or Connect

Posts by Chefross

No matter where you choose to work, you're going to learn something. An interview is just that. As you explain yourself to the manager, he or she will decide where your present talents will fit in the kitchen. You will probably start at a low position and through your motivation and work ethic will prove you can be brought up through the ranks.   If I was interviewing you I would tell you that cooking at home for friends is NOT the same as cooking in a high volume...
QUOTE......"IF the anecdote about French Laundry is true. You'd probably have to be a real chef in a real restaurant even to interview to be a commis at French Laundry. MANY chefs I know would be happy to be a pot washer there. I would if I could afford to do it.  If Keller (or you) wants to call a commis a chef in his kitchen, that's his (your) choice no matter what the rest of us say. But we have good intentions by giving you the advice we did. And a commis at French...
I have worked for both. They are, simply put.....food service company's. Sodexo is a subsidiary of Marriott. What's probably happening is that Aramark is in a bidding war with Sodexo at the place you work. You're just going to have to wait and see. If Aramark wins the bid, you may or may not be out of a job. Some contract negotiations are figured so that employees stay and join the new company. Some not so much. Good luck.
Have you been to Oshkosh for their yearly airshow Pete? It is awesome.
Do you REALLY want to go there?
yes
How is all of this electronic stuff going to affect the servers' tips? That's going to be a whole issue soon enough too.
Simply cut off bread rinds and cut into 1/2" cubes. Heat olive oil til it starts to smoke, add croutons and brown each on all 6 sides....(takes patience here) When just finished, add finely minced garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper, and toss well. Place in bowl lined with paper toweling to absorb any extra grease.  Viola!
Why do you feel you need to cool the caramel first?
I have yet another suggestion. I worked in a Canadian based bakery franchise years ago (Tiffany's Bakeries) and our chocolate chip cookies were a main seller. The dough was rolled into 4" logs about 18" long then sliced every 2". The resulting dough would be pressed down with the palm of the hand. 15 would fit on a full size sheet pan. They bake 15-20 minutes at 500 degrees.... (we used bakery deck ovens that rotated. I could fit 3 pans on one deck and there was 5...