or Connect

Posts by PrairieChef

*delete*
It’s been 25 years since I first tied an apron around my waist. 25 years of dishwashing, bussing, serving, bartending, baking, cooking and managing. 25 years of greasy spoons, independents, banquets, fine dining and hotels. 25 years of mornings so early it’s late, and nights so late it’s early. 25 years of unpaid overtime, 20 hour days, sociopath managers, drunks, addicts, perverts and assholes. Owners that refuse to listen to logic, that can’t understand why 100...
We care. Honestly, we do. We care that you can’t eat shellfish, or gluten. We care that you are allergic to onions in all their variants, and we care that you can’t eat pepper.   We care.   But we also run a business. We could make our business all about taking care of special needs, but the fact is, you aren’t the only one with a special need. For every coeliac, there’s a diabetic, or  someone with crohn’s. We simply can’t keep you all happy.  We need to move...
" There was a chef on Hell’s Kitchen who said “You gotta check your ego at the door when you walk into a kitchen.”"   While I personally agree with the idea, I gotta say... this, coming from Hells Kitchen is laughable. The main character of the show (and I mean that exactly as it sounds) has a hell of an ego, or he wouldn't have a tv show, and anyone who wants to be ON the show also has to have a massive ego, or they wouldn't think they stand a chance, nor would they...
Just a slight hijack.   "Au jus" means " with jus". As in, "prime rib au jus".   "Au jus" cannot exist on it's own. That pot of hot beefy liquid you keep beside the roast is a "jus". When the prime rib is served with that liquid, it is prime rib Au jus.    Sorry. It s a pet peeve of mine, and an issue that was drilled into me by my Chef when I was but a green apprentice.    
Bakeries? Should be a journeyman anyways to work in a bakery, Catering? Certification. Don't even see why this would be an issue. I'm sick of housewives becoming "caterers" because their friends say they make good cookies. Small stores servig food? Either buy it from certfified suppliers, or become certified. greasy spoon? Certified cooks, or shut your doors. Trade certification boards should be spending money on public education.   Like I said... reset the...
If you're too sick to work,  you're too sick to work. Period. If your boss fires you for being ill... f**k him.   Now... if you're sick often enough to screw up business and your co-workers lives... then you have an issue that you need to look into.   But, if you're not feeling well enough to perform, stay home. I don't buy into this "suck it up unless you're dying" B.S.  YOU make the call, if you can handle it... then do it. If not, then don't.
here's the issue as I see it.   The rules for restaurants need to change. Lose the "journeyman or equivalent" requirement, and change the laws so that ALL employees in kitchens must be either apprentices, or journeymen. If you dont; want to put in the time, take the exams... you can't work. Unskilled, uncertified cooks skew the market... if you don't like hearing that, too effin' bad. As an employer, I can hire anyone off the street, train him to cook MY dishes and...
The Red Seal allows qualified tradespeople to practise their trade in any province or territory without having to write additional examinations, thus improving labour mobility in Canada and saving time and resources by eliminating the need for multiple examinations.     Different provinces have different requirements for the trades. The Red Seal means you meet the most stringent, and are therefore able to work in any province.
The first and only time I ever got fired, I was working FOH in a family owned Italian Bistro.   We had a smoking busy night one night... crazy busy. The potwasher begged off work early cuz he "had something to do", so Mama (yeah, that's what everyone called her) let him go home at about 5 PM. I was sick, but stuck it out, as there was no other option for the floor.   Myself and my supervisor worked our tails off all night long. Unbeknownst to us, Mama let all...