or Connect

Posts by jamlady

Hi Chris,   I like your temperature. That's what I call "low", as opposed to the general 350 that a lot of people automatically turn their oven to. Some digital ovens won't even go as low as 110, so you've got great flexibility with your stove. 
Wow, what an interesting topic to me!  First, I think you're pretty darned smart, Brian, to take this to the next level. The type of canning you used to do is called "open kettle" in USDA lingo. It's not recommended for shelf stability (but great for refrigerating) because open kettle does not create a true vacuum. If the safety seal punches down, it does so only because the ingredients have cooled and contracted, but the oxygen in the head space is still there, and will...
K-girl, hi! I'm mostly German, so my grandparents were pretty diligent about making flavored alcohol, rumtopf, etc.  I have a beautiful wide mouth Mason of blackberry vodka here in my kitchen that is fun to sip on occasion! I can only guess as to whether or not your process is going to work. I can tell you that once my mother (bless her, she can't boil water) "canned" green beans (i.e., she didn't process them), and not only did the lids bulge, but the jars exploded one...
  I guess I don't quite understand the reference above. 8 cups of what?    Wiping the rims is important, but if you processed the jars in a water bath and the seal was made, you're good.  For future reference, the plasticol (red waxy perimeter of a canning lid) is like glue in a way. Once the temperature of the jar drops after processing, the "glue" tends to harden, making a perfect, unique connection with that imperfect jar rim. (E.g., no jar rim is perfect under a...
In case you ever end up with a basket of cherries needing TLC again, I love pickling them whole (without the pit). I use white wine vinegar, sugar, and pure almond extract, but you can decide on what spices best suit your palate. I can them in wide mouth pints. Then in the winter, I gobble them up on roasted chicken and various desserts. I think they are perfect on chicken. The dark syrup is gorgeous streaming off the white meat. OK, I'm making myself hungry. Time for a...
Would you consider revamping the recipe so that it is a condensed soup -- one that the consumer would be required to add dairy to reconstitute?  Before marketing, I'd have it tested by a local lab for shelf life, pH, mold, etc.  You probably already test pH anyway?
I vote for America's Test Kitchen.  I enjoy food science as much as actually cooking, and their books have so many scientific explanations. But their recipes range from basic to adventurous cookery.
I think you are very wise to go ahead and water bath. I tell my canning students that it's like wearing a seat belt.     Chances are, you could decide not to buckle up before driving your car, and you'll still reach your destination just fine.  But even though your a careful driver, you can't control everything around you.     That one time you decide not to buckle up, there could be a crazy driver on the loose. He hits you, your car flips, and you're gone.  And...
Teaching my children how to can recently resulted in the biggest thrill for me and for my daughter.  The students in my 15-year-old daughter's health class were given the assignment to each bring in a favorite food to share with the class.  They had to share the recipe, if it was from scratch, or the nutritional analysis if it was prepared and packaged.  A microwave was provided for light cooking if required.   After a week of sitting through packaged cookies, chips,...
@ Worldcook - an idea for making pear preserves that have some body.  Instead of processing your pears like an applesauce, try this.  Peel and core pears.  On your food processor, insert a "fine grate" disc.  Send your pears down the feed tube and let the processor create a fine shred pear.  Toss the shredded pears in a nonreactive pot with a 1/4 cup lemon juice for every 8 cups pears.  The lemon not only helps the pH value, but heigthens the pear flavor.  Sweeten as you...