or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Terry...Onions and Garlic give off gasses that can hasten sprouting in potatoes. I keep the onions and garlic in baskets on the counter and the potatoes in the drawer under the stove.
This technique seems more like a Genoise in nature because you beat the whole egg with the sugar and glucose. What I have a problem with this recipe is folding the flour in stages, rather than all at once at the end. I've made this many times. My problem was the same as yours and I had a dense layer of dough at the bottom each time I made it. I figured out how to fold all the flour in at the end and keep it light enough. Ovens vary and what the recipe reads may be a...
"Potatoes? What do you guys do with potatoes? Onions/shallot? Garlic? Carrots? Those are way more interesting and IMO up for serious debate."   Potatoes, garlic. shallots, and onions are stored out, usually in a bin and never together.
Good point here. Your Chef has many years of knowledge of what foods marry well and which ones to stay away from.These days, Chefs are taking simple ingredients and creating some pretty cool stuff.It's those years of cooking, practicing, and research that produce these results.THAT'S where the creativity comes from.Also to be aware of is what the public in your area will respond to.No matter what "cutting edge" dish you make, if the area in which you work has a different...
I've used Kellogg's Corn Flake crumbs mixed with sugar and a pinch of cinnamon, then deep fried. Less labor intensive yet the results are nice.
Oh I got the point very well. Everyone that answered the original OP's thread is saying that a 9-5 job in the culinary world is a dream....and as Cheflayne just reiterated, it is not.Yes the kid quit after 2 days, but not necessarily because of the job perhaps, but more of logistics, (getting home after midnight with an hour and a half drive).Perhaps he just found the wrong job.Nothing wrong with that.Many people will quit a job without having another one at the ready. It...
Sir................I am merely pointing out the misconception many people have that working in the food business is all about restaurants and fine dining. It is not. To say that a person needs to hone their skill set in a restaurant before seeking that "dream job" is untrue. Unless you have never worked in a cafeteria, or food service in colleges or hospitals or factories or a cruise ship, you really can't make the statement that these places do not reflect the knowledge...
One thing is for sure here. This is ripe for a confrontation unless you nip this in the bud immediately.   You must sit down with him and speak plainly about your concerns.   They hired YOU to be the Chef and that needs to be the basis for everything else.   Then..................You may want to offer your services as a mentor and teacher to this guy if all else fails.
WHY??? Why wouldn't working in a college food service or factory cafeteria 8 hour shifts 5 days a week cooking for several thousand people NOT "place you in the fire and see what it's really like to be a Chef, get some burns and see what it's all about?"