Posts by Chefross

You just beat me to it chefpeon...Here's another...Almond paste ball about the size of a nickle, flattened and twisted around the flower stems and allowed to dry.
Anyone who's ever invited a "Chef" friend over to dinner knows the stress and anxiety. It is an honor to be invited over to a friends house,  because I know the friend will cook their heart and soul out to please.
QUOTE: Ive worked in commercial kitchens both mats and bare floor. Youve mentioned some down sides, mainly theyre a lot of work to clean, especially the ones with holes, theyre heavy and dificult to handle. Thus its us guys who usually haul em off the floor to clean. IMO the holy ones suck. There are solid, non slip mats that are easier to keep clean, nothing "goes down" inside, you just sweep or damp mop the mats in place, when the floor gets too crudded up you move them...
47 years of cooking has gone by for me. 3 times during that time I was a Chef in charge of my own kitchen. I enjoyed the organized chaos.    For me, feeding 3,000 people on a Saturday night, in 4 different rooms, with 4 different menus,was a great challenge. When the last desserts went out, and the last of the wedding cakes sliced and boxed, it was a great feeling of accomplishment.  I always thanked my crews and bought them beer I took off my Chef coat and went into...
We're having an eclectic menu. Chili with cheddar, sour cream and chips, Swedish meatballs, shrimp with cocktail sauce. I'm bringing a peach cheese cake with peach compote in honor of Atlanta...(not a Boston fan here)
I am not amused by the advertisers who claim that this or that will help prevent cancer.   I just watched helplessly as my sister went through chemo, radiation, and a series of unfortunate problems only to secume to the disease this past December...it was horiible!!!   All the doctors that we spoke to, all the therapists, the radiologists all say the same thing...."you can not prevent cancer."
I love this quote. I worked for a wine lover for 18 years. He has a huge wine cellar filled with French and American wines. Even he says that it costs about $7.00 to make a bottle of wine...all the rest is EGO!!!
Erin......you still insist on using the oven for the chicken breasts. WHY???   The client wants a 6 ox, breast cut in half and shingled on top of the pasta. The you wrote you have 10 ounce breasts. Chefwriter commented on NOT pounding them, however this would be a good thing to do.   You have 3'X3' grill. You can cook the potatoes in the oven but do the breasts on the grill, under cooking them, then place them in a chaffer until service.
I love these resurrected threads. I like to go back and read the OP and 3 year old posts to see how they evolved.   All of us work in a kitchen unlike any others. No 2 are alike. Kitchens are filled with an assortment of personalities. That's what this is all about anyway....a group of people trying to come together with a purpose, that being, cooking and preparing food. Societal differences exist in any group.   There is still going to be people out there that, for...
When interviewing, try to address your kitchen skills, your organization skills, and your need for speed. You'll need this to overcome the bias you may find because you worked making pizza.   This is very important