Posts by Chefross

I've done a Jack Daniels and pomegranite (sp) molasses roasted pork belly for V-day once. Awesome.
  I can appreciate that Chef. I've worked for "Production managers" in many a food service account, as well as "Kitchen managers" in small chain restaurants. Some had actual hands on experience and were simply promoted to the position. In that circumstance they really WERE a Chef... Only the names changed. With regard to kitchen managers, they are just that.....they run a kitchen from a management perspective.While it may not be necessary to know how to cook, it sure comes...
I grew in the in the industry before chain mail gloves, and before learning to take the precautions that cooks do now.I did not use a towel the hold the oyster in place, and I never used gloves.I have shucked literally thousands if not hundreds of thousands of shells in my career.Then, when the health department and serve-saf rules came out, I had to unlearn and relearn how to use the chain mail glove.One place made me put a latex glove on with the chain mail glove...that...
And now something new to think about.   I've used these before and never thought twice about the bacteria accumulated on the device.   Guests with colds or virus come in to the restaurants that use these"frictionless" devices. They touch them, the kids, especially....and there you go.   I'm more concerned for the guest than the staff, as the former uses the device more than the later. It would seem prudent that when clearing the table after service, an antiseptic...
  Chef....so you don't consider someone in charge of and managing a kitchen as being called "Chef?"
Wow did you open up a can of worms with this thread.   "I can't imagine any chef worth their salt that would continue working in a place that either product or preparation methods warranted warning a customer against ordering something.  food or beverage."     Chefs come in all shapes, sizes, and intellects, even those that are worth their salt.   Every once in a while I'll read a news article about the "10 things you should never order from a restaurant" or "12...
I agree flipflop. I have had this happen to me a few times.   I have made spongecake so many times. I do not place the bowl over simmering water. I do remove the eggs from the fridge about an hour or so before I start the recipe. I simply place the eggs in the mixing bowl and turn it on high. Yes I know the recipe says blah blah blah.....but years of commercial experience taught me otherwise. I add the sugar slowly after about a minute....no salt though.   The...
Chefbuba, you're my hero......
Pan searing at high heat will cause the scallop to squeeze out the filling.If you don't sear the scallop it will look rather bland and opaque. I'm with chefwriters idea. You can sear the scallop and get a nice golden color, then slice, stuff and present.
You just beat me to it chefpeon...Here's another...Almond paste ball about the size of a nickle, flattened and twisted around the flower stems and allowed to dry.