or Connect

Posts by gobblygook

I'm excited about induction cooktops, especially in a restaurant where the energy savings would be more readily observed.  However, my concern is that they will be EXTREMELY slow to catch on in commercial kitchens because cooks have been taught to swirl and shake the pans and with a glass/ceramic cooktop, I see nothing but problems in that regard.   However, the idea of setting a TEMP on a burner and having it be reasonably accurate is extremely exciting.  It seems...
  I've never done it.  When I've seen it done, usually some of the white is separated from the main mass, ending up with less than a full egg.  The way poached eggs are discussed on TV, they are supposed to be very difficult to do properly.  Again, I've never done one, but I figure my first one would look pretty bad.   
I obviously failed to add the link or proofread my post.  The DVD I'm referring to is one from CIA. 
Brining is a technique or a tool for your arsenal.  By itself, it's not going to give you anything other than salty raw meat.  Brining does not make the cooking foolproof. While I appreciate a good potshot at a celebrity cook, his "ice ducks" demo was just that, a demo.
Alton Brown did a show about the different methods of defrosting.  It was quite enlightening.  He took a bunch of ice molds of ducks (if memory serves).  Put one in a hot oven, one in hot water, one in cold water, and one under running water (and a few others, I'm sure).  The fastest method of defrosting was putting in cold water and having a fast drip from the faucet.  The additional water coming in created movement, which helped warmer water come in contact with the...
  I'm thinking BDL should come cook it for you :).    Remember that (in theory), you only propose once and she only gets proposed to once.  Do you want that experience to be her biting into a ring cooked into her dessert?  IMHO, take her out for a memorable evening, and propose privately in a romantic setting (a park, for instance).  Heck, throw an engagement party (well, a party, no one can know it's for an engagement) and propose in front of her friends.  BDL caters,...
Here's my opinion both from the customer, server, and owner's perspective.  SEND IT BACK!   If the food isn't cooked correctly, send it back.  This doesn't mean that you get a free meal just because you found something wrong.  Abuses are too great in restaurants that certain customers will try to find a reason to send the food back to get it comped.  The manager should determine what comp is given, if any.  I'm not saying comp'ing food is wrong, just not...
The issue comes down to general stupidity of the industry.  Servers can be paid lower than minimum wage BECAUSE tipping is "expected".  The issue started because people started tipping.  The businesses decided that tips should be considered "wages" and the government agreed, allowing for servers to be paid less than minimum wage.    Then there's the argument of people not tipping if the tip is part of the cost of the meal and servers not "working for the tip" and...
Note:  I don't recommend these, as I've not taken any of them.  However, I got a copy of the culinary boot camp DVD that they sell (and I found a site via Google that you can rent it for about $25), and I enjoyed it.  I actually found myself wishing I'd gotten in on some of the lectures as the dvd has the demos and references the lecture portion.  The chefs in the DVD aren't "food network" quality (not the most camera-ready), but it discusses lots of techniques. The cost...
Yes, I should just go try it, but right now, stuck in front of a computer, so I thought I'd lean on the vast experience here.   I've watched videos of how to properly poach an egg, but I keep wondering if my "lightbulb" thought might work.  The idea would be to use a metal ladle, break the egg into the ladle, then push the ladle into the water so that water can almost get in.  Allow the egg to set somewhat in a coagulated state (so the egg doesn't fall apart in the...