or Connect

Posts by Mike Benninger

Make your life easy and buy a brand name 6-8 piece from Costco, it will likely cost you about $200.00. Properly maintained (meaning hand washing, no dishwasher use), and sharpened correctly, (meaning throw away the steel and buy a proper sharpener) it should last you for a decade at least, by then you will find other individual knives that you prefer that suit your individual needs.
Aussie Aussie Aussie...Oy Oy Oy...is that great place on the water in Hobart still selling Gummy shark as Flake and Chips??? I loved that place....
I got an EdgeCare from my guy to try out, and I will admit its kinda cool, but I'll stay with my CC, I prefer it, different strokes i guess.
BDL and I agree, there are literally 100 companies that make knives in hundreds of different sizes and shapes, no one bit of advice will suit everyone, and more to the point, it's your hands they will be in.   Go to a store you trust, buy a new cutting board there, buy a few potatoes, and try a bunch out...always remember, it's just a knife...
This bald guy likes to make tartar first, then grind up whatever is left to add to burgers or quesidillas, super high %age yield
I've bought many things from ebay and have had no problems, obviously a few < edited > get through their controls. Tell everyone abotu this !!   Mod note:  Heated languge removed.
Yo Strummin365...you have one question to answer....do I want the risk or not???   I started over and changed careers at 40, but with a working wife, cash reserves, her full benefits, and a chance to go back to my former life if I sucked and failed...not sure if you have that to fall back on.   Doing what you do now blows, but its steady money, regular schedule, benefits and something you are good at. Your upside where you are may be limited, but going to work at...
So I used a bit of everyone's ideas, I did a 30 hour fridge cure of thyme, garlic, kosher salt, bay leaves and small bit of rosemary, then slow roasted today at 220F for 6 hours (see attached photo) and refridgerated.       Will cook tomorrow to crisp, planning to start with arugula salad with raspberry balsamic dressing, then serve with whipped garlic mash and green beans... 
MichaelGA, there is likely 2000 years of experience here, lots of good ideas...
Hey FoodCamp, sadly it sounds like you have plowed this field before, sadly, most reading here likley have...   I can only speak from my Ontario experience, and mine is honestly very limited, I have had very a issues in my time, then I went private so i only hire casually or from an outside agency.   I have several friends who own real places, ($5M+ in sales), so I use them as my Ontario example. One of them (I was just there as temp staff for a few shifts to...