or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Question..... Does this miracle of technology also tell you how many pounds of flour you used, or how much of a 5 pound bucket of chicken base was used that day as well? I know the system works for food that is portioned in a box. (example: box has 50 pieces and should match the POS inventory as pieces are removed for sale.)I am well aware of how those POS systems work but they are not full proof.
Steve1949, you asked about this catering 3 weeks ago and you were given some advice and numbers back then. I remember the Salmon, Fried Chicken punctuation mistake and the thread then took a wrong turn and you never came back.   Now we are giving you more concrete answers.   As I recall you mentioned the fried chicken was going to be purchased. Will they be pieces or breasts? I see you decided against hanger steak. I agree with everyone so far that your portions...
.I feel you Phaedrus...... Corporate jobs I held made us take inventory each and every Friday. As the Chef I knew what I had and what I didn't have.Unfortunately I had to utilize the boys to help with the counting and that was a disaster.Here I sit in the office doing extentions and found discrepancies in the amounts.Turns out I knew my pricing had changed mid month but the cans and boxes were not marked with the correct dates, so I didn't know how many cans were the new...
Roger....welcome to ChefTalk.   The ice in the packages comes from the fish itself. Although it is Individually quick frozen, all proteins cells break down from the freezing process. They hold the water in so when thawed release the liquid they've held. I have the same problem with IQF scallops.   The best answer is to place the thawed piece of fish on a few folded pieces of paper towel and allow to sit for an hour at room temperature. Don't press down or weight...
 Arancini.......I love it Cheflayne...
Freshbaked....your idea is nothing new and has been around awhile. Your Chef knows this and wants you to do something else.   How about making the spinach dip for the artichoke heart from the yogurt and mayonnaise, but season it outside the box so it has a definite flavor profile. Scoop an amount onto the artichoke heart, place a well drained and patted dry oyster on the spinach dip. Flour, egg wash, and Panko the whole thing, then French Fry it and serve it with a bit...
OUCH!!!
Sake is rice wine, and Mirin is sweet rice wine. If you have neither you may substitute.  Add between 1 and 2 tablespoons of sugar to 1/2 cup of white wine, vermouth, or dry sherry to replace 1/2 cup of mirin.
  If you are going to be cooking food for consumption by the public you had better make sure you are legal and proper in all things. Your kitchen must be approved by the health department of your city. Your wife will need to be certified in sanitation.You'll need insurance as well as any other logistic that goes along with owning a business. If you choose to go any other route you are opening yourself up for litigation. Be careful and good luck
You need to keep the dough as cool as possible and use more flour for rolling out the dough.Excess flour can be brushed off. After searing your beef and getting all the fillings ready have your dough in the fridge the whole time. Take it out just as you're ready to make the Wellington. You may even have to use the freezer to tighten up the dough so you can roll it easier.