or Connect

Posts by dcarch

From Google image:   http://www.hubert.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Hubert-HubertUS-Site/Hubert/en_US/images/na/2/6/9/26917_300.jpg   dcarch
Indeed.  When microwave oven first came out people got all emotional about it because they couldn't tell the difference between radioactivity and magnetic radiation. "Under vacuum", "under pressure" totally confused many about sous vide and everyone gets worked up. I mean, it's nothing more than cooking at one single temperature by hot water, much simpler than a slow cooker, toaster oven, convection oven, combi oven, induction oven, pressure cooker --------. Speaking of...
I use mine with a wood blade to cut frozen turkeys in half.   dcarch
Many good posts here. Thank you.   There are so many fun things to try with a SV setup.   One of my favorite:    Around Thanksgiving time, stores are almost giving away turkeys. I would buy a few big ones and SV the whole bird. Normally it takes 4 to 7 days to thaw a frozen turkey. If your refrigerator is not below 40F, your whole family can get sick (unfortunately, 25% ? 50%? of home refrigerators are above 40F).   With SV, you can cook the whole turkey from...
"Science is all theories...... what are you saying "no room for opinions..."? "   You are correct. We are basically talking about the same thing. Science is all theories, formulas, proofs, etc. All theories are either correct or incorrect. Opinions is about what is good and what is bad, Opinion for "democracy" for instance, I think is good, or I think it is bad. Therefore, can vacuum be created in a flexible plastic sous vide bag cannot be an opinion, it is either yes or...
The most important thing about sous vide is that it is a simple cooking appliance. It is up to you to find ways and recipes to use it's unique capability, which is exact temperature control.   Sous vide:   1. a plastic bag to hold your food, the bag does not need to be vacuumed or pressurized, just airless. the bag can be reused. 2. a pot of water. It makes no difference what size or material the pot is. 3. an electric water heater. 4. food, it makes no difference...
 That's why some people are calling it "water oven" which is what it really is. dcarch
100 % consistent  with what I have been saying. The part that confuses everyone is the statement “First you use a vacuum-packing machine to seal food tightly in a plastic bag.” You use the vacuum machine to remove air, the purpose is not to create a vacuum. Don’t forget one very basic scientific fact, water boils in vacuum at room temperature! The statement “The vacuum-packed bag hugs the food, protecting it from contact with the water while trasferring the heat directly...
When it comes to science, there is no room for opinions. "The weight of the atmosphere is on our shoulders, we just don’t notice it " That quote basically explains the apparent contradictions in various observations.The reason why you don't feel the 14 lbs/in sq on our body is because we also  have developed identical opposite pressure to counter act that atmospheric pressure. Ever experienced your ears popping in an airplane? You will literally explode if you are not...
That is true. Air will rush in if you cut a hole in the bag. The reason for that is because the bag material is not completely flexible. If you take a tennis ball, cut a hole and squeeze the air out by hand. The moment you let go of your hand the ball will suck the air back in. It does not mean there was vacuum inside the ball before. In your example of compressing melon, it is possible because the melon is porous in structure. You can in fact create good vacuum and...