or Connect

Posts by Chefross

James...... Several concerns here. Firstly when marinating fish (of any species) it is only going to take a couple of hours or so, and that depends on the thickness of the fish itself. Teriyaki  is very strong and salty so your not going to want to leave it in the marinade for very long. You might want to dilute it with white wine or some other liquid.   IMHO salmon is so delicately mild, anything like this is going to obscure that wonderful flavor. Perhaps a...
For the bacon.....I would cook it completely done....until crisp. That way you don't have to worry about the bacon getting "chewy" The grits and shrimp spoon is going to be harder to keep as the grits don't hold well and the shrimp....well gets rubbery.   I understand that the menu is already done and said, but perhaps in the future you will be able to steer the client away from items that are difficult to create with limited kitchens.
I go traveling about 4 times a year. I don't eat the Continental breakfasts offered for free at the places I stay, because I serve people every day and I want to be served when I go out. To that end I have to comment on all the convenience foods places use. If I order hash browns with my eggs I am not expecting deep fried breakfast potatoes. I understand the issues with pooled eggs, but don't care for the mouth feel of an omelette made with liquid eggs. Things...
I have worked with many young people in my career that have not had the opportunity to grow up eating food. By food I mean, proteins, veggies, and starches. Most of them never had experience handling raw meat, poultry, fish, seafood and most vegetables. To this day even my family members still count canned peas, corn as their only vegetables. This type of this is instilled at home and very few people still cook.   It's a sad state of things, but it is the...
Please understand that the issue here is not the food. Your knowledge and experiences are what define you. The Sous seems like he has some issues. This is not uncommon. You're slowly being introduced to life in the workplace. Stuff like this goes on everywhere. It's up to you how you want to deal with it. If you choose to take sides, be prepared for the consequences.   It would seem by your explanation that the (60 year old) Chef has things well under...
And so I suppose at your place, you make the customer wait for the kitchen to cook the proteins when the server comes in to tell you to fire such and such a table?  Now THAT'S horrible advice. Many places mark the steaks and cook them a little way, then allow them to sit off to the side until it's time to fire.
I'm going to use the Avocado Pesto tonight on some of our homegrown lettuces and call it a relish. We're still a ways away from ripe tomatoes yet.
I just went through another mixer. This time, it lasted only 10 months. The directions are very clear on the speed needed for kneading bread, so I followed them. No more than 2nd speed. Fine .........Slower speed means longer knead time. 12 minutes on 2nd speed, done daily or semi-daily apparently is still too much for this mixer and she sounds like the gears are meshing...... Top of the line piece of crap. I wish I could still physically knead dough by...
Since powdered sugar is made with cornstarch, it's quite possible that she did use it. That way, it was sweetened and thickened at the same time. Ratios of granular to powdered for something like that escape me, but I'm sure someone will come along to help....
Several years ago I purchased a couple packages of heirloom tomato seeds. I thought they'd be really cool, with yellow and red marbling on the skins. They grew poorly, and the yield was less than stellar, but the flavor of them were awesome. I saved the seeds and have since been continuing the strain 2 years now This years seems to be the best ever. At present I have 16 tomatoes on the one plant alone.  Here's hoping.   On another note.......can I save the seeds...