or Connect

Posts by BenRias

Don't worry about trying out-there "new" stuff. Stick with the basics in a new fashion. Pates getting boring? Try country style...add mushrooms as the inner-garnish, or wrap in prosciutto. Etc. PM me if you want to brainstorm ideas and such. Good luck!
I had this problem A LOT when I worked the line in my earliest cooking days.  The solution for me was whisking a little slower, which allowed the eggs to come up to the proper temperature.  I think for me, I feared OVERCOOKING the yolks.  So I would beat them as fast as I could.  By slowing down and allowing the heat to rise appropriately, the eggs thickened and the small, foamy bubbles went away.  Mess with your speed and flame temperatures, and eventually you will learn...
For my jalepenos seedlings, I started with just an average envelope of seeds I bought a couple of years back (old seeds=first strike against me.)  I put them in the soil with no special preparation (strike two against me) and eventually got two x 3" sprouts out of about 6 seeds that I planted.  I didn't do the whole testing the soil pH, drainage, pre-soaking the seeds, tenting or plastic cup to incubate them, etc.  as was recommended by a few people.  But that in no way...
Hey there!  There are a bunch of different ways to make great fajitas at home.  Here are a couple of tips that will help you:   1)Most importantly to get the right taste, you need to use the proper cooking technique.  To do the technique correctly in your home kitchen, prepare yourself for a smoky house and a slightly splattered stove-top.  So have your vent flowing and/or your windows/doors open--and be ready to fan your smoke alarms with towels if they are...
Another question for you that may be hard to answer: Do you have a single favorite cut of meat to cook with?  Maybe a better question would be do you have a favorite meat for each cooking method (e.g. smoking, grilling, bbq)?
Steven,    I am very excited to see you here on ChefTalk! I really fell for your foods through watching Primal Grill.  Best grilling/BBQ program on TV!  I have a few questions for you, but so others may participate in each topic, I will parse them out over a couple of different threads.     First, I am curious about who your cooking inspirations were?  Was there someone in your family or professionally that just got you excited to pursue grilling/bbq in depth?
Thanks for the responses!     The salsa was for a Cinco de Mayo fundraiser for a local scouting troop in Southern California.  It is a small troop, so I was really surprised by how many orders they took in.    For my original recipe measurements, I did them by weight.  I took my original recipe (which makes 1.5 portions), then followed the recommended procedure by the CIA in Professional Chef.  This means determining the Recipe Conversion Factor (RCF),...
I just wanted to share this experience for those who have also gone through this before when dramatically increasing a recipe's yield.I just completed a job where I made appx 100 take-home servings of fresh salsa, each container holding about 16 oz. While I have made this salsa in big batches in the past, this was the first time I had to make this much at one time. I scheduled everything as best as I could, and I did the appropriate math to increase my original recipe,...
Sorry for the delay in responding.  I haven't had computer access for a couple of days.  Before I wrote the last comment a few days ago, I searched all my travel books, but I could not remember the name.  Since nothing was jumping out at me during my search on the internet, I resorted to Google Earth to find it.  I zoomed around Kona until I found the Longs Drug Store.  Then I zoomed some more around the parking lot.  When the sites started looking familiar, I knew I was...
I know that this may be contradictory to your island vacation, but there is a very good French restaurant in Kona that was very good for a romantic night and/or just great food. Its called La Bourgogne.  As for breakfast, Aloha Angel Cafe was also pretty good and hearty. Sit on the patio if you can on a sunny morning.  There is also a plate-lunch place near a Longs Drugs but I can't remember the name of it.  But they had terrific crispy pork...it was BBQ pork with a red...