or Connect

Posts by Headless Chicken

Well when I mean total collapse of infrastructure is basically to plan for the absolute worse case so whether its only gas, water, or electric that I would be prepared for any of those circumstances or shorter term if they all fail.   I live in an urban area (city kid) in a pretty tight knit community so sharing of resources isn't an issue; for instance during the big blackout, our neighbour relies on an electric stove and they had a 5 year old son so we heated up...
I've been contemplating around building a "stay put" survival kit for home.  We got hit by a big power outage a couple months back when a transformer blew and we were without power for a few good hours.  It brought back the memories and concerns of the big blackout that hit the whole easter seaboard several years back.  We weren't prepared back then and its the same story today.  Mind you, I run gas at home so heating food wasn't a problem then but it got me thinking if...
I second the Gumbo Shop.  Palace Cafe is part of the umbrella company that runs Commander's Palace, they're more budget couscious by comparison.  The Bourbon House was my first stop when I went looking for a place to eat so I took a chance there.  Excellent food there but I can not recall the price, I do believe it was reasonable.  Begniets and Cafe au Lait almost every morning at Cafe Du Monde.  You'll find your legs will automatically take you there. I recalled...
So I've been back for a week now.  The couple that invited us down had us held up at a suite at the Venetian so I decided not to do much, just soak up the suite life.   The Venetian: Absolutely beautiful hotel.  I never really found the lobby in years past till I stayed there this year, I took note the Bouchon entrance is located there but I didn't get to eat there again this year.  The suite we got was 1 of their substandards but hey...
Moral of the story: meet someone who can cook if you can't or meet someone who can't cook if you can. Either way, they'll leave you gasping for air! :D
My late grandmother was very picky being an eldery Chinese lady.  Made coffee cakes, up-side-down cakes, lemon meringue pie, even some Chinese pastries like Dang Dhat (egg tart) but nothing phased her.  Finally, made a very simple apple pie that impressed her so that she wanted me to teach her how to make it.   I made my Baileys eclairs for a Christmas potluck dinner.  It impressed so many that some of the people who had other parties to go to packed away as many of...
For now I'm staying to network with her.  Shes only there temporarily for the summer while, I'm guessing at the very least, there is an ongoing investigation into upper management.  Currently my chef is off on vacation so I'm filling in, not a lot of time for our 1 on 1 just yet. 
My mother felt it, she works on the 18th floor at a sky-rise and the whole building had to be evacuated.  I was working in the basement floor so I didn't feel a thing.  Even minor tremors are very rare around these parts, doesn't surprise me that everyone was freaking out like Hazel II was on its way. 
After much debating on my last thread here, I took people's advice on leaving my workplace.  I ran into an old manager who use to work at my unit who climbed up the corporate ladder and found me another position within the company at a different unit, she all too well understood the problems of my unit.   Now, one of the biggest problems will not be around for at least the summer after years of abusive behavior and demonstrations of serious incompetence and...
Nice write up, I'm hitting Vegas in a couple months so this will help me plan out the food portion of my trip.  Bouchon is definitely on my list for dinner, I will be staying at the Venetian.  Thanks.