or Connect

Posts by Coup-de-Feu

This is a great thread.  I look at tomatoes differently now.  What a bunch of awesomeness.   Here are peeled and hulled tomatoes, stuffed with acorn squash souflee.      
Have you ever had the chance to get scallops that are still alive in their shell?  The muscle is firm and small, about the size of a quarter.  A scallop shell never gets larger than your hand.  The muscle is a small part of it that opens and closes the shell.  My understanding is that during the processing and freezing of scallops they do something to the flesh to make it absorb lots of water.  Any time I see processed frozen scallops that are larger than a quarter and...
Get more ring molds, as many as will fit on a sheet pan.  If the recipe you use makes the potatoes soft enough that they can be piped then put them in a large piping bag to fill the molds quickly.   I know tots are meant to be cylinders, but maybe you could use a small ice cream scoop and put them directly onto baking paper as you make them.  Same thing just shaped differently.
Thanks for the tips,   CDF
Hello everyone,   I am going to order some pots and pans for my kitchen.  I am tired of cooking on warped aluminum.  I am looking for good stainless steel pots which have the heavy bottomed aluminum/copper sandwiched in stainless steel, but not all clad.  20" rondeau, 12" fait-tout, and some others.  Does anyone have a brand name for a good pot that will last, but not bust the budget?   Thanks,   CDF
I'm not 100% sure that's it.  From memory the sugar I am looking for was a bit lighter.  But I can't find any references to it anywhere.  Maybe it is Muscavado.     Thanks.
Hello yacht chefs,   What is the name of the brown sugar similar to turnado that you can only get in Bermuda?  What else would you get if you were there as far as fresh fish or novelty Bermudian produce?
Does any one else like Kiwi knifes?  They make a vegetable cleaver which cost between six and eight dollars and is indispensable in my knife kit.  I have not found a vegetable cleaver that I like more than this one.  Granted they have a rat-tail tang, really cheap handles, and no bolster so you end up with a chef callus the size of a pinto bean.  But they last years, always take an edge and are easy to maintain.  Kiwi also makes a knife that looks like a steak knife but...
  I treated it just like a steak:  Cut into ~ 6 oz portions. Marinade in milk over night.  Season s+p and leave it like that for about 10 minutes.  Pat dry and sear on flat top.  Repose, finish cooking and serve.   I've eaten whale 3 times, the only time it was (barely) palatable was when it was sliced paper thin and then smoked.
Yup.  Save the whales, then kick back and let everything else get poisoned and destroyed.  And if you bring up similar demerits within other food industries you can be sued to death via the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_libel_laws     What type of fish are sustainable and toxin free?  I feel like I should know more about this.  I only know talapia, trout, grouper (I think), and some salmon.