or Connect

Posts by Chefross

I think we chased the OP away.....
I've browned a fresh brisket then made a jus from the fond and braised the roast in it, but never tried a corned brisket.
It becomes cloudy and bitter. 
Welcome to Cheftalk CKWwild.   A lot of what you ask here is something you need to work out with the client.   I am a private Chef for a family, different from what you are talking about but we do share many similarities.   Each Sunday, I sit at the computer and create a menu for the week. Sometimes I am asked to make a family favorite, but mostly I am free to make whatever I want, given their dietary and personal restrictions.   I make a grocery list from that...
The term gravy is ambiguous at best. For instance to Italians, gravy means what we call spaghetti or marinara sauce.
I believe that many Chefs don't take banquet and catering as seriously as they do restaurants.   I have actually heard Chefs talk down when explaining their view on banquets.   It is sometimes believed that banquet and catering work is somehow less meaningful or exciting as working a line, and therefore somehow makes one less of a cook.   This could not be further from the truth. Banquet work utilizes all the preparation and attention to detail techniques, same as...
It pains me to say this but the hospitality industry will probably be exempt (pardon the pun) from these rules like so many others.   The restaurant world is no better nor worse then any other industry that employs salaried employees. Unless you are in a corporate or high end job as a high up Chef you're not going to make that kind of money.   So a Chef making 43,000 a year would either be dropped to an hourly status or raised up to the 50,000 level.   Sounds...
Welcome to Cheftalk. We have a archive on the forums where you can type in that question of yours. We have discussed this a lot so you'll find many forums on the subject. Good luck and best wishes.
Thanks I corrected it. I meant the heart
I serve them just about every week. I clip the sharp tips and then cut about 1/8th off the top and place in a pot of acidulated water. Cover and cook 25-30 minuted until a small knife can pierce the underside easily.   After I take them out of the water, I allow them to cool for 5 minutes and drain, then I use a spoon to remove the insides and scrape the choke out. I put a pat of butter, some salt and pepper. I cover them and keep them warm until service. They are...