or Connect

Posts by Chefross

At the moment it's 10 degrees outside. There's still large piles of snow all over the backyard. Right up against the house, the very first flowers are starting to come out. It's going to be awhile before I grow anything.  
Especially when Bearnaise is added to the equation....YUCK!!
Well......I WAS a baker and what I would be looking for would be:   How do you handle yourself in a commercial facility Do you work fast Do you work clean Do you know your measurements in both English and Metric Can you use bakery equipment and know how  Do you understand yeast and what its' parameters are Can you bake cookies, pies, cakes, muffins, cupcakes, etc.....day after day after day, with consistent results.   When this person says, she can...
.....And as your career gets continues, you will never be able to go out to eat again without your eyes being "open" to see. The only time you will ever get excellent and proper service is when you pay through the nose for it. Junglist is right in that it all depends on who's in charge, how well the training went, and the personality of the employee.
Firstly, you are not going on a diet. Diets are temporary and what you are about to do is a complete life style change. You are correct, in that there are no commercially available products to aid in you food choices, but that doesn't mean they are off limits.   Your knowledge of Cholesterol needs some updating. Egg yolks for example are no longer considered the bad thing they used to be. Your descriptions lead me to believe you are either a diabetic now or are...
I have worked as the only English speaking person in an all French kitchen. Now THAT'S fun.......You never know when you are being cussed at or being made the brunt of a joke. I have commanded a kitchen of 85% Hispanic people where English was spoken just fine. As in all things........it depends upon the person. I agree that immigrants should learn the language of the country they live in. Americans aren't putting enough effort into the cultural evolution of our...
Same here....my bone spurs ended up right directly behind my Achilles tendon. Had to have it detached, the spurs shaved and the tendon re-attached with pins. Long recovery. To this day I have bone sticking out of my heel. It's not painful anymore, but I also use shoe inserts that were made from plaster molds of my feet.
Souffles all have a base of some kind. You may start out with a white sauce, to which you added shredded cheese to. Some recipes call for egg yolks to be added to the base. The egg also thickens the base as well as adds a rising agent to the Souffle. Whipped egg whites are folded into the base and the whole thing bakes. Souffles always fall within minutes after being taken out of the oven. The French have a saying......"Ze Souffle.....she waits for no one...."
Hey Jim.......Yes......there was examples of verbal abuse during his career....or so said the news when the article first came out. The coach used homophobic vernacular to encourage motivation among the team. Probably not the best thing to do....dya think? There is a big difference between calling some one out on a mistake, and intentionally using abusive language on them. Those days are gone..........................................
Was watching the report about the recent basketball coach that was fired from the university for physical and verbal abuse towards the team members. The coach was eventually fired.   Now can you imagine in a busy kitchen, some Chef goes off on a hissy fit, and some cook video's it and puts it on Facebook or You Tube?. It goes viral and now our industry become scrutinized with stories of abuse, misuse, character assassinations, and all that goes with it....