or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Ah the good ole days
Far from it my friend......It is an honor to cook food for people who appreciate it. Restaurant work, is thankless in many ways.I had my career and did the long hours of cooking food for people I never saw on the other side of the wall. My knowledge of food and service have served me well in this job, and I am privileged to be able to cook things and do things I would never have gotten a chance to do if I had stayed an Executive Chef 
Not sure where you got your information from. A good starter has yeast flour and water to start. Wild yeasts that evolve in nature take over and help feed that starter. Once made it requires no further addition of yeast. If you don't use the starter everyday, it still needs to be fed. Only a half cup of starter is thrown out if not used. My sourdough starter is over 20 years old and I feed it once or twice a week. I even feed it a beer once every 3 months.
If the owner had 2 guys that couldn't get it right, and came back to you, and you were the one who implemented menus and specials, it sounds like you have it together, but are unsure if you want to pursue this. This is your decision alone.  Sounds like you know what to do.    -I don't know if I'm anywhere close to being experienced enough to run a full setup like that, let alone with competence. -I don't know if I'm ready to commit the next 5-10 years of my life to...
Welcome to ChefTalk. I like yourself gave up the mad inhuman noise of the restaurant kitchen 16 years ago, and was chosen from many applicants to work for an aging couple.I am very blessed to have this job.I am but one of 11 employees that work for this couple to make their retirement years happy. I too worked 80 hour weeks cooking for thousands and now only cook for two. For the first few months I would work through an entire day from my old job in dreams.I would wake up...
I was in a gourmet grocery store in the mid 80"s and found this device that was simply a white gallon size bucket with a dense cloth and fiber like filter that is placed on the bottom. A pound can of ground coffee goes in the bucket (any brand works) and is filled with water.This steeps for 24 hours.Uncork the bottom and allow the syrup to drain. This process allowed you to place a small amount of this syrup in a coffee cup then fill with hot water and you have a cup of...
Speaking about cole slaw....it seems that whenever you go out to eat many restaurants, make and serve, or buy and serve, a sweet version 
The filtering action of this process gets rid of the coffee tannins that make the undesirable bitter taste
My clients dislike sweet in their savory but in some things, it is an important part of the flavor profile, ie: Teriyaki, sweet and sour, etc... I too don't care for fruit and nuts in my salad. I simply believed that this is what's new and done in the industry, but it is great to know I am not alone.  
We talk about this all the time at work.   Can you imagine being that first person who smashed an oyster open on a rock and slurped it? Or lazing under a palm tree and a coconut falls at your feet and you figure out how to open it, drink the milk and enjoy the chew.   How about octopus, or vanilla bean.   This is where to history of food began.