or Connect

Posts by dcarch

A very good question. You are correct that lemon juice can give you ceviche like texture, which is very nice. In this case I only use the lemon rind. It is amazing, by the very nature of sous vide, the lemon rind is intimately in contact with the scallops for a long time, the lemon flavor really got infused into the scallops. dcarch
I use blossoms a lot in cooking. They are food.   The picture I posted in the Scallop thread shows lemon blossoms used. Lemon blossoms are very fragrant. They really make the dish, Meyer lemon marinated scallops, outstanding.   Have you tries Lilac ice cream? Lilac also is very perfume-y. Last month I made lilac ice cream with lilac blossoms on top. Have you tried Violet jelly?   Try sprinkle a few rose petals on a salad and you will see how fast your salad gets...
When it comes to cooking and food, we have to understand that there is no one way, right way, and there are always a thousand "The very perfect, ultimate best" recipes around. Bread is steamed soft in Asian countries, but bread must have a crusty exterior in the West.Sake is used hot, wine is consumed cold. I find it perfectly acceptable if someone likes to have dry aged prime ribs well done with ketchup on top.I find there is nothing wrong for someone to drink fine wine...
 Typically it does not take long for me to pile food on a plate. Also it takes very little time for the pictures because all my pictures are standard shots, one top and one side. There is no "playing to get the right angles" or get the right lighting. Snap, Snap, eat food. I don't use a heat lamp. I either keep the plates in the oven, or microwave the plate with a wet towel on it or simply put the plate on the stove with a very low fire. dcarch
 I don't do any diets. The science of diets, nutrition, and health is seriously confused and hopelessly irresponsible. Instead, I go by the "Great Dieting Scheme For The Dummies". The simple information is right before your eyes. Just Google "Global life expectancy / life span", then follow what the longest ones and eat what they eat. I belong to a few smokers/grillers forums. They all have member get togethers. Just look at the group pictures of the members and you can...
What ChrisBelgium said, x 2.   The second picture. There was a thread about negative space.   You don't plate food with the intention of creating attractive negative space. The second picture shows great negative space is the end result of good plating.   My ultimate tip:   Never ever use the flash to take food pictures.   dcarch
 There is no way I will say any of my cooking is better than any others. Depending on what you are trying to achieve and what is your personal preference.  In watching the video, it all of a sudden occurred to me that there is one thing I do that's different than many typical cooking methods. I have found that in cooking there is over use of bacon fat, duck fat, heavy cream, and butter. Ever wonder why obesity has reached epidemic proportions? Very sad! I like the flavor...
Thanks Chef Torrie. Crowded and disorganized? You bet.  But with a severe case of delusional disorder, I convinced myself that it's poetic chaos, it's conscious disorder, Unlike a trained professional such as yourself, when I have to put food on a platter I never have a plan as to what to do. The resulting cacophony of colors and form comes from my listening to my inner voice. Inner voice, “Grasshopper, a dish is like your new born child with his/hers given DNA and...
 I did not say I know the guy, I did not say he is a good friend of mine, I only said that by random chance I bump into him on the train. I was curious if Chef Torrie who takes the same train everyday, he's got to have met him. If you say you bumped into Obama in McD eating a big Mac, I definitely would not say you are tacky and name dropping. Just MHO. But thanks for the helpful advice. I appreciate it. dcarch
 Thank you for understanding.  My interest in SV, one of the many ways of cooking methods which I am interested in, is not to denounce normal cooking methods, but to study the possibilities of this unique cooking tool. I will be making SV hamburgers tonight. There is a big argument ( I am not part of it) going on the other food site about whether it is worth it to make SV burgers. So I will try it out myself. BTW, I noticed that you are from CT. There is a very good chance...