or Connect

Posts by Leslie Mansfield

Dear Phil, While I love to cook outdoors, I am not an expert on Dutch oven cooking. I have always used Lodge Cast Iron's wonderful products and I know they have several good books on the subject. It must be wonderful to be Scoutmaster! My nephew is 8-years-old I am trying to convince my sister to get him into scouting. Unfortunately her work schedule makes it difficult for after school activities. Leslie
Dear Jodi, For me as a nonfictiong writer, I actually use a spiral notebook for my jottings, then put the finished recipes in filing cabinest under files such as cookies cakes, etc. Perhaps a creative writing course at a community college or books on writing fiction could help. Leslie
Dear Mezzaluna, The best way to find an agent is to go to a literary symposiam. I knpo of two: Maui Writers Conference and there is a new on up in the San juan Islands. My editor goes to these and other conferences specifically to meet new authors. You might check on the internet for these since I don't kno much about them. Add what you are diong by checking the Literary Marketplase and the Writers Market is a good way to find the publishers that print your type of...
Dear Nicko, A career in food writing is incredibly interesting and fun. It is always different and hey, you get to eat your words! I would say to get started, you should find a subject that you are passionate about and begin developing recipes and headnotes. Pretty soon a book or proposal for a book will take shape. When developing recipes (I try to develop 4 new recipes a week) make sure that you take exact notes so that you can write them up on you computer...
Dear Coleen, We have houseguests this weekend that drove in last night from Oregon. I had a huge pot of Buffalo Stew with Suet Dumplings simmering on the stove when they arrived and it was delicious. Thank goodness I doubled the recipe because everyone had thirds! The stew, a salad, and strawberry shortcake (and several bottles of wine!) was a hearty and welcoming meal. Honestly, the buffalo adds a richness that is difficult to explain. I bet the your husband might...
Dear Athenaeus, Right now I am travelling to several events for the Lewis and Clark Cookbook, and doing cooking demonstrations, book signings and dinners with restaurants. These events are throughout the summer. Leslie
Dear Athenaeus, Where did you get my book in Athens?! Greece is one of my favorite countries. Several years ago, I spent about a month in Crete, Athens and Thera and loved every minute. The food is terrific and the monestaries are beautiful. What do you do in Athens? Leslie
Dear Pete, It may seem that writing a book is a solitary effort but in reality, many people are involved. The most important is your editor and I am fortunate in that I have worked with great people that polish and enhance my work. When you start a project, you rough out the length of a book with the publisher, but occasionally that can change for a multitude of reasons, and unfortunately, it always seems to happen at the last minute! So, with everyone at deadline,...
Dear Nancya and Mezzaluna, Following are a few more measurements that may be helpful. I am not certain but I think that pounded sugar is powdered sugar. Leslie 1 wineglass = 1/4 cup 1 jigger = 1.5 fluid ounces 1 gill = 1/2 cup 1 teacup = a scant 3/4 cup 1 coffeecup = a scant cup 1 tumbler = 1 cup 1 saltspoon =1/4 teaspoon 1 kitchen spoon = 1 teaspoon 1 dessert spoon = 2 teaspoons 1 soupspoon = 2 teaspoons 1 spoonful = 1 tablespoon 1...
Dear Nancya, It can be difficult converting old cryptic recipes to what will work in todays kitchens. Following is for oven temperatures. Leslie Very slow oven below 300 degrees F. Slow oven 300 degrees F. Moderately slow oven 325 degrees F. Moderate oven 350 degrees F. Moderately hot oven 375 degrees F. Quick oven 375 - 400 degrees F. Hot oven 400-425 degrees F. Very hot oven 450-475 degrees F. Extremely hot oven 500 degrees F. or more