or Connect

Posts by dcarch

Petals, I cook Daylily flower, hosta flower, arugula flowers, chrysanthemum flower, dandelion flowers, chive flowers, and many more -------- and of course everyone cooks squash blossoms.   dcarch
 I am not sure in fact that's the video's intention of advertisement. If so the label would have been very clear, and much more prominently displayed. When a maker pays for advertisement, the product placement is always right at your face, more than once.  The point of the discussion is just that some don't like truffle oil and some do. The ones who do should not be insulted, and vice versa.  dcarch
I found something too, not on the WEB, in MoMA!   dcarch :-)  
 Another great question! "Sous vide", "Under Vacuum",  "Under Pressure" etc, are all very bad names for this method of cooking. These are the names which give people the phobia, confusions, allergies, whenever sous vide is mentioned. The names are scientifically wrong for what sous vide is. A sous vide cooker is very much similar to a convection oven and a deep fryer. A convection oven is an appliance which cooks food by circulating hot air. A deep fryer cooks food by...
Venison haunch steak can be fabulously delicious, and lusciously tender, if done right. Overcooked, it can taste like liver and tough like expired car tire, under cooked it can be very gamy.   Correct temperature and timing makes it perfect for sous vide.   However, not knowing where the animal came from and the age, it is difficult to say what works.   I have done venison sous vide at 132F and 10 hours. May be the best thing to do is to try it out with a small piece...
A very good question. You are correct that lemon juice can give you ceviche like texture, which is very nice. In this case I only use the lemon rind. It is amazing, by the very nature of sous vide, the lemon rind is intimately in contact with the scallops for a long time, the lemon flavor really got infused into the scallops. dcarch
I use blossoms a lot in cooking. They are food.   The picture I posted in the Scallop thread shows lemon blossoms used. Lemon blossoms are very fragrant. They really make the dish, Meyer lemon marinated scallops, outstanding.   Have you tries Lilac ice cream? Lilac also is very perfume-y. Last month I made lilac ice cream with lilac blossoms on top. Have you tried Violet jelly?   Try sprinkle a few rose petals on a salad and you will see how fast your salad gets...
When it comes to cooking and food, we have to understand that there is no one way, right way, and there are always a thousand "The very perfect, ultimate best" recipes around. Bread is steamed soft in Asian countries, but bread must have a crusty exterior in the West.Sake is used hot, wine is consumed cold. I find it perfectly acceptable if someone likes to have dry aged prime ribs well done with ketchup on top.I find there is nothing wrong for someone to drink fine wine...
 Typically it does not take long for me to pile food on a plate. Also it takes very little time for the pictures because all my pictures are standard shots, one top and one side. There is no "playing to get the right angles" or get the right lighting. Snap, Snap, eat food. I don't use a heat lamp. I either keep the plates in the oven, or microwave the plate with a wet towel on it or simply put the plate on the stove with a very low fire. dcarch