or Connect

Posts by tylerm713

I've experimented with that too. My Le Creuset definitely does the best job, but other pans will certainly work. I've even used a sheet pan on the grill. Definitely not the best method, but it works.
I have a relative that has a vacation home in the northern part of the Bahamas. Their cook makes amazing conch fritters and poached lobster legs (better than crab legs).
Caramelized onions = onions + butter + salt + cast iron pot + 45-60 minutes   No alternatives (except maybe olive oil instead of butter)
Conch fritters are phenomenal.  Just did a google search and looks like conch are heavily protected in Hawaii.
  Over the past few years, we've harvested a good number of elk from this same herd in the same area of Colorado. The area is in the mountains of central Colorado, and there really is no sage brush in the area to speak of. My bet is that sage consumption would have been little to none.   Shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to shoot for medium-rare with a long rest to try to reduce the bloodiness.     I have used buttermilk or milk with deer, especially when frying. I'm...
  Sous-vide is an interesting idea. However, I'm hoping to leave the tenderloin whole for presentation, and I don't have the tools to cook a 24 inch cut sous-vide.
Heavy cast iron pot (7.5 qt Le Creuset bouillabaisse to be exact), butter, very thinly sliced onions, salt, low heat, and lots of time. There is no way to rush a good french onion soup.
For Thanksgiving, we're thinking about doing something a little different than the typical turkey or ham. Thanks to my father having a successful hunting trip in Colorado this fall, I now have in my possession a large portion of perfectly trimmed elk tenderloin, measuring about 2 1/2 inches thick, 4 inches wide, and 24 inches long (give or take). The problem I'm having is making a decision as to how I should prepare it. The options are almost endless: marinated, dry...
However you decide to prepare your shrimp, do yourself a favor and buy local when at all possible. Not only will you get a better product, but you're helping your local economy. When at the fish counter here in Texas or back in Louisiana, I cringe any time I see someone purchasing foreign product. It goes without saying that quality ingredients make quality food. This is even more true when it comes to seafood. Spend the extra money for the best shrimp you can buy. This...
If you get a non-stick pan, and I think every kitchen should have at least one, make sure it's anodized, not coated. I agree with foodpump that a set is not necessary. I bought a set a few years ago, and now only use the large saucepot from the set. I have replaced the fry pans with other s/s or aluminum pans. To be fair, however, I do the majority of my cooking in cast iron.