or Connect

Posts by txfoodie

I completely agree, Dagger. When Food Network was taken over by... I think it was the Discovery Channel people? ... viewers saw an instant difference in the look and feel of the network--new sleek graphics and commercials, and a decidedly deliberate slant towards entertainment over instruction/information in the programming. I miss shows like Taste with David Rosengarten, Sarah Moulton (she's been relegated to off-peak times), and Dining Around with Nina Griscom and...
I'm with you cajun_angel. I thought Project Runway (which Top Chef is modeled after) was much better the second season. In the meantime, we're barely halfway through so hopefully upcoming challenges will be more like this week's.
I watched it, kuan! This was my favorite episode thus far. I loved the quickfire challenge. I'd like to know what all 20 were. I guess the "mo budda" guy should be a ghee master! :) Yeah, the tuna was very ill-conceived. But the challenge was great, not so gimmicky as the previous ones. I also enjoyed seeing the participants outside of the competition mode--the junk food taste challenge was funny.
Not sure if this should be a separate topic ... but does anyone own the Oxo mandoline? I purchased it based on its affordability and top rating by Good Housekeeping. (Though I continue to salivate over the fancier Williams Sonoma models.) I've tried using it to slice both tomatoes and lemons, both unsuccessfully. The lemon seemed too tough for the blade, the tomatoes too soft. I'm fairly handy in the kitchen but this piece of equipment makes me feel like a moron. ...
Joseph, my husband and I are big fans and I'm glad to read your positive review. We've been making an annual escape from the Texas heat to the California wine country since 2000 and have dined at Bouchon numerous times. Your description of "polite informality" is spot-on. I've always found the servers to be unpretentious and pleasant while being very knowledgable about the menu and wine list. Details like the neatly folded parchment menu, velvet banquettes and...
mudbug, I feel that I must defend myself! I didn't consider anything I said to be "bashing". I specifically prefaced my comment (kuan asked for comments) regarding Katie Lee Joel by saying "not to be unkind", but I honestly think she is not right for that role. I have read her bio and I wasn't really impressed with her background, which, admittedly, is much more than I can say for myself--but I'm not hosting a culinary competition. (I'll concede, the Heidi Klum comment...
Finally, some people who watch this show! I knew I could count on ChefTalk. :) I agree with y'all, it's been disappointing. I don't mind (most of) the contestants, they're a diverse bunch with varying degrees of talent/experience (I'm certainly no expert, mind you) and I understand that the creators need different personalities who will potentially clash to create drama/controversy... but the challenges have been l-a-m-e. Observations 3 weeks in: Hostess Katie Lee...
Tzatsiki--of course! So simple, should've thought of it myself. Thanks a bunch! :)
Hi Mike. Actually not looking for a curry sauce, but a sauce that will complement a Chinese-style curried meat pie. Thanks!
Hi Jock. Unfortunately, I don't have the recipe. She'll send some home with us whenever we visit. I know she sautees the filling with soy sauce and shallots and makes the dough hersefl. It's a light flaky crust--similar to Chinese moon cakes if you've ever had those--but it's a little on the dry side.