or Connect

Posts by dcarch

Chef Torrie, your previous post before you removed it, "I am not trying to be mean",   I will take your word for it.   Very recently, there are a few sophisticated sous vide circulators came on the market for under $200.00. They generated a lot of excitement in the cooking world. Over 10,000 units were sold in a very short time.   I sense that you don’t feel the topic of sous vide is appropriate for a cooking forum, and no one else should be wasting their time...
 When it comes to cooking, good presentation makes the food taste better, and there is no sure way to get a huge "WOW!!!" from others. Not claim to know that much about plating, my personal opinion is to study "rules" and "tips", but never follow them, or you will end up only piling food on top of each other, and use the back of the spoon to drag across the sauce. "Painting by numbers" will never make you an artist. I do believe that there is an artist in everyone, you got...
Absolutely, exactly the science. Classic Physics 101 experiment: Two small pieces of flat glass, put them together and you will have no problem pulling them apart.Put a little drop of water between them and you will not be able to pull them apart. It's the reason for the dimples on knives. Also take a look on youtube on how people can climb up buildings using suction cups, it's possible because of air pressure. dcarch
Other than enjoying looking at all your wonderful cooking, I have not had much time to post here. Time for me to contribute something.   Sous vide is a wonderful cooking tool, especially for meats. Total texture control.   dcarch   Sous Vide NY Strip Steak     Sous Vide Crispy Chicken Thigh  
Why don't you show a few pictures here and let everyone suggest something?   dcarch
 Good questions, but my answers may not do you much good :-). My smoker is also a working refrigerator with a cold smoke generator, that permits me to cold smoke before sous vide. It is also equipped with an ultrasonic humidifier, therefore it does not dry out food after a long smoke. dcarch
 Here is a dish in which the scallops were sous vided and smoked, but not seared at all. This dish was entered in a cooking competition a few weeks ago.I won the competition.  
 I was traveling to Buenos Aires Argentina when the country was falling apart. I couldn't have my Argentinian cash converted to other currencies. No one wanted Argentinian money. But that was long time ago. A very beautiful country. Very European. Good food. I had my picture taken in front of the Pink House ------ "Don't Cry For Me Argentina"  dcarch
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the practice of sous vide here. How long and how deep you like the caramelization on sous vided scallops is entirely up  to you. Sous vide allows you the total freedom of timing, because you are not concerned about overcooing or under cooking the interior. The fact that my searing is not up to your standards is  just my own personal preference because I don't like the bitter taste of over sear. That does not mean others...
 Maillard reaction,  The reaction is a form of non-enzymatic browning which proceeds rapidly from around 284F to 329 °F. At higher temperatures, caramelization happens, which is also a type of non-enzymatic browning, and it happens around 230F to 356F. The rate for both types of reactions are temperature dependent and chemical (PH, and seasoning used) dependent, not so much on timing as you explained. Perhaps your experiencing timing issue can be explained the following...