or Connect

Posts by Rastafoodian

I love my Hoffritz cleaver! I believe they are now known as International Cutlery. I've had it for many years.   I actually think I learned quite a bit about cleaver techniques by watching Chef Martin Yan on tv some years ago. He is a total cleaver wizard!!!   the cleaver sharpens easily and stays VERY sharp for a good amount of time, it also has a very straight edge compared to the curve of most cleaver blades. I use it for probably too many things... but like...
The grease, that's a solid one! Here's one that's so obvious no one mentioned it.... burnt popcorn, microwaved or not. It sticks to the walls, your clothes, your nostrils... peeee-YEW!
Well I think I'm highly qualified to answer this, because I genuinely crave a steak maybe once every 3 years... love meat, just don't crave steak much. And since it's only one steak for me every few years, it better be a darn great steak!!   My favorite flavor on steak - Sea Salt, coarse ground black pepper, and FIRE!   For all I care, when I crave that steak, it can be totally plain. Except for the FIRE! Fire adds the best flavor!
D C Sunshine... I just never wanted to put it on a rack because there is something special about the flavor of the pork cooking for so long in it's own fat that renders off. I think on a rack (without water at the bottom of the pan) the meat would really dry out AND not cook in it's own juices.... Never tried the slow cook with a chicken, but a chicken will render a lot more fat than a hunk of pork shoulder... Hmmmm
That's all good stuff ChefBillyB... and that makes sense about the water. Sometimes, depending on the pot, some of the meat at the bottom does get overcooked.
That's what I was thinking... why change it if it's so darn good the way I do it. The recipe... well, I promised never to share it (exactly with non-family)... it came from a mexican grandma.   But I'll tell you the ingredients!   A few pounds of cheap pork, slow cooked (my favorite is pork shoulder or country style ribs), then torn and cut into bite sized pieces. Lots of Hatch Roasted & peeled Green Chilis (the giant cans of it are great, or buy it from...
I have this incredible, and simple, green chili recipe that starts with some slow cooked pork. Usually I use a cheap cut like a pork shoulder and cook it uncovered overnight at about 250 degrees. No seasoning or anything, and the next morning it's just a big chunk of falling apart deliciousness. The outside of the meat develops a nice bark and the inside is super tender.   My question: The person I learned this recipe from taught me to do it as described above. But...
If I ask nice will you all let me in?! Is there a hazing? Do I have to eat or do something crazy?   I've been reading ChefTalk for a while, now it's time to participate! The ChefTalk forums are the best thing since sliced bread, Iron Chef Japan, and silicon spatulas!   Nice to meet you all! - Chris (Rastafoodian)   Doh! I had to re-post this greeting... I posted it before I confirmed my account here and it promptly disappeared. Nice to know there are...
If I ask nice will you let me in? Is there a hazing? Do I have to eat or do something crazy?   I've been reading ChefTalk for a while, now it's time to participate! The ChefTalk forum.... well, I dare say it's one of the best things since sliced bread, silicon spatulas, and Iron Chef Japan.   Nice to meet you all, - Chris (Rastafoodian)