or Connect

Posts by chefbilly

as a chef / owner, honestly to say  -those cooks that are just starting out / entering a new  enviroment really need to embrace where they are and rise to the challange - we have a policy here, that is "never start a new staff on the weekend"... almost always, they see how crazy it is and quit...   One thing for sure is you need to fit into where you are, not he other way around, but if it does not work for you, then don't stay,  its just not worth the...
a short story about potatoes:   some time ago, i was going over the purchasing reports for the previous weeks and our potato purchase jumped out at me - in 2 weeks we purchased nearly 800lbs of potatoes - well, at approx 3 potatoes to the pound thats about 2400 potatoes, considering we only do about 500 pax per week, I'm thinking what's up with that !   It turns out that a new prep cook was doing a really extra special job at pealing them... so good in fact that...
try to build a god range of experiances - fro sure work where you can learn the most - GO TO FRANCE, globally it is still very very revelent   Work around the world - if you want to learn about chinese food, go to china -   cheers 
as an owner, I love to help folks realize their dreams and asperations but at the same time - why should i lose a good bookeeper and have to retrain a new staff - training a new employee costs a lot and takes time   honestly it was you whom wanted to move, you should help in the payroll as either overseeing it, doing it part time ect . perhaps you can work one or two less shifts in the kitchen and still have the time and ability to preform your previous tasks...
Review - Henkel *** can’t remember which one - the I.D. has long been worn off....     The other day while coaching  a cook for one of those myriad of things that can go wrong at any given time - I looked at him and said,  “my knife has more experience than you...”   It dawned on me that I have had that Heinkel since my mother gave it to me before going to culinary school, some 30 years ago - the blade has held through numerous sharpening’s, the point has been...