or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Wine decanters come in all shapes and sizes. The one that fits your hand best is the one to choose. Looking at a picture does not allow this. Best advice is to check out a wine store or kitchenware section of your nearest store.
  Chicago Terry, I don't see your argument as to the cost of eating better.No one suggests that free range and organic is the way to eat healthy. A bag of chips, with no nutrition DOES cost less than a bag of apples.Now take that bag of apples home and let it sit on the counter and rot because you can't eat them all within the time it takes them to break down. I too have been out of work during my career. I ate chicken livers, and oatmeal because they were cheap to buy.I...
Many older vintages of wine are helped by decanting.   Simply uncorking a bottle of wine does not allow it to breathe much.   Allowing air to mingle with the wine allows the flavors to come out.   Allowing a decanter of wine to sit for an hour or less helps, but, also, there is a window in which some wines reach a maximum taste profile and then starts to decline after that.   When decanting, it's useful to have a mesh strainer to catch any particulate from the...
I take issue with this post on several points.I want to know how a turkey sub is better than risotto? Fast food does not have to be unhealthy.  This I'll agree on.Fine dining does not have to be expensive.iMany people have no clue about this category. Steak and chops do not fine dining make. I say this all the time. In this day and age a working mom with 2 jobs is not an excuse to not eat healthy. Organization and timing are key.Sure....after a long day at work (or 2) who...
Make it at work several times a month.Have butter chilled, and water iced. Keep dough cool throughout the process don't stretch the dough and don't forget to let the rolled out dough rest before filling and baking.
Never cared for the flame broiled burgers @ the King. Believe it or not, the nearest McDonalds, Wendy's Burger King, are 70 miles away....(hard to believe these days as they are everywhere) I can live with that.   I can't remember that last time I had fast food. I do remember that I get a weird stomach afterwards.
The old vs. new is more about the personality issue then work ethic.   By and large cooking technique, irrespective of the new tools and equipment of the modern kitchen, have changed little. Chicken noodle soup recipe in  1943 is still made the same way today. (lol except no chicken base....ha-ha...)   Be mindful that cooks working their way up in 50'-60's and 70's were exposed to working conditions different then ours now. The Chefs that ran those places also grew...
 It screws up the grease compounds and shortens its' life.
Been there and done that, but only as an emergency. Sausage links too.  Ruins the grease though....
Many of us have countless experience baking sheet pan after sheet pan of bacon. The night before, we open a box of 18-22ct layer bacon and slip tow or three on a sheet pan, then a parchment then another pan. Repeat as necessary   I never gave a thought to flavor profile of the bacon after it was baked. . Recently at work, I was making Quiche Lorraine for a brunch, and, like I always baked the bacon. In my particular situation, this keeps the bacon grease from...