or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Firstly....welcome to our forums...This is your first post I see. I understand what you're saying. ChefTalk is an all encompassing place for anyone and everyone that is in to food and dining. Not all of us are in fine dining here. Some of us "just like food."   If you are searching for internet places that are for "Chefs" just for Chefs and nobody else..............good luck You said it yourself that the name Chef is ambiguous.   In all honesty......I have to...
Absolutely..................
Besides a background check....these days employers even go as far as looking at your Facebook page to see what your character is all about. Yes even for line cooks, dishwashers and servers....Even what you put on the internet is now up for all to see.
It's a knack...I can do it on a limited basis with bread and muffins.....sometimes a cake but more often then not....it is just a "sense" of how flour egg and sugar and butter can make a cake in your mind's eye.
I like this recipe. Mine is a Lebanese variation that doesn't have potatoes. The meat sauce is made from lamb only and has cinnamon and allspice as the leading flavors. Probably the recipe alludes to the strong flavor of lamb....hence the heavy spices.   Very nicely done Chris....thanks
II brine my own, so I guess I don't how a piece of meat can over brine unless the processed stuff uses too much salt. Mine brines for over a month, yet the meat is not overly salty.I have always braised. Cabbage and potatoes cooked separately.
So I ask....why would you want to soak your corned beef in water?  Too much salt for your tastes probably?Corned beef can be boiled, roasted, braised, or dry baked. My take on braising is that it will help keep the meat more moist.Dry baking or roasting leaves tough stringy ends that make it difficult to slice the meat thinly.
If I may please.............Cooking a pork loin by a recipe almost always ends up with the loin being overcooked. Many recipes still adhere to the "pork must be cooked well done." If you do this the meat will be dry. Cook by temperature and not by time. If you pull your pork loin from the oven at 140 degrees internal temperature, your loin will be juicy and tender.   Now, as to your recipe, you can use the braising liquids as the gravy by straining it and thickening it...
Sorry to hear that your parents don't recognize the Culinary world as a "real" job. So indicative of what we discuss here daily.
Curious.....When you called, did you tell her what you told us?