or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Bread is simply flour, water, yeast, and salt. Sugar is not necessary in every recipe to activate the yeast.There are many recipes out there that may use butter and sugar and to that end will give you a softer more  delicate crumb. The dense country style loaves rely on a poolish, Levain, or other such starter.Because the starter has been allowed to sit out to attract wild yeasts, it naturally create sugars that will feed the yeast. As for biscuits, sugar is great for...
  Thanks for clarifying.I understand now how you can freeze them.Mine is the traditional French preparation and I would never get it to come out right had I froze them.Too much moisture. I don't peel the apples. May I ask please do you take it from freezer to oven or allow it to thaw? How do you compensate for the extra liquid?   
You freeze it BEFORE baking? What about the sugar, butter, and apples slices? Do you freeze it all? When you thaw, how do you compensate for the moisture that ensues from the apple slices and how do you get the tarte to caramelize?
Kitchen work is hard, repetitive, hot, not easy. There are no easy stations in the kitchen my friend. Pantry is where most inexperienced cooks start out after the dish pit. Pantry work teaches you skills that you will need to take you to the next step. If you are already asking about what's easy, you may want to reconsider your thoughts after a few weeks on the cold side. Good luck and by the way.....welcome to Cheftalk
I took over a kitchen once where the same thing was going on, but the Chef before me was over counting items on the inventory and fudging the numbers some how to make it look right each month.   For instance he would record  chicken stock in gallons on the inventory but give it a jacked up price...like $14.00 per gallon. Even with bones, vegetables, AND labor, chicken stock does not cost $14.00 per gallon. And so it went on down the line by line of items I checked on....
I too, grow and can tomatillos. I understand what you are talking about.   I make salsa, soups, and sauces from them here on our farm.   I always add a bit of lemon juice and small pinch of sugar for my sauces made with them.   For soups and salsa, I also add regular tomatoes mixed with them for the reason you state. Tomatillos also have a different texture when cooked then do regular tomatoes.
I work with fresh berries on a daily basis. We have a procedure that works well.   When the berries first come in, they go on paper towel lined pans or flat insert pans.   The berries are laid out in one layer and loosely packed so as not to insure that the berries touch. The papers are changed daily as a routine.    Berries that are questionable....meaning, that they may not last another day, are placed in a pan in the freezer. When that pan is filled we make a...
So....grasping the bottom of each stem and running your fingers up the stem to detach the leaves doesn't work for ya then ha?
 I'm careful with the devices and shortcuts though. There's something about using my hands over a convenience machine or tool. Best example at the moment, are those handy dandy hand pumping veggie choppers by Popiel. By the time I chop and r-echop, take apart the tool to wash it,and put it back, I could have chopped all by hand and be on my way to the next step.
Yup....but more like 70's...I always said it was "almost as good but not quite as good as sex cake"