or Connect

Posts by dcarch

Any steel can be razor sharp out from the factory. It does not have much meaning.     dcarch
 As it happens, tenderloin was on sale here. It was for the whole length. I trimmed, de-silver skinned  and cut into portions and put them into the freezer, all except a long thin piece, about 8" long and about 3/4" to 1/2" thick, which I was going to use for dinner. A friend came, So I took out one two-inch thick frozen piece, not thawed, together with the long thin piece, bagged them both into the SV cooker. Both were done exactly right edge-to-edge at the same time,...
The tiny fruit flies can get thru typical window insect screens.   dcarch
Actually, that is a different situation. I have simplified 98% of the SV cooking situation. You can indeed create pressure and vacuum inside the bag if you have cavities in the food, such as SV a whole chicken, the rib cage will allow a vacuum to happen.  Those food which start out with some cavities will be subjected to pressure when you draw a vacuum. Otherwise, imagine your skin is the vacuum bag, do you feel any atmospheric pressure? Even there is 40,000 lbs of air...
"under pressure" or "under vacuum" are totally irrelevant to the Science  technique of SV cooking. That is so unfortunate that those terms confused many people. If you measure with an instrument, you will see there is no pressure nor vacuum inside the bag. The vacuum machine does only one thing, that is to remove air, and you can do that with a straw using your mouth. SV = precision temperature control using water to conduct heat efficiently and uniformly. (which permits...
I belong to a couple of BBQ/grill/smoke forums. It is kind of interesting, those self-proclaimed red-necks and hillbillies are really into sous vide. Many of them are buying SV cookers.   SV will never make you a good cook. It is a small part of the cooking process. You still need many other skills and good recipes.   SV is no different than a convection oven, which cooks by moving hot air. SV cooks by moving hot water.   It is useful for everyone to consider SV...
 it seems that since we started using microwave radiation, Teflon cookware, aluminum, plastics, chemicals ---------- in foods, we are living longer and longer. Since 1930 we on the average living 18 years longer.  dcarch
Did you actually read that article? If you did, you will see that you really will be agreeing that SV is even better than pressure cooking in retention / absorption of nutrients. SV keeps all the liquid and cooks at a much lower temperature than a PC. dcarch
 Come on, admit it. We sous vide practitioners are a lazy bunch, otherwise why would I have a food processor? a dishwasher? -------------- an automobile? I SVed beets yesterday, with home made butter and yuzu (home grown) orange juice. I will be making that again and again.  dcarch
Microwave is an appliance i can't do without in the kitchen for food.   Then there are many more non-cooking uses:   1. When you have to throw away CDs you made with confidential information on them, 20 seconds in the microwave for a whole stack of CDs/DVDs will completely destroy the information on them.   2. I use the microwave to sanitize kitchen towels. Wet it zap it, no more germs.   3. In wood crafts, using fresh wet wood, you need to wait many months for the...