or Connect

Posts by Chefonfire

never mind the why.     I was in a hiring situation similar to yours. I had a mystery basket to produce a four course meal for a panel of 8 judges, some of them CMC's - it was nerve racking to say the least. As I came closer to my start time, my nerves were getting the best of me and I wasn't sure how to calm them. I thought of my kids - I pulled a picture of them up from my phone and just smiled, remembering why I do what I do. It was a great source of strength for me...
I don't post much but this thread hits home. I am 37 and I own my own business. I started as a dishwasher at 13 here and worked my way up. I left to pursue more experience when I was younger and came back here to run the kitchen 14 years ago. Ended up buying the business and property. The details are very messy of why I am in my current situation.    I am so effing burnt out on dealing with the bankrupt state that I work in, guests looking for cheaper food and asking...
If you are going to puree the tomatoes, I would not bother going through the motions of peeling or deseeding. I would roast quartered tomatoes tossed with salt, olive oil & herb (skin side down) until you get to the level of concentration that you are looking for, make your sauce, puree, then pass through chinois.  
Reminds me of a conversation I had a while back. I came out of the kitchen and recognized one of the guests. We talked food for a bit, the guys wife turns and says, tell him about that Cajun thing you made. He hesitates and says in a smug tone "I don't want to give out my secrets". This was said after I answer about 10 cooking questions in a row.   Of course, I say nothing. The conversation trails off but in my head I'm thinking "riiiight, here I am, out to steal...
In my opinion, you should take classes on a local level at a community college or the like. Get the basics down. Some of it may seem very elementary to you but pick the instructors brain for all he/she is worth. You can do this while holding down a job at a decent place, that way you don't get stuck in school land cooking. If your goal is to own your own business, take an accounting and business management course while you're at it. Big loans are tough to get out from...