or Connect

Posts by Chefross

You describe your Sous in the plural, so I am only assuming that your going to have a Sous at each shift.To that end the best advice I can give is that your Sous Chef must be equal in knowledge and attitude, and skills and motivation as your Chef. The Sous Chef must be knowledgeable and experienced to the extend that they could assume control of the kitchen if need be. You don't say whether this is corporate or private. The Sous Chef must be present at all management...
koko, whenever you substitute an ingredient, it isn't always going to work the way it did with the original ingredient. Perhaps using lard instead of butter may require the addition of extra flour to counteract the fat. 1 cup of flour to 1 stick of butter may work, but using a different fat may have been your problem. Try again. It's not the lard.
Iceman, don"t you think one needs to learn the basics first before learning how to put the knowledge to work being creative?
 "No matter how great a job the kitchen does if my salad hits the table and my entree is twenty seconds behind it I'm gonna lose my shit."   I could go on about this, but suffice to say the kitchen's need for speed with the tickets is not my kind of service. If I go to an area restaurant at lunch where many businesses patronize, THEY may want their lunch in 20 minutes, but I must tell the server I am NOT in a hurry and wish to dine slowly, or else I get the enter 20...
Cheflayne that was a great read. I could surely relate. With 45 years under my belt, and having worked for owner/Chefs, I can tell you without reservation that it's always about the money. I did at one time want to open a Kosher bakery. I did a lot of research, and it became a nightmare.
I think some of us have been to places where the food was so amazing that those small irritating stupid things servers did were simply not important. In situations like this (albeit these examples are very few and far between) the food does command the audience.   Alternately good service CAN make up for mediocre food, in ANY restaurant. It doesn't necessarily have to be fine dining. Fast casual and family dining come to mind.   I don't believe that any restaurant...
Tipping in cash also has its down side for manglement. They can not accurately access the amount of tips the employee made for tax purposes. ( POS systems keep track of all of that) Also the server can understate their tips to avoid paying full taxed owed.
NEVER, uncover a dough high in egg and butter. You do not want a skin to develop. When that happens, and you punch the dough down to work it, the "crust" mixes in the dough and the resulting product will be dry tasting and affect the consistency of the final product.
They cook the same together and I don't remove the Deckel until after cooking.
Did you allow the batter to rest for a couple hours in the fridge before you used it? Pan too hot?