or Connect

Posts by tylerm713

I'm late to the party, but KY is correct that roasting would essentially ruin the wild duck breast. Essentially, you just want to develop a crust on the outside of the breast to develop some flavor and structure in the breast. A few minutes in a hot skillet will do the trick. Be sure to season liberally with salt and pepper before browning.
Manchego is a great recommendation. I'm also a fan of something called reggianito, which is basically parmesan cheese made in Argentina. If you wanted something that will melt better, go for gruyere, which is perhaps my favorite cheese on earth. However, I think melted cheese in the risotto might make it gooey.  
Let me clarify my comments a bit, lest I appear ignorant about integrated grills. There's little difference to speak of in performance between a gas grill indoors and a gas grill outdoors. My only point was that if you already have a good outdoor grill, go for the flat top, because of its versatility. However, if you don't have a good grill, or live in an area where an outdoor grill is unusuable for several months of the year due to cold, then you might consider the...
If it's a really thick steak, I'll salt & pepper the edges. Most other things, I just liberally season top and bottom. I've never had complaints of underseasoned proteins.
As long as you stir the sour cream in when it's off the heat, or the heat is reduced, you should be fine. As far as parmesan substitutes, is there a reason you don't want to use parmesan? Or are you interested in something else for the sake of it being different?
Couple of things. First, I don't recommend trying to blacken anything indoors, unless you need to check your smoke detectors for effectiveness. Second, I've tried blackening on a grill, but it doesn't work the same. The fish (or whatever other protein) needs to be in full contact with the pan. That's what creates that beautiful crust. Third, the best way that I've found to blacken fish is to dip in melted butter, coat with blackening seasoning, place in screaming hot pan...
Here are a few shots from my last duck hunt.     Sunset over Catahoula Lake.     Just a few short of three limits.     During the split, we took this picture while doing some repair to one of our blinds.   Sorry if these aren't really food related. FWIW, the ducks made a fantastic stew.
I'm not making a sweeping generalization here, but most of the hotel restaurants that I've tried have been rather underwhelming. Not sure if there's a correllation there.
I think the main exception to the rule arises with fortified wines. I prefer tawny or late bottled vintage port, but typically cook with ruby port because a) it's cheaper and b) the soft and complex flavors of tawny port are usually lost when cooked, unless you use a lot, which brings in the issue of cost (see reason a).   With wine, this can be true to an extent. Some people don't care for particular varietals, appellations, or vintners, but those wines can still be...
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. The most important dishes to my family around Thanksgiving and Christmas are seafood gumbo, duck gumbo, seafood casserole (we call it Blend of the Bayou), and cornbread dressing. Only one of those dishes would be considered "festive", but that's what my family eats, and that's what is traditional to us. If a family has a tradition of lasagna or chili, then more power to them. Holidays should be about enjoying what you...