or Connect

Posts by tylerm713

KY, a couple of things. First, you are correct that chemicals used to grow corn, for instance, don't come free, and therefore represent an additional cost to the grower. However, if it were that simple, why would chemicals be used at all? It's because those chemicals allow the grower to produce a higher yield, and therefore spread out fixed costs over more products. For example, let's say a farmer can produce 50 units of a crop on 1 acre, the units cost $1.00 in variable...
I just wish there was a legitimate, long term study about the true effects of organic vs. non-organic. As of now, I haven't seen anything that would make me want to pay $3/lb for white onions.
Authenticity is way overrated. At what point in history do we go back and say "That's when authentic food started"? If that's the case, then unseasoned meat on a stick over a fire is the most authentic food.   The only time the "authentic" moniker is acceptable, in my mind, is when talking about a very specific dish. For example, bananas sauteed in butter, brown sugar, and rum, served over vanilla ice cream is "authentic" bananas foster. Making the same dish with...
KY, I would take it a step further and say that some of the most talented chefs in the country (and even in the world) are relatively unknown to all but the most hardcore of foodies.  For example, I was having a conversation with friends at dinner three nights ago and mentioned Jose Andres, and his influence on the use of small plates at American restaurants. All of the people I was talking to love to cook, but none of them had ever heard of him. We talked a while longer...
I always thought the same thing about her (Guarneschelli). However, I saw an episode of Best Thing I Ever Ate, where she cooked something for her staff at Butter, and I was impressed with the way she interacted with the camera and the food that she prepared. I don't care for her show, and can't really stand her on Chopped.
That reminds me of when I was a kid, but we would add tabasco to the oil. It made the most amazing popcorn.
Two other notable female chefs that come to mind are Alex Guarnaschelli and Amanda Freitag.
One of my favorite restaurants in New Orleans, Bayona, was started and is run by a very talented (and James Beard Award winning) female chef, Susan Spicer. She also has a very good cookbook called "Cresent City Cooking."
My fiance and I had our first experience at Lüke on the Riverwalk in downtown San Antonio last night. I thought I would share my thoughts on this new John Besh venture.   Atmosphere:   Lüke is set on the Riverwalk in downtown San Antonio as a part of the Embassy Hotel. It has an old school brasserie feel, complete with belt and pulley ceiling fans. The restaurant features a beautiful bar that was very well stocked. It's very difficult to make a new restaurant...
He is, and rightfully so. As someone mentioned earlier, he is one of the top 2 or 3 chefs in America right now.