or Connect

Posts by tylerm713

It totally depends on what you're looking for. If you're planning a trip to SA, shoot me a PM, and I can definitely help with some recommendations. I've been here for about 2 years now and had a chance to try most of the local favorites as well as the fine dining establishments.  

Here in San Antonio, there isn't much debate as to which restaurant has the best burger. Hands down, the designation goes to Chris Madrid's. It's a funky little hole-in-the-wall (as most great burger places are).     They don't have gourmet toppings; you won't find arugula or Emmentaler here. It's all about the delicious patties and the toppings that compliment it, not hide it. The meat is well seasoned and are really thin. When they are grilled, they develop a...
Creme brulee is perhaps my favorite dessert, so obviously I would say it's the best use for yolks. There are tons of variations out there, but the recipe I prefer calls for a quart of heavy cream, a half cup of sugar, 7-8 yolks, and a couple of vanilla beans (or extract if you must). Bake for 45-50 minutes or until just set, sprinkle with sugar (I'll not get into a debate as to which kind of sugar works best; you can use nearly anything with good results), then torch it....
Call it what you want, it looks like a pretty solid dish to me. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of bacon in shrimp and grits. Get's a bit overpowering. The recipe I always use is pretty similar with the addition of white wine and a touch of cream in the sauce.
Perhaps it's personal preference, but we'll have to agree to disagree re: marinating the tuna. I like it in this application as it seems to tie the dish together.
"Al dente" would lead me to believe that the restaurant is chiefly a pasta restaurant. If that's not the case, you may want to rethink that one. "Gourmet Express" sounds like something you would get at an airport when you're in a hurry. Personally, I think the use of "gourmet" in the name of a restaurant is a bit conceited as well.
I watched the second half of this past season. It wasn't the worst cooking show I've seen, but far from the best. I'm not really a fan of Graham Elliot or Joe Bastianich (at least on the show).
I was referring to the dish described above. In general, I'm also a big proponent of chili flakes. I also love Louisiana style hot sauces, but don't feel like Tabasco or Crystal is appropriate for delicate seared tuna. 
In the last month and a half, it's hit triple digits every day save one. Highest temperature recorded has been 106*. And there hasn't been any rain to speak of since June. Terrible summer.