or Connect

Posts by Chefross

If anybody hasn't already,,,welcome to ChefTalk.     I found your comparisons between cooking and advertising to be quite amusing Chef Brah.   Firstly, there is no way around the fact that working in our industry and doing it right IS hard.   That's why there are so many crappy restaurants out there.   Owners want to take the easy way out.     You mentioned restaurant work as part time, so I know that you were exposed to the life.   Cooking for colleagues,...
In the small town where I live I know of 3 caterers that cook out of their homes. Many people avail themselves with these caterers. Their food is almost always mediocre, rarely hot, and I shudder to think that they are all still in business. All it would take would be one phone call...... Hmmmmmm
Well until someone invents a better idea, chaffers are here to stay. Why do you dislike them so much?
Jelly... I must take issue here with what you said. Lately Chefs have been adding what I call, non-food to aid in texture, and preservation of foods. Everything from drugs to textiles and everything in between can be made from plants and minerals. My point being that food doesn't need "additives" to insure proper consistency or texture. These recipes have lasted for decades without non food additives because great care was given to technique. Is it possible that these...
I must be missing something here. Sorbet is fruit juice, and sugar, nothing more. It's the technique that creates the texture. Why would you need chemicals? What would worry Vegans here?
Yes it does. Even with time and gas added, it becomes cheaper by the month. In my neck of the woods Sysco charges every place here a surcharge because they must use a car ferry to get here. They rake in the bucks. The semi-trailer costs $35.00 to cross but they charge $35.00 for EVERY venue here.... like 6 places...WDF
Hello and welcome to ChefTalk. Rice is one of those ingredients that every culture on earth will cook differently. Ask an Asian and they'll tell you the Americans don't cook rice enough, while Eastern Indians will say we over cook ours. In my experience, you'll have an issue holding your rice for service. Just sitting in a steam table pan will over cook the rice and make it gummy. Adding a white cream sauce to the rice will help temporarily, but eventually you may have...
Can't you plate and go? It's only 96 people...
I've done this many times. Place a pot of water on the stove and slowly heat to 140 degrees. Place your mozzarella balls in the water. The heat will soften the cheese to the consistency of soft play dough. Remove from heat, pat dry and now it will roll easily. But you must be quick because it will cool quickly and be as it was before. I roll the balls out.and slather them with pesto, then roll them up jelly roll style. I then wrap the rolls in plastic and chill. I slice...
I've employed special needs people before at several places. I hired some when I was a Chef in a banquet place. I found them quite loyal. Their life coach worked with them for a few days/weeks until they became comfortable with their job. I suggest pot washer station, floor maintenance, garbage detail, or dishwasher. I've had great success. Good luck.