or Connect

Posts by Coup-de-Feu

Well then how do you hold them for service?  Seems to me as long as they don't get cold then the starch does not convert and the do not get gluey.  You can't cover them because then they get humid.  At the pub mentioned we held them in a low oven, but the OP already said they do not have an oven in their kitchen.     This picture is ham, cheese, and broccoli stuffed baked potatoes.  I prepped them with stuffing as I went along through service and topped them with...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXuou-6dvg
This sounds like a really great opportunity for a young chef to get experience.  Free rent would give a buffer zone till he/she figured out what works and what doesn't.  Get to learn the ins and outs of menu design, buying and sourcing, pricing, book keeping, management and everything else with out the pressure of paying 5K a month to the land lord right off the top.      Does this include a room to stay in?  Is there a possibility of bringing in clientele from out...
I worked in a pub that did almost what you are talking about.   Bake as many potatoes as you think you will need for the day.  Leave them on the counter - don't refrigerate them because that's what makes the texture gummy and slimy.   When someone orders one then you nuke it for a minute or so and top it with hot filling.  I think if you heat the filling and potato seperately and then combine them you get the best results.  So, keep the potatoes on the counter, and...
BTW it's not really that hard to temper chocolate in small batches.  The CIA book has a great and simple way to do it explained in their book.  You can also do a search on "annealing" to learn more about the process.
This is my favorite Caribbean cookbook:   http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/caribbean-cuisine-cookbook/   History, variations through the different islands, explanation of local ingredients and how to select them....
I don't know what "candy coating" is.  However there is this stuff called bakers chocolate where the fat in has been replaced with coconut fat or some other fat that is hard at room temp so it does not need to be tempered.   A chocolate ganache with butter in it will also be hard when it cools.
Hello,   Wow, I am pretty much speechless. I can just barely imagine 700 people hiking... looks like an army.     What about water?  What about washing up?  Will you assign plates and forks or use disposable?  Where does the trash go?  What is your energy source for cooking?  Not camp fires, not in the desert for 700!    You say cooking in a different location for every meal - as in 3 times a day for 700?  I don't think this is possible.  Don't do it.  Make...
I second the board or plexi glass.  You can get a nice pice of wood at a hardware store for not to much and it can also be put across the sink and get that much more counter space.
Hello,   The longest lasting lettuce seems to be romaine, especially if you get only the hearts.     Some more long lasting veggies are: Beets, turnips, parsnips, cabbage, celery root, and jicama, which can all be shredded to make into salad or slaw.  Broccoli, and cauliflower also last almost a month in the fridge.     Super long lasting greens are seaweed.  Like seaweed salad and norri.  That stuff seems to last forever.   When I am cooking for myself I...