or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Great points all chefedb......   Yes you'll work a lot....7 days a week..... You are pretty much a food factory. Depending on your experience beforehand cruise ship dining can run the gamut from cheap eats to elegant fine dining.   This is a great opportunity for a young person to get experience in high volume cooking and expertise in prep work.   The work is not for just anyone. It can be very easy to burn out quickly from the workload and work week. If you are...
Not necessary.You do it to cut down on the cooking time.
French Bordeaux is usually quite dry. One sip and all the moisture in your mouth evaporates......can you say pucker?????
  I was told many years ago by a Chef that if there is a slight burning sensation in the back of your throat after eating chocolate, then it was a cheap kind that was cut with carob.
Has anyone considered approaching the farmer to ask if they'd grow for you?   I had the chance to work with locally produced vegetables and fresh berries. I contacted the farmers in the area and asked them what they grew.   A YEAR before, I planned a progressive menu utilizing what the farmer was going to grow.   Romaine lettuce for salads Green beans for veggie squash, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, micro-greens like Mache' and baby endive, beet greens...
The definition of Sous Chef remains the same, no matter where, or what or when.   The Sous needs to be as capable as the Exec in his absence. Titles are just that. They are used to make the employee feel good about their role, they are thrown around haphazardly and  many times the reality is the person IN the job has no clue what they are doing. Some Sous allow there title Carte Blanche to do whatever, whenever.
Unfortunately many places (especially corporate America) want the young cooks because they're more likely to be able to take the rigors or kitchen work and cost less. But in reality, it is those younger employees that end up costing the company MORE money in the long run.Things like portion control, waste, over preparing, hygiene, and the like take an understanding that only experience can teach.I could never understand that either.Some older Chefs can do the work of three...
QUOTE  "Chefross I understand your point of view if I can further explain. It is through the practice of a task that we gain mastery that includes the trial and error efforts of a beginner. I have as I'm sure all Chefs shared our knowledge with those that choose to learn. I personally like my transfer of knowledge to take place in a face to face or elbow to elbow manner. I firmly believe we encourage mediocrity when we just fill in the blanks for someone looking for quick...
I don't think having the Chef ask you to make biscuits is bizarre at all. The simplest things made perfectly is a lot better than making creative unique things mediocre.
"Management either doesn't know what it wants or you have already done what they want and now they are looking to hire someone cheaper to carry on your improvements."   BAZINGAH!!!