or Connect

Posts by Slayertplsko

IDEA ONE Székelygulyás (pork and sauerkraut stew)   This is a traditional Hungarian dish and amazingly delicious. You'll need: Fatty pork (traditionally a combination of shoulder and belly), onions, garlic, lard, sweet Hungarian paprika, sauerkraut, crushed caraway, soured cream, flour. Saute about a pound of meat cut into cubes in lard, remove and reserve. Saute chopped onions (1/2 lbs). Saute a few chopped cloves of garlic. Add a tablespoon of paprika and saute for...
The reason I'm asking is a bit different, though.   You see, there aren't many Turkish cookbooks in English (or in French or in German for that matter) and mainly, there are very few GOOD Turkish cookbooks. But even those very few great books don't go very deep and simply don't and cannot cover the whole richness of Turkish cuisine. You don't see cookbooks about the cuisine of certain regions only, like you see for Italian, French or Spanish cuisines (Naples at Table,...
I'm interested in Turkish cuisine. So do we have any Turkish members?
This is the way I do it. I've based my recipe on Jacques Médecin's. By the way, if you read French, do get his book La cuisine du Comté de Nice. Amazing stuff. Actually, I think there is an English translation, too, although I don't know how good it is and if it's the whole book (sometimes it's really worth getting the original if possible as translations can be abridged).   1, Equal quantities of small aubergines, small courgettes, onions and green peppers (not bell...
THIS is the attitude I like (and share). :D
Thanks for your replies, guys.   I don't worry about customs. The over-zealousness of US customs officers is legendary all over the world, however, I'm from Slovakia and it's not a big deal here. On the other hand, we don't have good spice vendors. Those that do exist have pretty much the same stuff I can buy in a supermarket plus a few exotic spices.   I think I should concentrate on different kinds of Turkish pepper and paprika and maybe some kekik and mint. Maybe...
Hi all, long time no see.   I'm looking for some advice on what to buy at the Istanbul spice market. I'm certainly thinking some red pepper, mint, oregano and other herbs, maybe cumin....what else? What can you actually buy there?   Thanks.
This wine is probably unknown to you, so I'll try to describe it. Medium sweet, light red, very fruity (intense wild strawberries and overripe red grapes), drunk young. Any food pairing ideas? I was thinking maybe duck, but wouldn't it be too sweet?  
If I can get small aubergines, I'll make some Imam bayildi (misspelled, I know). Basically it's just small aubergines stuffed with onions, garlic, tomatoes and parsley, but it's absolutely stunning. It's one of those dishes that teaches you a great deal about what good cooking really means - taking a few high-quality seasonal ingredients and combining them in such a way, that if you add or subtract an ingredient, it's no longer perfect food. Next to pasta alla norma, it's...
Dear friends, it's early June and I've got some freshly picked, young and tender grape leaves - and quite a lot! Last year I made some, too, using a recipe from a Turkish site that had scallions, mint, parsley (or dill?), rice, bulgur, tomatoes and red pepper paste in the stuffing and I really liked it (although I did manage to commit a slight lemon juice overkill). I will no doubt make these again, but I want to try some other ideas, too. I've heard an aubergine stuffing...