or Connect

Posts by dcarch

Vacuum has nothing to do with sous vide.     dcarch
If the edge has been de-tempered by aggressive grinding just once. All the best steel and sharpening skills are meaningless. Just throw the knife away. It is permanently ruined.   Perhaps that is what happened to OP's knife.   dcarch 
Sous vide cooking gives me great results in cooking. It also gives me great entertainment. I find it amusing to see people get so emotionally raw (  ) in a such a simple cooking concept.   "Onsen tamago" has been around for centuries. It is low and slow egg cooking in Japan in natural hot water which keeps constant precise temperature. "White cut" chicken in Chinese cooking too has been around for centuries. It is cooking low and slow in hot water using the natural law...
 Not true. Low and slow will result in less shrinkage, therefore less waste. (5%+ - ?) . Less waste yes, which is not the same as increased yield. Increased yield means more than you start out with. (  ) dcarch
 Those machines use water as coolant. dcarch
 Generally no. You have to first disassemble the knife to remove the handle, then any unevenness in the grind of the knife will cause the blade to twist, bend and warp. The very fine edge and thick spine of the blade results in severe differential shrinkage of the metal during hardening and often cause the blade to spontaneously crack. dcarch 
Tempering, without going into the science:   Steel (or stainless steel) is very ductile and somewhat soft. It is first cut, forged, heated to red hot and hammered into a knife shape. Then it is ground to have a rough edge, a very dull edge.    At this point it is subject to very high heat and then a very sudden cooling to harden the metal. After hardening the metal is hard but very brittle. It is then tempered slowly in low heat to reduce the brittleness. After the...
Speaking of apples and oranges:   You have 20 years of experience, and OP has 0.   Is it surprising that you have better luck with a motorized sharpener?   dcarch
You can be very careful 100 times. But that one single time you didn't pay attention on one spot along the edge, there goes the value of your knife. dcarch
 That is very true. Because you can have almost any metal sharpen sharp enough to shave hair, including aluminum. The question is how long can the edge remain sharp after you damaged the temper of the steel. That is why I think it is meaningless to see those demos of slicing paper, slicing tomatoes and shaving hair. dcarch