or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Linked In has a huge data base for Chef's jobs
I feel your pain.   The facts are there. You are the F&B. Ultimately the buck stops with you. No Chef? Who's in charge of the kitchen?   If surveys are coming back with negative comments, well then,,,,,,that's a red flag no?   As a guest myself in hotels all across the country, I see this all the time. Those "improved" Continental breakfasts that hotel chains provide. Eggs are usually one massive chunk sitting in the chaffing dish or steam-table pan.   I also...
Yes welcome . Please stay in school.   What you are supposedly learning is invaluable. What you see going on in your job is what your instructors are trying to change.   The fact that one of your Chefs doesn't measure is just one of the many "problems" that exist in our industry today. How can a Chef keep a consistent food cost under control when they do not measure or keep recipes?    Really? You think being yelled at is okay, and or better than the professor...
 I waited to respond because I wasn't sure if OP was talking about individual steaks or whole tenderloins.I agree with Chefedb as well on the tenderloins. Couldn't the steaks be "marked" off premise, then finished in the oven on premise? As a banquet Chef in another life, I would have my cooks mark off the steaks in the morning, place them on sheet pans, then on a rack, then into the walk-in. They were taken out an hour before service then flashed in a 500 degree...
I thought baking soda was a no-no, as it causes vegetables to lose their vitamins and nutrients. I know it does for green veggies....
I think it was just a matter of getting over the phobia that soups must be hot to be good.
Cold soup is not a man's food? Rubbish!!   Let's see:   Vichyssoise Strawberry Beet Watercress Cucumber   All cold....all wonderful.   I simply think that most people have not been exposed to cold soup before. I know where I work, the first time I served a cold soup, it came back to me with one spoon missing only. Now the bowls come back empty.
What a great gig that would be though. What an experience.
@Chefross what do you mean though by "can be re-used?"    You may safely consume that which never made it to the chaffing dishes.   If you are catering a function for profit then you must adhere to the food safety rules. These rules state that any food that was on display for consumption can not be used or sold after the function and must be thrown away. That's why figuring the food cost for buffets includes that in the pricing. The client pays for all the...
When I was a Banquet Chef the place I worked offered these small themed buffets to small business groups of 50 or less.   The problem I had was that the menu offered 7-8 hot items as well as cold. Making: one 2" half pan of macaroni and cheese one 2" half pan of meatloaf one2" half pan of Swiss steak mashed potatoes green beans Almandine Yadda, yadda, yadda, You get the idea..... The sales office must have had a field day with this.......(SIGH)