or Connect

Posts by dcarch

Not true. Low and slow will result in less shrinkage, therefore less waste. (5%+ - ?) . Less waste yes, which is not the same as increased yield. Increased yield means more than you start out with. (  ) dcarch
 Those machines use water as coolant. dcarch
 Generally no. You have to first disassemble the knife to remove the handle, then any unevenness in the grind of the knife will cause the blade to twist, bend and warp. The very fine edge and thick spine of the blade results in severe differential shrinkage of the metal during hardening and often cause the blade to spontaneously crack. dcarch 
Tempering, without going into the science:   Steel (or stainless steel) is very ductile and somewhat soft. It is first cut, forged, heated to red hot and hammered into a knife shape. Then it is ground to have a rough edge, a very dull edge.    At this point it is subject to very high heat and then a very sudden cooling to harden the metal. After hardening the metal is hard but very brittle. It is then tempered slowly in low heat to reduce the brittleness. After the...
Speaking of apples and oranges:   You have 20 years of experience, and OP has 0.   Is it surprising that you have better luck with a motorized sharpener?   dcarch
You can be very careful 100 times. But that one single time you didn't pay attention on one spot along the edge, there goes the value of your knife. dcarch
 That is very true. Because you can have almost any metal sharpen sharp enough to shave hair, including aluminum. The question is how long can the edge remain sharp after you damaged the temper of the steel. That is why I think it is meaningless to see those demos of slicing paper, slicing tomatoes and shaving hair. dcarch
I don't have a ChefsChoice. However, I do use a belt sander and a motorized grinding stone to sharpen some of my knives. I can do that without too much problem because I made many of my knives using D2 tool steel, which is very heat resistant.  The other knives I use my hand stone sharpening system. dcarch
 There is no way you can get around the law of physics. You move metal quickly, you will generate heat. Thin knife edge has extremely low thermal mass, and it can get hot quickly. Unless you us water to lubricate and to cool. As I said you may not even know that your knife edge has been de-tempered. You can't tell if it happened. most of the time the oxidation discoloration gets removed by the grinding. dcarch
As I said, there are two kinds of bok choy. They are both dark green. They will remain dark green even overcooked. If you Google Image you you will see what I mean.   Napa is yellow, and some times very light green. Napa is used often because they taste good and about 1/3 the price, and they can be kept for  along time without wilting.   dcarch   Overcooked bok choy