or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by dcarch

Meat knows only one thing, that is temperature.    Get a good instant read digital thermometer, and read up on "resting" and "carry over heat".   Good temperature control is the key in making good steak.   Don't be confused by "high heat first, low heat later" v.s. "Low heat first, high heat later", both work fine.   After you are able to make good steak, then worry about recipes, seasonings, etc. to make great steak.     dcarch
 Cheese cloth helps, but not that much. Try coffee filter. Very slow, so you need to do it in a refrigerator. It takes hours. The ultimate way is an ultra-centrifuge machine, it will give you scary clear broth. The machine only cost $10,000 to $30,000. Don't laugh. I know people who are really into Modernist cooking have those machines. Go to ebay and you will see bidding wars when one of this machine comes up. dcarch
  Do not use sugar in any form.   Fine sugar in air becomes a sticky mess.   It is possible to hire a Chinese pulled noodle chef to make hair thin blackened (or blonde) noodles for you. It will take him 5 minutes.   Yes, they can make noodles hair-thin.   dcarch
To avoid boiling completely yet maintain a temperature higher than boiling to get the most out form you precious chicken parts in the shortest amount of time:   1. Put all your ingredients in a metal pot, add water.   2. Put the pot in a pressure cooker and cook for about 30 to 45 minutes. Let pressure drop very slowly by itself.   You are basically steaming at higher than boiling point temperature without boiling.    The stock will be amazing.     dcarch
 That can be true too. I routinely use London Broil sometimes brisket and make that into steak. London Broil $1.98 a lb, v.s. brisket $3.99 a lb v.s. Porterhouse $10.99 a lb. 48 hours in my sous vide cooker, at 128F, Sear each side on cast iron skillet at 570 F for a few second. Fork tender London Broil beefy medium rare steak! dcarch
I say, there is no skill that can make a bad steak taste good. However, you can make a bad steak into a good stew.   To make a good stew, good seasoning is 98% of the effort, 2% is in skill. I know people who can mess up this 2% effort and turn a stew into pure carbon. (Me, it happened to me. LOL!)   dcarch
 IMHO, 95% of the success is to have a good slab of beef. Then, 95% of that remaining 5% is about timing and temperature to get the right texture.. If a steak is done perfectly, with no seasoning whatsoever on it, give it to me, I will just sprinkle some salt and pepper on it, and it will be spectacular just the same. dcarch
 Thermometer, oven temperature dial, all can help, but we all know that steaks get messed up just the same. We all have been there, done that. Flavor and taste and seasoning are all subjective, but not texture. You don't need to taste the steak, cut it open, and you know immediately visually something is not right.  dcarch
 I believe vacuum is not an essential aspect of sous vide cooking.  Sous vide needs to have air bubbles removed for better water/food heat conduction. Many people sous vide using Ziplock bags without drawing a vacuum. Food needs to be in a bag, so that flavor will not be washed away by moving hot water. Also, for low temperature cooking, less chance for contamination. dcarch
 That would be sous vide cooking. Which is how I do my lobsters.  dcarch
New Posts  All Forums: