or Connect

Posts by Chefross

I think the first step to take is to change your thought process. You say you dislike baking (hate is a very strong word) so I'm thinking your subconscious is interfering with your abilities.   Baking is a science of mathematics where ingredients are measured and calculated together with time and technique. If you are used to cooking without using measurements and believe that baking is the same, you're going to have problems.   Time and patience are key in...
I buy a fresh Amish turkey each year. There is a ball of ice on the inside. Butcher says the turkeys are placed in a very cold warehouse where ice can form in the area that they are held is cooler than the rest of the room. It happens.
Trying to dry age a piece of meat at home without the proper temperature/moisture conditions is a recipe for disaster. Your nose knows. Smell is a great way of telling if something is not right, however; contaminated food doesn't always smell.   45 degrees is in the danger zone and bacteria has grown on that meat for 4 days. And not the good bacteria...... Do you really want to continue this knowing that?
Well made rice pilaf
Well said. Such great advice above...........only comes from experience. If you don't take responsibility for yourself and your career, who will.
Oh wow!!!   You might as well use beef and chicken bases, it you are not going to make stock the correct way. Why bother? Chicken stock takes 2-4 hours. Beef 6-8 hours. You want to do this right, you need to FIND the time to do it.
4 in the kitchen. 120-170 covers. No reservations.  I don't see a problem here.
Not so much websites but I read periodicals like Food and Wine, Sante', Foodservice Today, Plate. These have articles with what's hot behind the lines of today's restaurants.
When I did that, I was slicing cooked lobster and lobbed off the tip of my finger. I calmly picked up my finger tip and placed it in ice water and walked into the food production manager's office and showed him what I'd done. After the hospital visit to get the finger cleaned stitched and bandaged, I went back to work and finished my shift.
This is a perfect example of recipe defiance (what I call it)Remember that recipes are merely guidelines and are someone else's cooking technique.You will have to work through the recipe and experiment with what works for you. I make oxtails often and they take at least 2 hours or more at a low simmer to get tender.