or Connect

Posts by dcarch

I don't have a ChefsChoice. However, I do use a belt sander and a motorized grinding stone to sharpen some of my knives. I can do that without too much problem because I made many of my knives using D2 tool steel, which is very heat resistant.  The other knives I use my hand stone sharpening system. dcarch
 There is no way you can get around the law of physics. You move metal quickly, you will generate heat. Thin knife edge has extremely low thermal mass, and it can get hot quickly. Unless you us water to lubricate and to cool. As I said you may not even know that your knife edge has been de-tempered. You can't tell if it happened. most of the time the oxidation discoloration gets removed by the grinding. dcarch
As I said, there are two kinds of bok choy. They are both dark green. They will remain dark green even overcooked. If you Google Image you you will see what I mean.   Napa is yellow, and some times very light green. Napa is used often because they taste good and about 1/3 the price, and they can be kept for  along time without wilting.   dcarch   Overcooked bok choy              
The biggest problem with an electric sharpening device is that  it can permanently, instantly and irreparably destroy the temper of the thin thin edge  by over heating.   You wouldn't even know that it happened.   "Why my expensive knife wouldn't hold a sharp edge? Must be the fault of the manufacturer!"   dcarch
It is definitely tofu skin. Tofu skin comes in sheet form and stick form. This is the stick form tofu skin. First it is soaked in water to make it soft, then deep fried for various recipes. In the enlarged picture, you can actually very clearly see the circled inside thin tofu skin that was not fried thoroughly. The arrows point to the characteristic horizon lines of tofu skin in stick form. You can also see the typical bubbles of fried tofu skin. dcarch  
 Those are called "cloud ears", a type of fungus, not really mushrooms. No sorry, not trying to be stubborn. . Those are napa cabbage. Google Image cooked napa cabbage and see for yourself. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2686/4310398395_341ff639be.jpg http://flavorexplosions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/img_6451_1.jpg There are two kinds of bok choy, neither one is shown in the...
 That is not napa. That is a savoy cabbage.This is a napa cabbage: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/%C4%8C%C3%ADnsk%C3%A9_zel%C3%AD.jpg dcarch
Not disputing either, just offer what I think I know, I can be wrong. It is a big world, anything is possible.  I am 99% sure that is napa cabbage. Chinese restaurants so not typically offer sauce for soups (just soy sauce on the table) Some soups come with red vinegar. Some people will ask for hot pepper sauce (similar to Sriracha). Onions' common name in China is "Foreign scallion". When onions are used in dishes caramelization is not a common Chinese kitchen...
Onions are not commonly used in traditional Chinese cooking, almost never in soups. If you Google image you will see that is exactly napa cabbage (yellow leaves) not bok choy (green leaves) If you Google image Fried tufo skin, which is commonly used in soups, that is exactly what it is. Hoisin is almost never used in that kind of recipes. Hoisin is mostly a BBQ sauce.  The soup, what I said is basically a Chinese Master Stock very difficult to duplicate at home, which as...
Often, you can't really duplicate the taste of this kind of dishes.    There is no recipe for it, and lot of times they use a stock that has been continuously cooked for many years non-stop, adding more ingredients and water everyday.   In the picture:    Those are mung bean sprouts, not soy bean sprouts. No bok choy, that is napa cabbage. On the spoon that looks like fried tofu (soy) skin.   Black mushrooms probably dried shiitake muchrooms.   dcarch