or Connect

Posts by aric87

not that anyone wants to at this point in time, but the best thing you can do dgreen, is to go work for free. Find a place near you, tell them you want to learn, and on the busiest night of the week, find a place out of the way and observe, Watch how the cooks set up their stations, how they call tickets, how they plate, how they have their stations stocked. In the place I work, we have alot of overlap on slower nights. Watch how each cook covers the unmanned station....
It is definitely not something that you are going to get away from. A kitchen is super stressful at times, and people get loud. Not saying it is right, or that it should happen, but it does. You will find, that when people are yelling, they are either assholes, or they are trying to deal with the stress, and the yelling is not directed at you. I try very hard not to lose it on new guys, or people I havnt worked with. The guys I know, and who know me.... not a question,...
We have a company who sharpens ours. They provide the knives, and pick them up once a week, or every other in the last place I worked.  If you purchase, I would go with dexter russel. I have one in my personal kit. Cost $20, I beat the hell out of it, sharpen it and it's good. Holds an edge fairly well and the only place I've worked with a knife service used them. Abuse is an understatement. Using a french knife as a can opener, lobster cracker, and projectile weapon...
My chef gets a three part bonus. 1/3 for food cost under a 32%, he gets 1/3 for labor under a certain %, and 1/3 for sales over a certain %. The three parts are not connected, so if he doesnt hit one, the others are still available if he makes those goals. I'm not sure what the frequency is. The sales % has gotten him very active in trying to create various events and catering, and pushing ideas for bringing in revenue, although it is ultimately the GM who is responsible...
That could work. We use a mashed potato and leek cake that gets seared as a starch on the menu already. I like the idea. Trying to find the meat, corn, potato... so with a fried potato cake, how would you change the corn? 
Havn't tried yet. I'm wondering I it will just absorb the grease? I will let ya know what happens when I do try.
I am trying to figure out a way to reconstruct shepherds pie. I was thinking of frying some mashed potato coated in popcorn instead of panko or flour. Has anyone ever tried using popcorn as a coating for fried food? 
Learn the menu. Get a copy and write notes on it and take it home and study! There should be no reason for the chef or sous to have to tell you the same thing a million times. Once you are shown, and take notes, you should be able to walk yourself through each dish with your notes. Do this at home, repeatedly and you will have a very easy time on your next shift. this will allow you to memorize the menu faster. 
If you have never been in a professional kitchen I would seriously recommend you go to the nearest busy restaurant and ask if you can watch a dinner service before you spend the money on culinary school. Working in a kitchen can be very fun and rewarding, however you have to remember... you are starting at the bottom, so there will be many dishes, and everything needs to be done right now, or five minutes ago. There are no future deadlines. Fast paced, busy kitchens can...