or Connect

Posts by aric87

Your best bet is to find someplace looking for a prep cook or fry cook. Both are easy to learn. Keep in mind, many places aren't always looking for experience. I wouldn't mind training someone on everything if they show up clean, on time, and learn quickly. Those traits are always good. And like everyone else said, if you find a job doing bi**h work and get to learn the biz it's worth it. I actually just brought in a kid to my kitchen with no experience to work the 2nd...
i would say it could either make or break your relationship. If you work well together, then great. But your both going to avoid say things to make each other angry and you'll harbor that until you do fight. I would say just keep it honest. As far as staffing goes, your estimate sounds correct. keep in mind that you could always utilize some personnel as duel purpose. I have cooks that wash dishes and only have a dishwasher on friday and sat. the rest of the week the...
pastry is much more art than cooking. you'll learn artisan breads, then you'll make all kinds of crazy cakes, make sugar sculptures, and do alot of design type work. Culinary you will learn techniques for cooking sauces, soups, and how to mix flavors. If you are more interested in the flavor mixing, then take culinary. If you are more interested in making mickey mouse out of 2000 types of sugar and putting him on a dead dough shaped like antartica, then take pastry. ( in...
thank you chef, being that im an emt i have a pretty good idea of the definition of a third degree burn. A more simple definition is any burn that blisters should be considered a third degree burn, as the only way for the skin to create the pus filled blister is to burn into the cappilary layers, which are obly found in the subcutaneous tissue.  And i would have agreed with the your statements, however I notified the manager that I was leaving and he agreed that it was...
another way you could divide your grill is by temp. All the rare on the left, then as you go right, have the proteins in rows according to doneness. This will help you know how done each should be without having to remember or read the slip a bunch of times. As far as the slips go, pick a direction and stick to it. Either sell right to left, or left to right, and always put your tickets up that way. If you have a ticket come in that you can send out faster, do it....
This sort of presents an issue for you because it's new york, but try this. Find a type of cuisine you feel as though you will want to pursue after school and go have a heart to heart with the owner or head chef. If you can find a smaller place you'd be better off simply because the slower kitchen will present more time for you to learn, or a really busy kitchen with many employees which would allow the same. Either way, offer to do some work in exchange for the...
If you enjoy the work, the cooking, the art of plating, then stick to it. I left the kitchen for 6 years and now I'm going to school for culinary and working in the kitchen again. People say that you are born to do what you do. Most people find something they love and stick to it. Like everyone said, sometimes the people you work for and with aren't that great. They should be encourageing you more since your new to the industry. I wouldn't give up just yet. Try telling...
The kitchen I started in used to do chowder and bisque and they did alot of pouring and mixing at floor level. They always put the pot on a bread tray or sheet pan to keep it off the floor, and cardboard under it to catch the spill. Of course, they were making five gallon pots of chowder base, so there is really no way they could have done it any other way, but they kept it off the actual floor. Being that I have never taken a sanitation class (yet), can someone verify...
I worked in a kitchen that tracked waste and produced a monthly sheet and posted it up for the employees to read. Each time it had a goal to be met for the next month, and whether we met the goal that had been set. It also showed the top ten waste items, and what the collective staff needed to do to bring down the waste amount. Generally it involved portion control. Another option might be, as many have said already, to prep less. If your worried about running out, then...
I thinks it's pretty funny Ramsey isn't the bad guy of the show this time.