Posts by Chefross

My goodness, whatever did we do before cell phones? Oh yeah, told all our friends and relatives that we are at work and can't call or talk right now.   Remember?/????
#1 is a set of drink concoctions made in the blender   #2 are called "Quenelles" and are sauteed in butter or olive oil   #3 sounds like "Creme Anglaise" or some other kind of pastry cream   #4 and #5 are variations on ham and bean soup. #6 is an apple crisp     #7and #8 are both cookie recipes   and #9 is a bread recipe
My legs are marshmallows today. Only 93 guests, but it was the hard way. Inexperienced staff, fussy customers, and long wait times. Sitting in the sun enjoying a beer and trying to forget my legs......
Welcome to ChefTalk HelloThe Guy   I'm going to be blunt with you here.  You come off as too immature to take the job at the other place.   Firstly no music and talking in the kitchen is part of a Michelin starred restaurant ways of doing things. You gotta be on the ball with every plate you put out and talking or music can defer your attention. Seriously!!!!   Also.....how would YOU feel, if you were working at a a place that allowed staging? Every week a new...
Hi Isis and welcome to Cheftalk.   You need to realize that math is something everyone uses each and every day in their lives.   The answer to your question is yes, math is important, and you'll need to use it in culinary school. I suggest getting a tutor for yourself to get a better handle on your math skills.....good luck
Firstly I must say that even though a James Beard award winning Chef may own his or her own kitchen, it doesn't necessarily mean that fantastic award winning food is going to come out of that kitchen each and every day.   I personally dislike DDD. Guy's character does not warm the cockles of my heart, nor do I care for his TV persona. I find his remarks stupid, infantile, and condescending.   I also see that America's love for large portions has not abated yet, and the...
When I worked as a private Chef, the client wanted recipes followed. He was in to Julia Child, Michael Fields, French Laundry, Charlie Trotters, etc.....and it was important to follow their directions carefully.    The first time I made Coq au Vin  following my French Chefs recipe, I was told that it was "very nice" but please make it this way (Julia's).   Focaccia made from "The Baker's Apprectice" was also "very nice" but please use this recipe in the future....(also...
Welcome to ChefTalk.   I hope you were able to feel a little better after venting here.   Many of us now exactly how you feel as we have been there before. It sounds like you know what needs to be done, but your are waiting for someone to give you a kind pat on the shoulder and tell you so.   Here it is:  You hired him, you can fire him. If he won't allow you to speak and is always defending himself....if he is talking smack behind your back, that doesn't bode well...
Ahhhh...memories....   When I held court, it was classic rock. It's nine o'clock am and Led Zeppilin is screaming out the kitchen doors......
But..............These B.S. artists were smart enough to pull it off right?As you said they found a way to make it work.To you, it may seem that these Chefs gave up their life for work, but try looking at it from the point of view, that if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life.