or Connect

Posts by Sara57

here's the link, I apologize it is for "Assistant Chef" not "Sous Chef," but I'm assuming it's the same. http://www.sunysccc.edu/academic/courses/programs/prog31.html   Also, I noticed you were a personal chef, how did you get into that line of work? I would love to get into that line of work, and am interested in learning how. Have you heard of the culinstas?
wow, I can't believe it's been almost 3 years since I posted this... To sum it up, I ended up getting pushed out from that restaurant about 6 months later (I was there exactly one year), bounced around A LOT, then was asked to come back August 2012. The business was suffering and I agreed to come back and help out. But they didn't want help, and they didn't know what they wanted, and before they could take advantage of me, I left in October for "greener pastures." My...
The culinary school I went to offers a certificate program for Sous Chef, it's just a few classes, and the school doesn't discriminate against GED's, they even offer GED programs. It's all the way in Upstate NY though, so I'm not sure if you're willing to relocate. Also, school isn't a necessity in this field, you can learn on the job, but you have to be willing, which sounds like you are.    I feel you dude about your work experience... 2011 was the worst year for...
Thanks everyone for the insightful advice! Oldschool, you pointed out a few things that made a lot of sense to me. I've been looking for greener pastures, and passed up a few. A few things are changing at work, my mean sous chef is giving sign of leaving, a new sous chef has been training for a while at our other restaurant and has just transferred to ours, and our restaurant owner is coming back to the store for a few weeks. I feel this is a sign of good things to come,...
I've been in the food service industry for about 7 years now, and I'm still a line cook in the entry level position. I have about 5 years culinary experience, and 2 years front of house experience, and I'm currently in my third semester for Culinary Arts and Hotel & Restaurant Management. The restaurant I'm at now I've been at for 6 months. Before that, I was at a steakhouse for over a year.    I'd like to know what I can do to be bumped off of pantry and move up to...
My brother went to CIA in Hyde Park NY and he said if you don't want a social life just go there. It's a very heavy curriculum and they are really strict. Also, I heard that branch lost their accreditation. I go to a community college right now for both Culinary Arts and Restaurant and Hotel MGMT and I still have a social life and time for a job. My brother also ended up transferring to Johnson & Wales in RI and he loves it! I hear CIA's externships are outta this world...