or Connect

Posts by tylerm713

Since we're on the subject of regional accents, here's something that bothers me (but isn't food related). I don't like when people assume that since I'm from Louisiana, I talk like someone from "don da bah-o" ("down the bayou" - translation: South Louisiana). Or when you have a character in a movie from Louisiana or somewhere else in the deep South, and they are protrayed with a Charleston drawl. No one west of Georgia sounds like that. But I guess it's been...
First thought is wrong ratio of flour to fat, but it would probably be easier to tell if you posted your recipe.
My most used is probably a spice grinder, then stand mixer, then stick blender.
No idea if this helps, but I watched the first episode of Gordon Ramsey's Best Restaurant, and the winning restaurant (for that episode) was an Italian restaurant run by two brothers that did a lot of interesting things with liquid nitrogen. They aren't celebrity chefs, but a celebrity chef said they were the best Italian restaurant in England (for what that's worth).
  I once had a marketing professor that liked to say that "A celebrity is someone who is well-known for their well-knownness." Meaning, it doesn't matter what makes someone a celebrity, as long as they are known as one.   For example, Bobby Flay became famous for TV, with Iron Chef, Iron Chef America, and his litany of shows. On the other hand, much of Wolfgang Puck's fame came originally from the popularity of Spago and his ability to schmooze with LA elite. Later came...
The pecan is native to the South and Midwest, and the scientific name for it (Carya illinoinensis) evidences the fact that some still call them Illinois nuts.   And KY, pralines and brittle are definitely not the same thing. At all.
Most recipes I've seen say to peel the skin. However, they also call for the puree to be passed through a chinois, so I would think it wouldn't hurt to leave the skin on. Worth experimenting with...
  I read a blog post from a food writer a while back about attending a taping of ICA. He said that there are several takes of the chairman's introductions, but when the cooking starts, Alton Brown talks from start to finish. He said is was just as impressive as the cooking. Whether or not it's true, I don't know. But the fact is, the man knows his food.
From my perspective, one of two things is happening.   1) You don't interview as well as you think you do. 2) You're being discriminated against.   Unfortunate situation, either way. However, I've seen plenty of minorities in the kitchen. In fact, the kitchens of most restaurants in big cities are dominated by minorities. My suggestion is don't give up. An opportunity will eventually present itself.   Good luck.
Glad it worked out well. Lamb really is a great protein to work with. One of my favorites.