or Connect

Posts by blackjettison

It will probably be a while before I consider myself to be better than the average freehand sharpener. Being the 'sharpener' of my social circle doesn't tell me much about my skills when that circle would likely be happy bludgeoning their food with a butter knife otherwise. In this regard, it's good to be able to glean information from places where others with real skill gather.   On my knives, (using knives that are more along the lines of 'great values! --for the...
My amazement would have been that the recipe from the 18th century is still applicable to modern pork in the 21st. I'm far more likely to be thinking of pigs of the 18th century as wild, gamy and lean, whereas modern pigs (farm raised) are pink, fatty and slovenly. That said, I've never cooked wild boar, and for a slower cooking method, the similarities are probably greater than the differences.
Perhaps slightly off topic, but based on the information that I'm seeing here, is a purpose of 'opening' the knife (beyond adding sharpness) to get past the brittle temper that results from the powered sharpening?
BDL,   I agree that the topic is fun; though it may not be the most efficient means of learning the process, I feel that knowing the background and roots gives a better understanding of the reasons behind the technique. If I lose the woods for the trees, I don't feel that too much is lost if one is still having fun.   As far as flattening goes, I think it will be a bridge that I will cross when I get there.  At my current rate, flattening will be a task to...
It would appear that thick stones are thick not so much as a great benefit in terms of longevity to the consumer, so much as a requirement of the lower quality nature of the stone that would otherwise cause floods of angry mail?   I recently took the opportunity to reread your blog post on sharpening knives, and I suppose I meant something along the lines of a three-four stone system vs the two stone system where there would be a very large 'reach' when switching...
Heh, Thank you for the compliment, but I fear that it is not that my mind is organized, but that I've been stockpiling information and generating questions for quite some time now.  Your responses have been wonderful in helping me sift through the rubble heap in my mind and (attempt to) ask relevant questions.   I'll tell you now that I am far more articulate in text than in person; verbal bumblings smooth wonderfully with a minimal of editing. (Though you might note...
My lack of timeliness can be attributed to time to digest the wealth of information you've provided as well as other callings of life.  If this is the abbreviated version, I can't help but wonder what the long version was like!   The material sciences appeal to the engineer in me, it is nice to see how well the academic study of metallurgy applies to a finely crafted tool.    Do you find a purpose for the Norton Crystolon in your kit (I would assume for extremely...
BDL,   Thanks once again for the advice and sharing your knowledge.  The Hard sounds like it makes sense for the for what I need now in my progression as far as the forschners are concerned, but I still wonder if there a purpose could not be served by the surgical?  Would I be able to substitute a waterstone from the other side if need be at that grit (once the time comes)?  I see myself in a  position, where (even at my current skill, and particularly if I actually...
Thank you for the reply, I acknowledge that people have lives outside of answering my every ponderance; it would be out of line to begrudge the timing of a response.  Particularly if they are all as well thought out as yours   I feel that eventually, I would like to transition to a collection of primarily Japanese and old carbon knives.  This was my primary reason for asking about a 4k waterstone rather than the hard Arkansas or similar.    The brief look I have...
I've boiled and dishwashed my stone a few times so that the majority of the oil seems to be gone (based on some of your prior posts) and now typically use a bit of water on it when sharpening.   When I finally bring myself to pick up a new stone, I'll probably try to get a decent japanese waterstone that will serve as the fine stone in my three grit kit and can move along to my final Japanese knife ready kit as a medium stone; maybe something in the 4000 range? Is...