or Connect

Posts by aric87

what are the differences between macgourmet and mastercook? i have a mac and a pc, but id rather use the mac. Any help please?
Cooking is alot of work, but if you genuinely enjoy it, persue it. Try watching a dinner service in a local kitchen and see if you can picture yourself working there. As far as schooling goes, try a local community college program. They tend to be smaller classes with some very intelligent chef's for a decent price. 
i got a nice set for school from a local restaurant supply company, but I have always used dexter russel knives in the two places I've worked. They seem pretty good and they are inexpensive. My suggestion... go to a local place and touch the knives.... a name is nothing if it doesn't feel right in your hand. 
86- ran out  waste it- throw it out !@#$%^&*()- what you say when the wait staff screws up comin down- when your walking past multiple people on line and you don't wanna say behind a million times
Bring everything you would need to work. Bring your baking tools, knifes, wear a full uniform, and be completely ready to jump in and work. Come chefs expect that they can give you a prep list and you knock it out, some just want you to watch their operation and maybe throw together a dish. I would say expect to work your but off, but it may be a little less. Also, bring a notepad to write down questions about the job and operations of the particular kitchen, and have a...
Big thing to consider... Being a Chef is all well and good, but getting there is a B****. I've been a line cook for over 6years. It's hot, sweaty, and you bust your butt for unappreciative crap bags until someone realizes you have a clue, and then maybe you get somewhere. Loving food is awesome... understanding it is great, going to school is wonderful..... But if you don't like back breaking work day in and out then it's not a good idea. And don't start at management....
What part of MA? I think a good Sous will look at what stresses you the most, and take that stress down a notch. They will be, like chefross said, as close to you as your spouse. Your sous should be able to do your inventory for you, manage the training of your other staff, and step in and run the kitchen when your out. Oh, and if you need a sous, I could use a good chef to learn from....
So, I've been working in a kitchen for 7 years, and I am going to start culinary school in the fall..... I'm debating whether I should even put that on my app when I graduate lol
So, a good chef/ Sous chef won't let you fail.... Your learning... Here's the answer to your question. Do you look at yourself at the end of the day and believe that this is a business you want to excel in? That is the answer to whether it's for you. Once you commit yourself to learning the trade, you will see your mistakes differently... as learning points. Focus on what you do right, and why you think you didn't do it right every time. I generally find that two things...
Find a place you like to eat that is hiring, and show them your stuff. Build a rep as a civilian. I've learned that the only way people think you can cook, is to cook. I'm sure your military cooking was mostly high volume? Try to stay away from corporate restaurants, they tend to be dumbed down for non cooks and you will get bored quickly if you know what your doing. Good luck and thanks for feeding us troops!