or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Welcome to ChefTalk Kosie88.   Firstly, know that you are not alone.   I admire your attitude and that of your parents to instill in you the facts of life. Here on ChefTalk you will come to find many people in your same situation.   However much you may think the idea of becoming a Chef will enhance your happiness be assured that the road will be long and full of detours. Your parents want the best for you and hope that you will find a career that will help you get...
 You should know that the lemon and lime juices "chemically cooked" the chicken even before you put it on the grill.The longer you allow the meat to soak in the juices the more the fibers in the meat break down. Casserole anyone?
Let's get some definitions going here shall we.   Sorbet by definition is sweetened water with flavoring, typically fruit juice or fruit puree.   Sherbet is an American term for a frozen dessert like sorbet but containing a small amount of milk fat 1%-2%   Sherbert (An American invention) and Sorbet contain both fruit juice and 1%-2% milk fat   It sounds like your chocolate seized up. I can't get my mind around using chocolate in Sorbet.   I'm with...
Like any large corporation you're going to have to jump through hoops.   I worked for Compass Group many years ago.   Been there. Done that.   The skills test is something that, if you already know your way around the kitchen, you will do fine.   The rest of the tests will leave you frustrated. There are no correct answers. There is no rhyme nor reason to the questions and they will be asked 3-4 times but with the wording changed to throw you off. Those tests...
Not all parts of the country are going to assimilate a personal Chef business the same. What might work in Orange county California might not work in some other place.   Even Personal Cheffing is all about location location location.   Also know that there are a lot of people out there who run businesses from their home illegally. They will cook food and transport, without any thought to liabilities or consequences. If you intend to start a Personal Chef business, I...
Well said....plus...you can't cook by time especially meats. Cook by temperature and they will come out the same each time
I just realized that I forgot the word "not" for using capon. It's not a good choice......me bad
I have to chuckle when I hear people say that catering is boring. I guess I got to experience catering from a standpoint where it was an extra load added on to an already full docket of restaurant work. Having to work on a line, plus prepping food to be catered off premise, was just about as nerve racking and frustrating as anything. I worked in DC at the time and we catered to large corporations. We used refrigerated semi-trucks to transfer food to locations. The...
A castrated rooster is called a capon in these parts, but the bird is huge and takes a long time to cook. Probably that's why it's a good choice for Coq au Vin.
I use Julia Child's recipe from her 2 volume set on French Cooking. It is a tried and true recipe. I have been using it for decades.