or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Ah yes............"The Professional Chef" says a lot of things.   In their interpretation chicken stock should be neutral tasting so that when sauces are made the chicken flavor does not overshadow the other flavors. I don't personally agree with this theory. I want my stock to have flavor and taste like chicken. I add more carrots then the recipe calls for because I like the coloring it gives to the stock. I roast my mirepoix for the express purpose of getting more...
I see 2 schools of thought here.   First you could have been thrown in to "sink or swim" and to see just what you are made of. Second, you tell us that you are training to become a "Chef's apprentice." Just by using that word we already assume that you are being trained to take command. The fact that you were ridiculed frowned at and made fun of tells me that the place you were at was not that professional a place. Professional cooks don't act that way towards...
I make them at work and freeze the dough for a month and remove what I need weekly to make a dozen and a half.   The key to making them in a home setting takes a bit of ingenuity, creativity, and patience, but it can be done.   The problem from what you say could be tied to the "proofing at the final rise."   Steam is the key to really flaky and moist Croissants. I'll tell you what I do and then perhaps you can create something like it for yourself.   I...
As to your Carpal Tunnel....I would have the surgery to "release" the torture you are putting yourself through. The prep for the surgery takes longer than the actual process and it is over in 2 hours. Recovery is quick and you do regain strength and nimbleness.   I have trigger finger to deal with now. My hands lock in place when I hold a knife and I have to physically bend them back in place. I have had cortisone once in both ring fingers. Next step for me will be the...
Great advice Boar_d. I might add that if your processor has the extra blade used for bread dough I highly recommend using it instead of the regular metal blade. Pulsing just to combine the ingredients with as little handling as possible, always gives me great results.
I know it may be too late, but celery need to be denied light in order for it to come out that lighter color you see when you buy them at the store. If you don't do this the celery will be so bitter it will be inedible. While the plants are still quite young and small I place a large white pipe about 6 inches in diameter by 24" inches high on top of the plant and sink it into the ground. The plant grows up in this pipe and is denied light. I made the mistake the...
Herein rural America the grocery chain stores get their meat from the conglomerates, but in the smaller communities the local butchers get them directly from the farms in the area. The animals are well taken care of and are not fed grains and corn or given antibiotics. The meat is noticeably tastier... I have gone in on a quarter steer myself in the past. There is a difference in taste, texture.
I agree with Bread Baker's Assistant by Reinhart. What I find lacking in so many bread recipes is more clearer descriptions for the layperson, and this can make it difficult .I have quite a collection and have found the following to be a lot better at describing techniques, especially for beginners.  If I may suggest:   Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan King Author Flour Baker's Companion Beard on Bread ...and for some more exotic breads there's Country...
 have that recipe Prettycake and yes....t works well.  If you were try to make spongecake.....say.....as in Angel Food then using that batter to make ladyfingers might not work, but with regular sponge it should.
Yes you are correct about pasta unless it is made with whole wheat or some other grain. I offer a list of Complex carbs with which you could create menus from:                 Spinach Whole Barley Grapefruit Turnip Greens Buckwheat Apples Lettuce Buckwheat bread Prunes Water Cress Oat bran bread Apricots,...