or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Somehow, in the canning process, you may have inadvertently got a micro-organism into the jam. It happens. I have the same problem when canning peaches and pears in the fall.  When doubt........throw them out!
How entertaining.....Thanks guys.   I am curious how the steers are allowed to eat corn to fatten them without the use of antibiotics to keep them from getting sick. Corn is not easily digested and it does have a impact on the animals' health.    
Great advice.......the scotch too.
You can make the distinction between simple and complex carbs. The simple ones are the cake, cookies, and sweets, while the complex are the pasta, rice and potatoes. It's all the other garbage added to all of the carbs that make them bad. Butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon added to the potatoes. It's the cream and heavy cheese added to the pasta that makes it unhealthy. While eliminating carbs is not all that bad it is these complex carbs that make you feel full and...
It's the whipped egg whites that give the fingers their lift. Genoise would be too heavy and dry.
 I can't comment on the smaller smokers as I have a free standing smoke "House" I usually save my cold smoking for mid to late October as the temps are quite desirable. I start early in the day by brining. then drying (in the case of fish to get the pelicle I need on the flesh for smoke to adhere). I start the smokehouse early after that and am able to start the cold smoke process later in the day. Cold smoking here last 4-5 days. I reset a new fire each morning and...
It's not just in Florida though. Even non-corporate eateries do the same things. I understand that location makes a big difference in the creation of menus.   The one thing that has always been my beef was that restaurant owners seems to think that steaks and chops do fine dining make. So I go from one place to another and find those steaks, in one version or another, the same same same.
Hey Butzy.......You mentioned "Cold Smoking" vs. Hot Smoking. In order to cold smoke the temperature of the box can not reach over 80 degrees or you'll "cook" the food to be smoked. If you make one from an old fridge you'll have to create plenty of air movement to keep the temp down. I think leaving the insulation on is the better thing to do. Yup the newer fridges have glass shelves, and if that's the case, then hanging that which is to be smoked might work. Or...
I reprint this from an article in Plate Magazine August of 2009     I am angry, so forgive me if I rant. You gave notice after only two weeks on the job and then didn’t show up the next day and really screwed me. I know why you quit; it was hard work, harder than you thought it was going to be. The funny thing is, you worked an easy station and never even worked on a busy night, funny right? The sad thing is you don’t even know how hard it really is, or what it...
I think it depends on the location. I was a benchman for Sabo food service back in the 80's and got to work at 2:00 am each morning. The bakery was located on the bottom floor of a huge skyscraper in downtown Chicago, and catered to the office workers Mon-Fri. After Friday at 11:00 in the morning I was done for the weekend. I had all the rest of Friday, all Saturday, but Sunday, I had to be in bed at 8:00 in order to get back into the work mode for Monday.   Then...