or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Yes it does. Even with time and gas added, it becomes cheaper by the month. In my neck of the woods Sysco charges every place here a surcharge because they must use a car ferry to get here. They rake in the bucks. The semi-trailer costs $35.00 to cross but they charge $35.00 for EVERY venue here.... like 6 places...WDF
Hello and welcome to ChefTalk. Rice is one of those ingredients that every culture on earth will cook differently. Ask an Asian and they'll tell you the Americans don't cook rice enough, while Eastern Indians will say we over cook ours. In my experience, you'll have an issue holding your rice for service. Just sitting in a steam table pan will over cook the rice and make it gummy. Adding a white cream sauce to the rice will help temporarily, but eventually you may have...
Can't you plate and go? It's only 96 people...
I've done this many times. Place a pot of water on the stove and slowly heat to 140 degrees. Place your mozzarella balls in the water. The heat will soften the cheese to the consistency of soft play dough. Remove from heat, pat dry and now it will roll easily. But you must be quick because it will cool quickly and be as it was before. I roll the balls out.and slather them with pesto, then roll them up jelly roll style. I then wrap the rolls in plastic and chill. I slice...
I've employed special needs people before at several places. I hired some when I was a Chef in a banquet place. I found them quite loyal. Their life coach worked with them for a few days/weeks until they became comfortable with their job. I suggest pot washer station, floor maintenance, garbage detail, or dishwasher. I've had great success. Good luck.
Hello and welcome to ChefTalk. The main point about making Kibbeh is the lamb that's used. I can't stress enough how important it is. I have the option of grinding my own so I know where the lamb comes from. For someone like you, it would be best to go to a butcher in your area and have them grind it for you. The lamb should be free of any fat and be as lean as possible. I suggest meat from the leg as it is generally more tender. Have the butcher grind the meat 3...
I am confused Chris....You said you wanted the WATER to be flavored by the butter?   To what end? What do plan to do with the water....or for that matter, the butter?   If you are trying the flavor the butter, my experience has been with herbs.   I'll combine the butter, water, herb and salt, bring to a simmer on the stove top and allow all the water to evaporate. I'll then add more water and repeat the process. I'll do this 4-5 times, each time evaporating all the...
Muffin tins coated with pan release spray. Crack an egg into each cup, season with s/p, cover with foil and place in oven 450 for 15-20. Or..... Scramble the eggs and proceed as above.
Hi zayme and welcome to ChefTalk. Cafeterias make a lot of food by the hotel pan. The recipes, the yields per pan, and the waste are all calculated out and priced accordingly. There is a base line with which the kitchen can use to calculate how much to make, but there is always leftovers and waste. In a restaurant conversely, the individual plates offered are costed out so as to avoid any discrepancies. While the 2 examples are basic, high food costs have many...
This is a 10 year old thread. Chef's can suffer PTSD just the same as a soldier coming home from war. Day after day, week after week, all the stress can have the same affect.