or Connect

Posts by rfarlow

Thanks Siduri! As always, a very helpful reply.  I may have had one or two larger clumps, but i am thinking it will be good.  I'll remember for next time to add some of my scraps for the other sides to make it fit better.  I can't beleive i didnt think of that.  i have made this pie once before and the taste is great, so I am excited to have it again!
I made a from scratch traditional apple pie last night for a holiday party tomorrow.  When i rolled out the bottom crust, it ended up slightly short on one side and I just left it alone.  Basically the edge of the dough came right to the edge of the pan.  I added the filling, which included brown sugar which was not softened beforehand. So, I had some clumps of brown sugar in there, though the apples were fully coated. Then when i added the top filling i forgot to add...
Thanks Carol.  I am just going to give it a try.  wish me luck
thanks for the suggestion.  I will look into that.  I definitely need some more insight into ratios.  my latest attempts have been okay, but still not there.  I have been using cake mixes for my most recent cakes becuase I dont have the time and energy to put into "flop" cakes.   i do believe I will get there.  One question...how do I pack some really good flavor into my basic scratch white/vanilla cake?  it seems a lot of my scratch attempts have been lacking in that...
I have carved with boxed cake mixes and it worked just fine.  The freezing does the trick for me.  I stacked 4 layers from 2 9x13 cakes and carved a guitar shape.  I froze for 3 hours prior to carving and it worked really really.  The process was not crumb free, but I was able to clean up any crumbs on my board and I did a crumb coat before covering with homemade marshmallow fondant the next day.  It was a big hit and it looked nice and clean.  I too was thinking that...
I have just recently taken a Wilton decorating class and gotten really into cakes.  I have done a few carved cakes and they were okay, but I've had some issues.  Luckily they were just for family members so I was okay with the imperfections.  It was still cool   So, I made a 6 layer round cake covered in MMF and ended up with some ripples in the fondant where it seemed as though the buttercream was oozing out in between the layers.  So, I thought two things....oops,...
Well, I couldnt find my paintbrush and I ended up using a paper towel to "brush on" an almond extract and gel food coloring mixture.  It was not super easy but it got the job done.  I had a real tough time covering the guitar with fondant.  How do you get into those little cracks? It was a bit of a disaster as far as that went.  Luckily this is for a friend and not any paying customer :)  It was still cute overall....
I am making a guitar cake and covering it in MMF.  I want to make it red, but it is really difficult to not get pink when adding red coloring to white fondant.  I know that I can mix red gel color with an extract with alcohol to paint the red color on the fondant.  I like to use almond, but I think for the amount I need it will add way too much extra flavor.  Is there another neutral ingredient that i can add to increase the volume without dramatically changing the...
Thanks.  I am going to make the recipe from the other forum in the next few days and use that as a base.  I am just wondering how I make it my own...maybe french vanilla extract instead of regular...i really like that.  i'll let you know how it goes :)
i tried again tonight...no luck.  All I did was omit the pudding.  i thought since i was removing a source of sugar it would become lighter and drier, but it didnt work as i suspected.  it actually did the opposite.  it became dense and almost like a fudgey brownie in texture, which is not good for a yellow cake.  also lost a lot of flavor by omitting the french vanilla pudding.  well, back to the drawing board...