or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Okay...now I'm going to take the other approach.   First welcome to ChefTalk.   Second, she's your Sous girl. She's know everything you know.    What I wouldn't have given for a Sous to step up and take charge to make my life easier.   She wants to make the schedule?  Fabulous.   She wants to send some crew home on a slow night?  Why NOT???   If she wants to take inventory and do the ordering, you should be exuberant and happy, so I think you are...
Panini's QUOTE;   I had always felt the exact same way about my career.   For years, I've always heard about the passion that drives us. I sometimes felt that this was the only industry that had an understanding for passion. So much so, it almost validated all the ( abuse ) for lack of a nicer word.   It wasn't until I semi-retired, that I diversified my efforts and invested into other professions. I can now see that there is so much more in the world to observe. All...
Hey Someday....hope you are well........Remember that new people are joining Cheftalk all the time.They don't know about old threads or the archives that saved them. Theyare just responding with some new comments
Trust your instincts. You don't say where you are in relationship to where they are.   Is there travel involved? Time and gas. 2 meals a day times 7 days times 5 weeks=70 meals.   2 adults and 2 kids?  Menus for the kids can be tricky.   You don't have to be there for all of those days so you can prep ahead and freeze some things.   Breakfast, however; to me, is a meal I believe you should be there for. What would you possible prep ahead and freeze for...
I have a plain old colander that I used a metal drill bit on to open the holes just a little bit more. Works great.
She may very well be a Sous Chef, but only there at that place.My response to this pattern where job titles are handed out with abandon without the experience and qualifications has left me confused.I went back and re-read the original thread... "Hey guys, I'm 21, female, and graduating from Culinary School next week! My current workplace is opening another concept in 5 weeks and I have been asked to be the sous chef. I feel confident about my abilities but I'm worried...
3) At any point does the pay get better or start to get benefits?   QUOTE: I'm most intimidated by the idea of burning out.  Never having a weekend off and 60 hr work weeks. Or never making it and being 40 and making $12/hr.    Have you every worked at a place with some weekends off? Or vacation time? Made a menu? What kind of places pay well? I don't really care about making a ton of money, I just want to be stable. I'm pretty low maintenance. Pay my bills and have a...
Teamfat, I was just going to say that I have never seen a 5# tenderloin. That must be a hog on steroids.........
Welcome to Cheftalk freshbaked.   You have a long road ahead of you.   Firstly, know you are not a Sous Chef freshly graduated from culinary school.   I hate to say that your current workplace has given you a name...pure and simple. You are going to have to grow into that name through hard work and respect.   I can't tell you what to say or do to earn the respect of your peers. That's something that is either part of your personality or not and only you can figure...
 Best words I've heard in a long time. Great words, great attitude. I hope that avez heeds your words, but I fear he has his mind set on leaving instead.