or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Don't know where you are but here in the USA all crab is cooked on the ships that catch them before they come to dry dock and are frozen right then and there. Wow how cool it would be to have fresh uncooked crab. I envy you.
I hear ya........   If it were just about cooking that would be great.......   I too left the industry because of the drama and found a dream job as a private Chef. I get to create and cook anything I want. The clients is happy and that leaves me fulfilled.   You might want to look into private or personal Cheffing yourself.
I just did a quick Google search and found a site where you could contact the health department in Utah and ask your question online.   www.servsafe.com/ss/Regulatory/rr_state_juris_summ.aspx?st=Utah  
Although there are many restaurants out there that utilize certified Chefs, it is still something that many Chefs do for personal growth. The competitions help teach a multitude of useful skills that one can use to enrich their careers but.....again....I maintain that the ACF is not for everybody. This is something that is dependent on what you wish to achieve in your career.   Kuan asked you how many people you supervise for a reason.   ACF is all about sharing and...
Up here in the Midwest, you will find everything from instant powdered gross stuff to "Nestea" right out of the soda guns. Some places will make one small pot of hot tea and pour it into a glass of ice with lemon. Very few places here brew actual tea to ice.
I just want to add this. You are a Chef. You have always been a Chef. In your heart, in your soul. Don't be terrified, Be optimistic. With your skills you can walk into ANY kitchen and simply "see" what needs to be done. All kitchens run pretty much the same no matter where you go. It's the unorganized, not planned, not directed places that need your help and insight. Go in there and do what you know needs to be done.
Very astute and wise words.Words that can only have come through experiences and life lessons.True that! One more thought here. I have read similar stories of Sous Chef's who work hard to hold up their Chef and make them look good while tackling the everyday issues of a restaurant. While some Chefs DO work on the line and manage, many do not.But what I wanted to point out is that although they are the boss of the kitchen, they are still human beings with needs and wants,...
Whenever  I hear the word "fine dining" with the word steak after it.....I am amused.   Steak and chops do no fine dining make, and to that end I wonder what people DO think fine dining is.   A medium rare steak is still a medium rare steak whether its in a casual high volume place or in an elegant white tablecloth and candle setting.   The steak still needs to be cooked right.   Your entry into the world of higher end cooking may teach you a few new things you...
No matter where you choose to work, you're going to learn something. An interview is just that. As you explain yourself to the manager, he or she will decide where your present talents will fit in the kitchen. You will probably start at a low position and through your motivation and work ethic will prove you can be brought up through the ranks.   If I was interviewing you I would tell you that cooking at home for friends is NOT the same as cooking in a high volume...
QUOTE......"IF the anecdote about French Laundry is true. You'd probably have to be a real chef in a real restaurant even to interview to be a commis at French Laundry. MANY chefs I know would be happy to be a pot washer there. I would if I could afford to do it.  If Keller (or you) wants to call a commis a chef in his kitchen, that's his (your) choice no matter what the rest of us say. But we have good intentions by giving you the advice we did. And a commis at French...