or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Think "Umami" and the mushrooms go quite well with the apples. I like the candied Jicama idea.Industrial espionage......Thanks
  No you don't hear people say "I want to wait tables when I grow up..." Why is that? Could it be that we in America take the job too lightly?Waiting tables IS a noble profession, same as cooking, but rarely is it ever recognized as much. Why is that? Cooking and preparing food is as old as time. People gathered together to cook large amounts of food to share.Somewhere in there, somebody got the idea to offer food as barter for other goods and pretty soon the idea of...
At work we do this all the time.But I must preface this by explaining that some recipes can not be doubled or tripled without some kind of a problem. These recipes I relegate to the fact that I must simply make the recipe as is, three times. I review 2-3 recipes for the same cake and compare measurements.I can look at the amounts and from experience can tell where I can substitute one ingredient for another.A simple example would be the substitution of liquid amounts.If...
Many many places do not have the expediter to liaison between the kitchen and FOH and therein lies the propensity for conflict.
Firstly, welcome to ChefTalk. Secondly, there are no stupid questions. That's what's so great about this site. You can ask anything and expect a good answer.   As for your question, please note that cookbooks and recipes are some one else"s idea of what they think is the ideal way to make that item.   To that end every recipe for a chocolate cake or devil's food cake will be a little different. Place 2 recipes side by side and go through each ingredient amounts and...
If you do a search within the archives, you'll find this was hashed out a few times. It always turns into a bitch fest each time.
The thickness of the creme could be as simple as adding another egg yolk to the recipe, or cooking a little longer. Ultimately experience can tell you when hot, how the creme will tighten up as it cools. You can always put the creme back in a bowl set over simmering water, make a small amount of cornstarch slurry and add it to tighten as well.
These are from 2014 harvest:
We are still 2-3 weeks behind you. Are ramps just broke the surface last week.   My go to recipe is to clean then thinly slice the bulbs then caramelize them in butter and olive oil, with the greens. I also make a morel and ramp ragout to serve over grilled Focaccia with a poached quail egg on top.   Ramps grow everywhere on the property here. I have a favorite place to go where you can see nothing but ramps for as far as the eyes can see. I dehydrate them, freeze...
Couple things to point out here.   Australia dollar versus the American dollar. What's $10.00/hr. Australian in American dollars?   Another item that has a lot to do with food costs are purchasing and serving fruits and vegetables out of season. With the advent of technology, we are now able to offer things like asparagus, grapes, tomatoes, and such, which use resources that make these items costly. The alternative would be to go back to the time when these items are...