or Connect

Posts by phillipo

Mmmmmmmm! Man-id come eat at your establishment-just for the staff menu!! Damnnnn im hungary now!    
Omg bloody servers-who want to be served b4 guests,and eat what they like,on the menu or not -AHHHH! Now look what your've done-wheres my medi's,ma blood preasure  just went wayyyy up! Mmmm,dont get me started-that was another forum, i remember!  The "Brass-Ass",aka management, tried that stunt-30% off already  dear a-la-carte prices,including chefs! It lasted 5 minutes-some  (servers) suprise,suprise even "ate takeout" in front of guests! Every kitchen,i have...
ahhh yes-the dreaded salary-what we call "a love job"-cos we do soooo much for love    
Mate-welcome to my world,in most Bistros n other restaurants ive been in-i would easily do 50+, 56 is not uncommon,but average,bar the big hotels where u still get the luxury 8 hours. I find  here in OZ,if u want to work with the top places with the top chefs-they use that reputation to make u do horrendous hours,like 70 just for apprentices. As a sou chef in many places,though particularly my last,,it was not uncommon to do straight through from 10am to...
Um,i think  Billy b is right-i've just spent 2+ years with no holiday while battling with an imbecilic management hell bent on cutting staff,quality, -oh,and costs,had i taken a week off they'd have me replaced in no time (or most likely not replaced) Mind you,this was comming from an executive commitee of clowns with no Hospitality experience-instead i had a doctor,two motor mechanics,a fridge mechanic,an accountant and a tiler among others telling me how to run a...
Pete,your've a wise head on those old shoulders  
Freedom huh,this can apply in several ways as pointed out by my fellow chefs/cooks,sure,i believe its true  (with your proposed experience,tho a degree is not essential-but u can command more $$) you have the FREEDOM (1) to work around the world, as,unlike those in factorys facing retrenchment due to over production/slow sales,people will always need to eat-therefore  culinary people will always be in demand,in work no matter what country. As for...
Great posts! I had no idea italians were soooooooooooo regional till i worked for them! If anyone has any menu  suggestions from the FURLAN / FRULANI region of Italy,id appreciate them,thanks. The word "Casalinga" springs to mind....
AWSOME!!-SSSSooooooooooooooo true!!! I salute you!  
  I can sooo relate as i insist on pace and multi tasking,yet i have a dipstick apprentice whom insists on hand whipping cream while 3 mixers remain idle cos "it takes the same time"......... oh dear,he just dont get it I too had a simular application  for an apprentice cook  from a guy in his 30s who worked for years in computers,earning way more $ than me-who claimed he didnt care about the money cos his wife got $400. an hour as a lawyer and he just wanted to do...