or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Long ago....in the old days......we used to make plain old everyday caramel sugar by melting down granulated. When it was the right consistency a broom handle was placed on top of 2 chairs. A tarp was placed on the floor. A wooden spoon or paint brush was dipped into the caramel and with an arm swinging back and forth motion the sugar was allowed to fly through the air and become very thin strings that coated the broom handle. After several passes were made the...
Firstly, I am very sorry this happened to you and hope you get the medical attention and needed rest.   I believe many Chefs look at the line cook or prep cook that takes off for what ever reason as being a person who lacks the motivation and is there more for the paycheck than the job. As a Chef I can tell the ones who WANT to be there as opposed to those who are just there to get their time in and leave.   This is by no means endemic to the restaurant...
The thing is, for a Chef....for me...... going to some of these places is more of an educational thing over snobbery. I am constantly trying to improve my presentations, come up with new and different ideas for creating food at work, so, to me, this is more like industrial espionage.   Yes....I find the whole logistics of eating in such a venue as being over the top.....but again.......I'm there for the food more than anything else....
Oh no Recky....we understand completely what you are saying.   I think it all boils down to peoples' perception of what THEY think is right. There are those who would never eat pink pork ever. There are those who would never think of duck breast as anything other than well done.   As in all things food is no different.   It is not for us as cooks and Chefs to judge others eating habits, but it is our job to satisfy them when they choose to patronize our...
I too agree with a lot of what was written. I have been to the French Laundry in Napa, TRU in Chicago twice and Charlie Trotter's once. I can tell you first hand that the article is spot on.
I can only comment on what you have told us so far. In my experiences I have found that it's the high end hotels that employ quality Pastry Chefs. Most of the others may or may not buy their bakery and pastries. You'll have to do some research in your area.   Many of the skills you use now will be wasted in hotels that do not bake in house. If you do find a quality hotel, you may start out as a "benchman" and then work your way up.   If, in your former...
Don't know your counter space, but there is a food chopper called a "Buffalo Chopper" in kitchen jargon, that basically is a revolving bowl that has a spinning blade with a lid that locks in place. Three or four turns of this bowl will chop your onions and you can feed it continuously until all onions are done. You can check them out at any restaurant supply. They run on 110 volt so no electrical work is needed and they are dish washer safe. They are usually cast...
Agreed Chefwriter,,,,,I was responding to the OP's initial message.   Nidan2010...please understand that what you are seeing and experiencing has nothing to do with the name of the company. I believe I alluded to that in my response to you. Proper kitchen prep and logistics are universal irrespective of the name above the door. Now that you've explained yourself a bit better we understand what you mean.   With only five years under your belt....you have...
Firstly welcome to ChefTalk.....lot's good peers here.   I worked for Marriott for 10 years. I was a Banquet Chef in Washington D.C. for 3 of those years. I also worked in their food service division, and the conference center division, all as Chefs. I can tell you this: The name Marriott means very little unless the management is fulfilling Bill's vision.   Marriott has so many venues in hotel, conference center, college food service, catering....the list...
I always make eggs Benedict on NYD morning with hash browns, fresh squeezed OJ and a blended coffee done in the French Press... It's a tradition.