or Connect

Posts by aric87

If I could add one more thing, find a really good system of organizing your space. If you know exactly where everything is, which temps are where on the grill mainly, it will make it easier. I find that when someone touches things or I walk away to get something and someone else covers and adds something out of place I can tell just because it's not where it belongs. This really helps when you get nailed because you dont have to think about where things are, or go....
I would recommend on writing your business plan for less than you think. Keep in mind, you are going to have a push when you open, then business may change a little. Employees are inevitably going to change rapidly until you find the one's you want, and who are going to stay. I'm not sure where you live, but if your paying your waitstaff 5 plus tips and your cooks 10 with no tips, you aren't going to keep much talent in your kitchen. I would recommend you start at 10,...
First thing is to be more concerned with maintaining the chef's vision on the menu and not worry so much about getting your influence. The role of sous is to carry out the chef's tasks. Remember that and you'll get your influence in when it comes time. Other things, try to know what you have allllllll the time. If the chef asks how many oranges are left, you should do your best to know. If you have alot of product, try to get your chef de parties to know so you can ask...
get a prepaid debit card from walmart. probably better than used pants
I would say your best bet is to go there, as a phone call is rather informal, and go during off hours. I would say between 2 and 4 during the week would be best. Sat maybe, but def not sunday. I find that sun is usually rather taxing all day in the kitchen. As Chef said, just be honest. Tell the chef that you are looking for an apprenticeship. Don't tell him you need one and are desperate, but tell him you are looking. Try to go somewhere you think will benefit your...
There are generally a few major differences between corporate and privately owned. In a corporate rest. alot of things are premade i.e soups made from mix and things like that. Most private places are scratch kitchens so there will be more prep but you'll actually learn something. In a corporate place the management isn't always the best. Private, if you suck you get fired because your losing the company money. This means you'll generally have better management. The same...
When the wait staff is being unruly, I always like to remind myself that if they had any skills in life, they would not be making 2 bucks an hour and have to rely on charm to get paid. Even models get paid more.... so that tells ya something. Oh, and not to mention that if they aren't even picking on you in english, that is incredibly rude. Try learning some words in another language, doesn't even have to be an insult. You could say, I really love cooking eggs, but they...
hahahahahaha that was hilarious! I hope that was the dishwasher, it would make it that much more insulting .
label everything! But I use a roll, a pretty large one, but it works pretty well for me. I havn't started school but I am pretty territorial over my knives at work, so make sure you pick up that habit.
try posting in the proffesional forums on this site. They are very helpful. Of course there's no reason why you could take both. The school I'm going to will let you get an associates in culinary arts and a gen ed associates and you can learn both.