or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Yeah that's the stuff.  My mom always added stuff to it to help extend the food for our family.I was an adult before I realized those soft dumplings in the Suey were actually undissolved cornstarch my mom used to thicken it with. YUCK!!!
I am just about to start our apple processing here. We had a frost already to set the sugar in the grapes in the vineyard, so those will be ready this next week as well.   I make apple pie filling and can them in quarts. It takes two quarts for each pie. It already has the spices, sugar, and butter in it. Just pour and bake. I also make apple cider. I did a pictorial on it over the years and have posted it here on ChefTalk. This year, we are getting a 300 rpm motor...
Welcome to the restaurant world and also to ChefTalk
.....and since this is about culinary pet peeves, I'll take it from a different view here.   Chefs changing names of time honored recipes in order to reflect their personal cooking style.   Case in point.  Go out to a "fine dining" establishment and see "Osso Bucco" as an appetizer. Server swears it's a typo and insists it's an Entrée. So I order this with great anticipation, as I make it at work and love it. Out comes this huge white pasta bowl with overcooked...
Kuan....you need to go to the store and buy a can of Chow Mein....now THAT"S  the real McCoy...     -:)
At first I wasn't going to touch this one, but then.........   If you are truly interested in the food service industry, my advice would be first and foremost, to learn how the Chili's corporate Chefs want their food prepared. Yes, this may sound elementary, but what I am getting at is those corporate Chef's designed the food sold at Chili's to be prepared a certain way. Many line cooks at some of these franchise places will look at the recipes or plate designs or what...
Opening the oven during baking can make choux fall. Also, another tidbit, is to gently poke a hole in them after they come out of the oven to allow steam to escape. Oven temps in recipes differ, so it may be a trial and error thing as well.
I see right off the bat that 2 of your recipes call for cake flour as opposed to all purpose. Recipe 1 has butter while the other three do not. It looks like the dry to moist ratio is a result of the different flours perhaps. Also, the recipe doesn't say what size eggs....that too, makes a difference.
Here's my Jewish grandmother's recipe....no amount though...... You can understand..   Beef chuck roast cut into 1/2" pieces  and dredged in seasoned flour Large cut carrots, onions, potatoes, beets, large diced green cabbage water catsup lemon juice brown sugar dry mustard salt/ black pepper tomato sauce diced tomatoes   Cooked on the stove for hours as I recall.
Borscht is simply peasant food and to that end ingredients vary depending on location. Is there are TRUE recipe?  I doubt it.   In my family we had it hot with meat and boiled potato on the side (Polish style) or ate it as a vegetarian variety with sour cream