or Connect

Posts by Chefross

I have used fresh yeast all the times I worked in commercial bakeries. It came by the 1 pound brick. I used them every day.I loved working with the fresh yeast, and now it is almost impossible to find at the stores. As for the flour.......my step-mother, who was Polish used to bake with it. Because it has wheat flour in it, I remember the dough being this weird color. Anything she bakds with it was always delicious. I wish I could help you more.
I'm curious as to why you don'e include the labor of the salaried full time people? You wouldn't get the full scope of covers to labor hours without them.
If the same recipe works with the larger cheesecakes but your are having problems with the smaller version, you may have to experiment with the amounts again. Are you baking the cheesecakes in a hot water bath? Try turning off the oven when the cake is just about done and allow it to cool down with the oven.
Welcome to Cheftalk.   This question has been asked many times on these forum threads. Cooking in a restaurant kitchen is not the same thing as cooking at home.   Those Chefs that spoke of your skills and comfort should be taken with a grain of salt. (Remember that these instructors are getting paid and to that end will do whatever it takes.)   Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. You may very well have some great technique and skill set, but in the short...
While I'll agree with you, most stores don't carry both heavy cream and heavy whipping cream so in order to give the best advice I simply told the OP to go with the heavy cream.
Heavy cream is the same as whipping cream. You'll find it in the dairy section next to milk.
Agreed, been there and done that. Those ladies will never change and you will only make your self more upset as time goes on. You may not want to hear this but the facts are there.
I have terribly scared hands during the winter months from dry skin. Putting my hands into soapy water actually hurts. Bandages are useless and gloves are only used with ready-to-eat foods so they offer little protection.   I found a product called "No Crack" at the Vermont Country Store online. It is wonderful stuff and I highly recommend it. A little pea size amount goes a long way. It's very thick and has a lot of moisturizers. It's great for calloused feet to. I...
 Agreed. Many people feel that the government needs to stay out of out lives, but clearly, food manufactures are all about money and to that end will do whatever they need to do to make a profit.
And on top of that, the infused "fake" stuff loses its' flavor as it sits on the shelf.