or Connect

Posts by Chefross

The glove thing really is a topic in itself.
Many years ago I worked in college food service. I was morning Sous Chef that watched over production for 5,000 students and staff. I was fortunate to have some pretty good team players to get out lunch food out in time for service.   My Chef was a CIA grad and he told me many times in private how he could never do my job, because all he knew was book study, and came right out of school to this job. Seriously???     I KNOW that the CIA has many hands on practical...
Thank you for your explanation. I would guess then that the French Chef I worked for simply chose that cut of beef (Strip Sirloin) and used it as "his" Entrecote. That's why I love this forum. You can learn so much from others, and give your own knowledge to share. Again....Thanks
Ahh but you did not continue reading the Wikipedia definition: The term may also be used in France to denote the sirloin cut properly known as a contre-filet,[1][2] being the portion of the sirloin on the opposite side of the bone from the filet, or tenderloin. In English, a steak cut from the contre-filet may be called a Porterhouse steak (as the term is understood in Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom), a sirloin steak, a strip steak, a striploin steak,...
Entrecote as I understand it here in the USA is the whole strip loin (where strip steaks come from) devoid of all fat and sinew, usually roasted whole and served in thin slices.
  I have very fond memories of what you describe. My father's 5 uncles co-owned a grocery store with a Kosher butcher attached.I saw that salted meat laying on a wooden board (Zaltzvegle) for hours then back into water bath.  I never had the pleasure of eating medium rare liver with bacon and onions until I was an adult.It usually was tough enough to nail on to your shoe and use it as leather.
" I can hardly think of anything I cook that is improved by parsley.  I only use it in chicken soup basically."   Seriously???   Chopped parsley placed at the end of some dishes, make them brighter tasting and fresh. Perhaps you have never added chopped parsley to chicken salad, or to a Dijon white wine viniagrette.  
Morton Salt makes different kinds of salt. The Koshering salt must be processed in separate machinery from the rest that is made. The anti-clogging agent MAY contain un-Kosher products and this is what separates the 2. Maybe?
Sea salt has minerals that can flavor food differently than table salt. The use of salt can be controlled better by sprinkling in my opinion, over using a shaker. Also table salt is not pure salt. It has anti-clumping ingredients added.
Been there....have fun