 biggest concern is cross-contamination issues between the regular and the GF products.  I plan on having separate equipment, utensils, storage, and displays.  Staff training is also KEY. 
Hi Ashley -   Wow - I just read through all the response you received to your initial post.  Here's my 2 cents.  I was a career changer who decided to pursue my passion in baking and went to culinary school (The CIA) for a degree in baking and pastry arts, with no prior hands-on or bakery experience.   Although I made the right decision to go to school, I watched many others start with the same dreams and passion as you expressed, only to drop out after they...
I agree with everyone else about the sugar, but have a few more suggestions for you.  I make marshmallows all the time.  Be sure you whip the mixture until the bottom of the bowl is room temperature.  Once you get the mixture into the pan, cover it with the cornstarch/10X mixture and let it set overnight at room temp before attempting to cut them.  Once cut, keep dusted with the cornstarch/10X mixture to prevent them from sticking together. 
Very good point!  Thank you again .  
Thanks for your response Chefpeon.  I actually tried this exact ratio yesterday, not adding any additional cream and, though it worked well, I would have liked to have seem it a little lighter (I was afraid of overwhipping it).  I was doing some more research and came across another suggestion which said to hold back some of the cream in the initial ratio, make and refrigerate the ganache as usual, and add the held-back amount of cream to the ganache the next day and whip...
Thank you so much Samantha !! 
Hi Samantha -   Yes, gelatin is an option - thank you!  Do you add the additional cream (once its heated and cooled) before or after you add the gelatin?