or Connect

Posts by Chefross

Some days I have to physically pry my hands from their locked position when holding a Chef's knife.Like you mornings are stiff but warm water and finger manipulation helps...(I practice piano scales to help)
I feel your pain
I'm with Foodpump.....In banquets it was invaluable. We blanched vegetables, made soup, sauces, really, anything you can do in a pan you can do in a tilting braiser.    One bit of advice. Make sure you have floor drainage under the tilters. It makes for easy cleaning. If not your going to be schlepping 5 gallon pickle buckets of dirty water each time you need to clean..
The purpose of what you are trying to do is to make the staff understand that the food they work with each and every day should be looked at as money, dollars, and to that end getting the staff to come on board takes whatever you can think up to do. Good for you.   But don't stop there. Walk around the kitchen during prep and look into the garbage bins and see what's being thrown out. You'll be very surprised. Walk through the coolers and look in the reach-ins to see...
I have been there myself. When I worked for Marriott I was in DC at a hotel and the kitchen was professional. When I transferred to Chicagoland area, I found the same examples as you gave. It was a total shock for me and I knew that not all Marriott accounts ran this way, Go to your regional director if you can and ask for a transfer.
Would you be talking about herbs like thyme, sage, oregano, marjoram, or spices, like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, anise?.
 I believe he is talking about a served meal for 400, not restaurant service of quiche. As was mentioned quiche is usually served just warmed or at room temperature.I have baked the quiche the day before, allow them to cool all the way, then place 4-6 on a sheet pan and cover the tray with wrap. I like the idea of cutting them into pie slices, but I would leave them in the aluminum pie shells, place 4-6 on a sheet pan then into a 250 degree oven until warmed through.
I agree with Pete.   I think the author did not look very hard to find that in America we continue to produce the very same cheeses, sausages, and chocolate that he describes. We have many artisanal brewers, chocolatiers, creameries, and bakeries that would compete just as good with anything made in Britain or France.   There was a thread a while ago that referred to a blind wine tasting with some of the best wine judges in Europe and France pitting American wines...
Things to look for in a good pastry bag include the material it is made from. Some bags are plastic while others fiber or cloth. Look for a re-enforced tip that doesn't rip under pressure.  Can it be washed and dried easy for re-use?   You may want to look in to disposable bags. They come in different sizes. Use once and throw away. 
It shouldn't be.