or Connect

Posts by dcarch

Keep them coming friends, I appreciate all comments, good or bad. That's how I learn and improve. I have fun with all new cooking tools. They can solve old problems and inspire new solutions. I see bacon and scallops together all the time, I also see way overcooked scallops and soggy bacon. Sous vide gives me different ways to deal with the issues. The minimal sear on the second one obviously it was supposed to be a Valentine's theme dish. The scallops had plenty of...
Thanks Petals. You have been my inspiration in my focus in food presentation. dcarch
 All I have been saying, if I have a 15-lb prime rib, frozen solid, and I want to cook immediately it to 131F exactly, without thawing, edge-to-edge, no gray zone and raw center, the thin part as well as the thick part, and I don't want to keep poking around with a thermometer, and I don't want to overcook it if I forgot to watch the clock, or under cook it, then I know of one way for me to do it, and that is SV. I am sure you have a way to do the same. For me, another...
 Who said that? dcarch
No harm done.  I said SV is cooking for dummies. That is what I believe, kind of. SV is never the whole cooking process, if is only part of the preparation. It does one thing no other cooking method or skill can match, that is cook whatever to better than one degree accuracy. That part is SV, and any dummy can do that by pushing a few buttons.  The real cooking come afterwards, and that require much more skill. I am not sure I understand why this wonderful tool should be...
My posts have been exchanging cooking ideas with the OP, in no way I had try to persuade anyone to abandon what works for him or her, certainly I had no intention in making you change your ways. If my posting ideas in a cooking forum in the sous vide techniques offend you, I am very sorry.  I understand you work for a well known restaurant here in NYC, chances are I have eaten many of your delicious dishes done the traditional way more than once. I lunch with clients...
 I totally agree with you. There are plenty of skillful chefs on this forum.  dcarch
  Sous vide scallops Realllllllllllllllly? Yes and no. Scallops are like eggs, every few degrees in cooking temperature make a different in texture. If you like tough dried out scallops cooked at 212 F, you should just boil the scallops, sous vide will make absolutely no sense. Scallops are very expensive and they are so delicate. I have found that I, as well as many others, enjoy the texture the best if they are cooked at 122F, no higher than 125F, and no less than...
What do you mean by "Dry scallops"? Makes a difference.   Use dried dry scallops to have the best results.   For the very perfect results, sous dry vide scallops to exact temperature, paper towel dry and into freezer for 10 minutes, then sear on red hot pan for a few seconds. This way it will make no difference how big and how cold each scallops you start out with.   dcarch
It is interesting that sound system talk comes up in this Cutco thread. Actually there are similarities between buying a knife and buying a sound system.   Personally I will never buy or use a Cutco knife, however, apparently Cutco is doing not too badly, so they must be serving some needs out there, and I have no problem with that. If someone spends a lot of hard earned cash and is happy with the purchase, I will not go and tell him/her that he/she is a moron. If...