or Connect

Posts by Slayertplsko

This wine is probably unknown to you, so I'll try to describe it. Medium sweet, light red, very fruity (intense wild strawberries and overripe red grapes), drunk young. Any food pairing ideas? I was thinking maybe duck, but wouldn't it be too sweet?  
If I can get small aubergines, I'll make some Imam bayildi (misspelled, I know). Basically it's just small aubergines stuffed with onions, garlic, tomatoes and parsley, but it's absolutely stunning. It's one of those dishes that teaches you a great deal about what good cooking really means - taking a few high-quality seasonal ingredients and combining them in such a way, that if you add or subtract an ingredient, it's no longer perfect food. Next to pasta alla norma, it's...
Dear friends, it's early June and I've got some freshly picked, young and tender grape leaves - and quite a lot! Last year I made some, too, using a recipe from a Turkish site that had scallions, mint, parsley (or dill?), rice, bulgur, tomatoes and red pepper paste in the stuffing and I really liked it (although I did manage to commit a slight lemon juice overkill). I will no doubt make these again, but I want to try some other ideas, too. I've heard an aubergine stuffing...
Pork chops with whiskey-and-garlic jus, fried potatoes with persillade   So pork chops are obvious (you can use lard or some neutral oil, I used rice bran oil). A small piece of butter is then added to the dripping along with sliced (not chopped!) garlic and quite a lot of it. This is sautéed a couple of moments and then a small splash of good-quality red wine vinegar is added and as soon as this reduces (which is almost instantly), a small glass of scotch whiskey is...
It depends on the bread. The idea behind all these Czech dumplings is to use some sort of white bakery product like kaiser or other rolls, buns, little baguettes. Anything made only from flour, water, yeast, salt and perhaps some kind of fat and with a thin crust will do. If the bread has too thick a crust, more milk might be necessary to soften it. Or you could remove the crust, but then you would lose on that roasted flavour of the crust, which I think is essential here....
Today a simple classic again. France meets Bohemia. So I'll provide a bilingual name.     Lapin à la moutarde, boulette à la mode karlsbadienne Králik na hořčici, karlovarský knedlík     First, a simple dish of rabbit with mustard. Divide the rabbit into about eight pieces. Smear the rabbit pieces with Dijon-style mustard and season them with salt and pepper. Melt some butter in a pot that is large enough to contain all the rabbit pieces, add the rabbit pieces and...
  If you posted the menu in its original language, too (which I presume to be Polish), it might help.
Among my favourites off the top of my head (some already mentioned by others):   Olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, tomato sauce with lentils and parmesan.   Olive oil, garlic, anchovies, spinach, lemon zest, lemon juice, black pepper and parmesan.   Olive oil, garlic, peeled sweet red and yellow peppers (slowly fried for 15 minutes), basil, parmesan.   Olive oil, onion, cherry tomatoes, fava beans, greens (like chard or rapini), pecorino.   Olive oil, garlic,...
Thanks, Chris. Yours is really lovely, too, here. What exactly is blond beer? I know you have blond beer (bière blonde) and white beer (bière blanche), apart from dark beers that is, but what is the difference in terms of flavour and the way it contributes to a dish if added during the cooking? I will certainly try it if I can still lay my hands on some morels.
Duck breasts with redcurrant sauce, potato and celery root puree, rocket and apple salad   Duck breasts were cooked to about medium, the sauce is a really simple reduction (shallots, garlic and rosemary sautéed in duck dripping, red wine vinegar, redcurrant jelly, red wine, butter), the puree should be well seasoned with cream liberally mixed in, the salad is sprinkled with walnut oil, lemon juice and walnut pieces. Simple but always a hit.