or Connect

Posts by Axel Rinder Hultman

Yeah, it belongs in my introductory thread. Because I've already experienced (boar) the problems that may occur in forums such as these. Big egos and big problems. I'm just saying that I'm into and capable of realizing what the good steel is. I live by it, heck, my face is conditioned and a recipient of it. What it comes down to is more and more about less and less. That's it. I've never overhoned or folded an edge, ,unless it was on purpose, just to see what it would...
"Axel   This is the second thread in which you chose to insult me.  Why?    BDL"   I'm sorry, boar. I only meant it in a light-hearted manner (I put in a winking, smiling emoticon for that reason). You take it very personally; I'll lay off you from now on. But the choice goes both ways, how you take it to heart. Let's be clear on that. My dig on santokus from the Rachael Ray angle was to appeal to your disenthusiasm for it that knife.   "Axel -- Even...
Carbon-Based Life Form   So I asked to rummage through someone's spare kitchen tools. Looking for miscellaneous kitchen equipment to fill my new knife roll for college, given they require certain tools and gadgets I don't use.   I quickly find in this cardboard storage box a nine and a half inch nameless stained and tarnished chef knife. It's wide, tip intact, good solid wood handle. Triple-riveted, stamped blade goodness. Being a honer, I am excited to have a...
Jeeze, bored-to-glaze... ;)   Ya know, I think it should be re-assigned the meaning:  Rachael Ray Knife. That would appeal to you, my porcine friend. I remember reading (years ago) that it was originally Rachael Ray who brought the santoku to the forefront of the trendy media cooking scene. She was originally tight with Furi with that. Don't be too down on the santoku, please. It's a manageable length with more flat than many chef knives. Some people like that. It is...
I've read the word "santoku" translated as three blessings or three virtues. It is supposed to be for chop, slice and dice, roughly. Once someone becomes proficient at honing the longer curved tip of a chef knife becomes a non-issue. It ultimately comes down to personal preference.
bored_de_haze:   "Some good stuff from Chefs Petals and Pete.  I always learn a lot from you guys."   Oh, so not from me, huh? ;)   bored_de_haze:   "Alex, I'm learning from you too, but let me address the OCD thing.  Zoning the board the way Pete describes (and nearly all pros with good skills use), makes the mise flow.  Staying square to the board, allows you to zone it without knocking half your work on the floor or cutting it twice. Once you...
Hello people. Posted an introduction into the "Welcome" sub-forum and now I'm here. I recently enrolled at Saint Paul College (a community and technical college) and I'm in a culinary program. I've got over a decade of home-cook experience. I experimented with vegetarianism for about two years, which didn't work out too good (blood-type O) and I am intolerant to gluten and have problems with dairy proteins and sugars. So I have a reactive immune system. I like foods...
Good idea to create 3 general categories relating to knife skills. I also like to think that the use of the knife to push food around(edge trailing behind spine or using the spine itself) a nd also the second hand to manage the food that is being cut is important, organizational and such. What about the use of the secondary, food-holding hand for some cutting tasks? Yep, I also think that's part of knife/cutting skills.   I believe sharpening/maintenance of the knife edge...
Hello all,   I'm a new culinary student (start next week) in Saint Paul. I experimented with vegetarianism back in '99-01 and it didn't work out very well (obsessed with food probably due to protein deprivation).   I have a few knives and have been free-hand honing them for about 5 years. I enjoy cooking and live almost entirely on my own food. I'm intolerant to gluten and dairy proteins and sugars. I can enjoy sheep and goat cheeses like feta, of the cow...