or Connect

Posts by dcarch

Heat lamp will not work for 20 plates. Will take a whole day.   Easiest if you have access to a microwave.   Wet some small kitchen towels, put one in between two plates, stack the plates. Paper towels if you don't have kitchen towels.   It will not take long to have all 20 plates very hot, boiling hot, depending on your microwave power.     dcarch
They bigger ones can cause serious  injuries.   Don't have them near your credit cards.   Great for erasing hard drives when you dispose hard drives.     When you throw out hard drives, open it up, there are two rare earth magnets to be savaged.     dcarch
A lot has changed since this thread was first posted.   Sous vide cooker was $1,000   Today a sous vide circulator can be less than $200.   Don't play games with food safety. A sous vide cooker can pprecisely  pasteurize your eggs.   dcarch
I play with my food, but that does not mean I don't respect food. :-)   dcarch    
 There is no such thing "food pairing" IMHO. I know, I will be the laughing stock on this Forum. Gorgonzola and pears pairing will make many people from other cultures puke, and v.s. Thousand year eggs and pickled ginger, you like? I think tastes in flavors are mostly aquired.  Food pairing must also consider the texture component. What do you think of Gorgonzola and pears smoothie? How about ice cream that is not frozen? Same flavor, right? dcarch
Chicken cracklins for garnish, probably needs to be done a little differently:   dcarch    
Gas heats by conduction. Electric heats by 1/2 conduction and 1/2 infrared radiation.   IR cannot heat up areas that is in the shadow of the heating elements.   There is a little difference in the development of crust when you bake.     dcarch
And here is me removing duck skin.   dcarch  
From Google:   "Sugar, which is a natural part of the fig will sometimes migrate to the surface of the fig, causing these crystals. This sugaring is often confused with mold. This is not mold, but simply a naturally occurring ingredient. Because of the extra sweetness caused by the sugaring, many consumers actually prefer a sugared fig."   dcarch
The time it takes to wrap a knife, buy a box, seal the box, address the box, go to the post office to send it, is enough for me to sharpen 10 knives.   dcarch